Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Looking to get started, any suggestions? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking to get started, any suggestions?  (Read 4902 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

on: March 04, 2005, 11:01:10 AM

I was at my friend's house last night playing in the Free Mode. I didn't do so hot...only won 1 game out of like the 6 i played to completion...but it kinda got me hooked a bit. I know the basics of the game...but from reading some of the other threads it just seems like I would get my ass handed to me non-stop, especially since I have no desire to dump money into this.

Any and all quality suggestions are appreciated.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Strazos

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 05:06:40 PM

Thanks for the help, fellas!! [/sarcasm]

Anyway, finally got my first win, besides my 1 or 2 others in which my opponent just didn't draw land.

http://strazos.4tehwin.org/wp-images/Win1.JPG

Watched the replay....was kinda scary, because he could have just had 2 of his samurai take a fall, and he would have taken a lot less damage and have killed me, but whatever.  cheesy

Anyway, anyone wanna pick my first deck apart?
http://strazos.4tehwin.org/wp-content/myfirstreddeck.txt

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Strazos

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 10:14:31 AM

Hmm...at the risk of looking like I am simply talking to myself, anyone able to point me towards some novice strategies?

After playing a few games with schild, he could prolly tell ya that while my decks are not neccessarily poorly put together, the do lack the kind of "In Your Face/Lockdown/OMFG You Lose Already" capabilities. Really, it's prolly just a case of me not knowing the uberleet ways of the game.

I emphasize Nove strats....While I do have 2 or 3 tix in reserve, I don't have a nearly large enough collection of cards to do something crazy and elaborate...such a a goofy friggin' Wall deck. wink

Fear the Backstab!
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 05:59:25 PM

Not ignoring you... just working up the energy to talk MtG strat. :P

Anyway, I got a brainburst premium sub a while back because it's cheap as chips and I like reading strategy articles (still read them occasionally now when I haven't been playing for ages). Since I don't use it too much I might as well offer it up to others here:

Site: http://www.brainburst.com
Username: Calantus
Password: f13temppass

I'd prefer it if people wouldn't mess with the account, but I won't be too upset if I lose it. Enjoy.

EDIT: This also gives access to other sites... if you dig around you'll be able to find the list somewhere I'm sure.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 06:00:56 PM by Calantus »
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 06:11:54 PM

Since I don't use it too much I might as well offer it up to others here:

Thanks a bunch, Calantus. This'll help a bunch on finding decks that I *thought* were original.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 08:54:19 PM

I'll throw you guys on the buddies list...  I'm on a fair amount late at night.

Here's a decklist for you.  Original,  and pretty decent.  Lot of rares, but they all are 1 or 2 ticket rares.

Gorya's Vengence                  4
Kuro, Pitlord                          4
The Unspeakable (shhhh!)      4
Iname, Death Aspect             3
Thirst for Knowledge              4
Pulse of the Grid                    4
Mind Wrench                         3
Nezumi GRaverobber               4
Zombify                                4
Slumbering Tora
   -or-
Razormane Masticore               4
Talisman of Dominance            4
Island                                   8
Swamp                                 8
Mirrodin's Core                       4

It's my new pride and joy....  Been womping on people.  All type 2 legal.  Think all told it was 25 or 30 tickets for bad rares without hitting up Schild or bargain shopping.  Had a minor brainstorm.

I have another decklist a buddy is building... pretty cheap,  and seems to work.  Affinity after ban,  mostly commons/uncommons cept for chrome mox, which is pricey.
Strazos

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 09:18:04 PM

Speaking of type 2 legal (which I don't understand anyway)...

Why am I not allowed to join standard games....says a bunch of my cards are invalid or somesuch. =/

Fear the Backstab!
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 09:38:21 PM

Type 2, also called standard, is made up of the cards from the most recent two blocks, and anything in eighth edition.  The two most recent blocks are Mirrodiin-Darksteel-FifthDawn and Champions-Betrayers.  So if you're playing with cards not from those sets, that also aren't eight edition cards, you can't play standard until you remove the offending cards from your decks.
      Online extended, though, you can play with just about anything, except for banned cards, and theres always extended games firing in the casual room.  Even if some of the decks you'll face aren't really casual.   
      Starcitygames.com has a great fundamentals section.  Browse the archives a bit.  There's also a weekly column on there that deals with decent casual decks, called From Right Field by Chris Romeo, which is pretty good (and more importantly, not premium).  I'd say check the recent archives on that too.
      I assume I'm still in the clan, and I've got a fairly redonkulous collection so I can play at any level ya want.  Problem is, WoW has consumed my computer fun time, so I don't know how often you'll see me online :)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 09:38:56 PM

Speaking of type 2 legal (which I don't understand anyway)...

Why am I not allowed to join standard games....says a bunch of my cards are invalid or somesuch. =/

Basically,  Magic is divided up into a few different formats:

Limited -- This is draft or sealed deck.  You onlly play it in tourneys.

Type 2 --  These are the most recent sets.  Right now,  that's Mirrodin Block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn), 8th edition (basic set), and Kamigawa (Champions and Betrayers)

Block --  Will be only 1 block that's legal...  Right now,  that's usually Kamigawa Block (Betrayers and Champions).  Not sure if anyone
  plays Mirrodin block anymore.

Extended --  Online,  this is pretty much everything, unless banned.

Open --  Play with any card,  no limits to how many copies (usually limit is 4)

Tribal, Prismatic, and Solitaire I have less idea about.  

Generally,  you can find the type and style of magic you like playing.  I'm a type 2 whore,  but I don't mind extended.  Little or no experience with the others.  (Extended turns into who throws around the priciest cards sometimes,  and I think it's worse online).

I think in your deck building screen you can choose to only show cards by set/which format.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 02:38:38 AM

Open --  Play with any card,  no limits to how many copies (usually limit is 4)

Tribal, Prismatic, and Solitaire I have less idea about.
Open also throws out the 60-card minimum: I play a 40-card white Soldier deck, with 13 copies of that 1W cost 2/2 dude. That is fun. :)

Tribal: At least X % of your creatures must share the same creature type.

Prismatic: 250 cards, must have at least Y cards from each color. Will normally have more green than others, though, because of all the land-draw cards in that color.

Solitaire: Basically just to test out decks. You are player and opponent at the same time.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Looking to get started, any suggestions?  
Jump to: