Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: UE4 source available for $19/month subscription 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UE4 source available for $19/month subscription  (Read 8771 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

on: March 19, 2014, 10:57:21 AM

I figured some people here might be interested in this.

Unreal Engine 4 available for $19/month subscription + 5% royalty.  This includes the source code availability.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:12:45 PM

I figured some people here might be interested in this.

Unreal Engine 4 available for $19/month subscription + 5% royalty.  This includes the source code availability.

We got a demo of it at E3 a couple of years ago. The scripting stuff in there is insane. You can do a lot without needing any programmers.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 12:33:01 PM

Yeah I watched some blueprint videos.  When I worked at Auran I found Kismet a really good system and Blueprints looks much much better still.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 06:24:32 AM

Is this middle-ware moving to a different model in general, or a response to Unity basically eating everyone's lunch in the non AAA market?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:38:07 AM

I think it's a new model in general. Adobe showed that middleware as a service is the way forwards. Crytek are doing this as well now with Cryengine. Epic also made UE3 available for free if you wanted to play with it, you only had to upgrade to the full licence if you produced something commercial from it.

Unity is good because it's easy to use and makes compiling for different platforms a snap. Most of the other serious engines don't scale well to mobile - X-Com for the iPad was made in UE3 but it's a bloated monster.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 07:09:35 PM

Most small developers don't have a ton of money to pay a lot up front, nor are they going to make enough money for royalties to mean much. So a sub service is a good way to extract money from them.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 07:07:18 PM

And presumably you can subscribe for one month, and then keep what you've got (you just don't get upgrades/support after the sub lapses)?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 07:34:38 AM

And presumably you can subscribe for one month, and then keep what you've got (you just don't get upgrades/support after the sub lapses)?

Yep, they did mention that that's a fact (though the royalty is still a factor in that case).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: UE4 source available for $19/month subscription  
Jump to: