Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 11:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  (Read 308482 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1190 on: December 14, 2015, 01:17:15 PM

Just a reminder:

The LA screening is tonight, and there is also at least one screening for certain people involved in the making of the film (including people like software engineers that wrote the code for the tools used by the special effects people - folks that had no access to story materials what-so-ever until they see the final movie) that is also taking place sometime in the next 24 hours.  I'd expect major spoilers ('Vader is Luke's father' type spoilers) are likely to be everywhere in the next 12 hours. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: December 14, 2015, 01:26:48 PM

Tickets at 4pm on Friday. Plan to be in line by about 1:30pm to make sure we don't have to sit in the front row. Wife is going to drop my son off after school so he can join me in line.

I am just hoping I am not at the theatre that gets shot up by a madman. Because you know it is going to happen.

I won't lie, this is in the back of my mind as well. A conservative friend got pissed at me because he said he figured ISIS would shoot up a theater, I told him it'd be a pissed off white guy.

Sorry for the politics...uhhh....Han Solo shot first!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1192 on: December 14, 2015, 07:13:33 PM

I made sure to see the film midday Friday in an assigned seat fullsize IMAX.  All bases covered.  Except my damned Lando outfit.  Couldn't find one I liked.  swamp poop

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1193 on: December 14, 2015, 08:23:45 PM

I rented out an IMAX theater in Fresno to watch this on Monday. Am I an asshole?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: December 14, 2015, 08:38:45 PM

I rented out an IMAX theater in Fresno to watch this on Monday. Am I an asshole?

No, just crazy.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1195 on: December 14, 2015, 09:01:30 PM

I can live with that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1196 on: December 14, 2015, 09:33:54 PM

There is a big spoiler out there that involves some of the toy pictures.  Watch out for it.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1197 on: December 14, 2015, 09:45:51 PM

Saw it. Will still wait until I see the flick to decide whether I care or not.

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: December 14, 2015, 09:49:36 PM

I checked it out since Star Wars is shit and I'm not planning to see the movie. This 'spoiler' is weaksauce and most of the people here probably wouldn't even realize it's a spoiler if someone posted it.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1199 on: December 15, 2015, 06:30:08 AM

I might see it in a few years time on TV at Christmas Day and I'll lip read it as the siblings kids will be screaming at one another and larping the battle of Midway.

There is a review embargo out there till after the weekend apparently.

Hic sunt dracones.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: December 15, 2015, 06:37:47 AM

I might see it in a few years time on TV at Christmas Day and I'll lip read it as the siblings kids will be screaming at one another and larping the battle of Midway.

There is a review embargo out there till after the weekend apparently.

Actually the embargo is until tomorrow.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1201 on: December 15, 2015, 08:21:20 AM

... kids will be screaming at one another and larping the battle of Midway.

That sounds way more fun than watching Star Wars.

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1202 on: December 15, 2015, 08:54:50 AM

Yes, but I approve of this assholisheness. If I had the dosh, I'd do that kind of shit too.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1203 on: December 15, 2015, 10:16:20 AM

Renting is cool. Being in Fresno is a whole different story. Did you lose a bet?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1204 on: December 15, 2015, 10:31:34 AM

Fresno could cosplay as Mos Eisley though. I think if I rented an IMAX in Fresno, I'd just stay in the IMAX and not come out again.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1205 on: December 15, 2015, 10:34:35 AM

... and spoiled.

Someone at work walking by talking about what they just read on Reddit.  Might not be legit, but most likely is...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1206 on: December 15, 2015, 11:33:33 AM

Due to an interesting combo of being in a foreign country where few people speak English, and not actually trying to pay attention, I know almost nothing about this film.  I saw the first half ass'ed trailer that shows a star destroyer in the dessert with a few random scene cuts, and that's it.  Have read nothing else about it, have seen nothing else.  Pretty happy with this turn of events, but I have a nasty feeling I'm going to have to go find an English showing of this sooner than later to avoid having the entire damn plot revealed to me before I see it.  Which is tricky because the Russians are even worst about forcing films to be dubbed for them than we are (and the dubbing is always incredibly BAD), which means the tickets for those few showings are going to be fought over by russian nerds and expats hardcore for months.

In short, Thanks Obama.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1207 on: December 15, 2015, 02:15:15 PM

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1208 on: December 15, 2015, 02:25:47 PM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1209 on: December 15, 2015, 02:26:51 PM

I somehow can't force myself to actually book tickets for this and I know that I can't just turn up to the cinema. I figure I don't waste time on that many internet boards, as long as no-one spoils it here I'll probably make it through to next week.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1210 on: December 15, 2015, 02:47:41 PM

I somehow can't force myself to actually book tickets for this and I know that I can't just turn up to the cinema. I figure I don't waste time on that many internet boards, as long as no-one spoils it here I'll probably make it through to next week.
Do you leave the house? Cause if you don't, you might make it that long. I don't, and I figure I am 50-50 until Saturday.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: December 16, 2015, 05:15:35 AM

Reviews of this are better than any reviews of anything ever.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1212 on: December 16, 2015, 05:21:08 AM

Do you leave the house? Cause if you don't, you might make it that long. I don't, and I figure I am 50-50 until Saturday.

--Dave

I work with people who either aren't really planning to watch it or didn't know where was a new Star Wars coming out. Or in one great case, 'Star Wars? They're making a sequel to that? What do you mean there's more than 1 already?' The only other people I'm likely to be seeing are some friends before it comes out and family who know only slightly more than my co-workers.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: December 16, 2015, 05:36:18 AM

As I recall, the reviews of the Fandom Menace were glowing as well. At first.

The problem is that the people going to see it now are the die hard who have paid up front for it weeks ago and who would give a glowing review to Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher on screen reading the phone book. It will probably take months to get the first honest non hype fueled reviews.

Hic sunt dracones.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1214 on: December 16, 2015, 05:51:03 AM

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1215 on: December 16, 2015, 07:44:24 AM

As I recall, the reviews of the Fandom Menace were glowing as well. At first.

The problem is that the people going to see it now are the die hard who have paid up front for it weeks ago and who would give a glowing review to Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher on screen reading the phone book. It will probably take months to get the first honest non hype fueled reviews.

No, these are actual critic reviews. It's sitting at 97% on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment which is damned good for a Star Wars movie. It will likely drop more but I'd say it's well on the way to being one of the best reviewed Star Wars movies ever.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1216 on: December 16, 2015, 08:13:19 AM

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1217 on: December 16, 2015, 08:16:52 AM

Geeks of Doom gave it a good review for whatever that's worth.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1218 on: December 16, 2015, 08:20:40 AM

The guy at the NY Post gave it 2.5 / 4. Basically said it was good, but nothing new, most of the major plot points being rehashes from old movies. Disney giving Abrams his marching orders, to not screw it up with rank absurdity like the prequels, and give the universe a new solid base to construct a money hat factory. So it safely hits all the themes, to leave people warm with nostalgia, and tightly executed on plot and aesthetics to not piss off more rabid fans. Not having seen it of course, but seems like a fair review, pretty much what I was expecting.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #1219 on: December 16, 2015, 09:02:22 AM

A non-spoilered review:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-is-the-most-fun-ive-had-at-1748271186

Generally positive, lots of fun.  If that's accurate then I'll be happy enough.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1220 on: December 16, 2015, 10:11:28 AM

The guy at the NY Post gave it 2.5 / 4. Basically said it was good, but nothing new, most of the major plot points being rehashes from old movies. Disney giving Abrams his marching orders, to not screw it up with rank absurdity like the prequels, and give the universe a new solid base to construct a money hat factory. So it safely hits all the themes, to leave people warm with nostalgia, and tightly executed on plot and aesthetics to not piss off more rabid fans. Not having seen it of course, but seems like a fair review, pretty much what I was expecting.

I can live with this.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1221 on: December 16, 2015, 11:08:18 AM

So in a reversal of what I wrote above, turns out that while all the showings in Russian are sold out, the prime time evening slot they reserve for the English version had most of the seats left today.  And I was informed by co-workers they had already gone and bought me a ticket without asking, because why the fuck would I not be going to see it as soon as possible.  So, guess I'll actually be seeing it opening night here in Russia (Thursday), with great seats, in a theater that serves alcohol.  I'll make sure as soon as I get home I drunkenly post a string of un-hidden spoilers all over this thread.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1222 on: December 16, 2015, 11:19:31 AM

There's a theater locally that serves alcohol that has two Pizza Port beers on draft (Jon Solo and Hops Awaken) for the movie. Unfortunately, it's a little bit of a trek and coworkers are seeing it at 10:45 and taking the next day off, where I am working the next day.

Thankfully, one of hte local craft bars is also putting on a super fresh keg of Hops Awaken so the missus and I will go have a couple of pints after the movie.

beer geek.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1223 on: December 16, 2015, 11:30:40 AM

First!  Seen it!

I'd say it deserves pretty high praise.  Of course it is a bunch of rehashed themes, but did we ever really expect otherwise?  Execution is the key, and it generally did not disappoint.

Also, Daisy Ridley is so damn cute that I want to die.  Cuter than a bag of kittens.  And nicely sweaty throughout, which is a not a sentence I've ever even pondered before.

Oh, and Finn is Luke Skywalker's son.  Conceived by midichlorians, turns out.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:37:26 AM by Cyrrex »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1224 on: December 16, 2015, 11:32:24 AM

Quick, give us an animated gif that describes how you feel.

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: SW - Episode 7: Mary Sue wakes up but there's no coffee. RAGE.  
Jump to: