Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:37:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Scientists revive 'giant virus' from Siberian permafrost 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scientists revive 'giant virus' from Siberian permafrost  (Read 4795 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

on: March 04, 2014, 04:02:44 PM

Scientists revive 'giant virus' from Siberian permafrost

"To pull out a virus that's 30,000 years old and actually grow it, that's pretty impressive," said Scott O. Rogers of Bowling Green State University who was not involved in the research.

"who was not involved in the research" because digging up unknown viruses.

To search for giant viruses in the samples, the French researchers added bits of the permafrost to colonies of amoebae to see if any viruses in the permafrost could infect them. The amoebae began to die – a sign that something in the permafrost was killing them. When the scientists examined the colonies, they discovered that giant viruses were multiplying inside the amoebae.

"to see if any viruses in the permafrost", i.e. there are others in the samples they're bringing up, and they don't know what those do either.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 04:11:43 PM

Saw this, laughed, accepted end was near.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:14:15 PM

Please tell me the dog was ok?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:47:34 PM

Yeah I read that story and my immediate reaction was, 'this is not going to end well.'

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 05:44:01 PM

Yeah, you love the quote from the scientists about how (and I paraphrase here), "well shit ya'll....This is proof that we could dig up something totally awful that could kill everyone."   awesome, for real
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

I see no way this could go horribly wrong.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 07:53:01 PM

It's like none of them have seen The Thing.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:02:34 PM

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 12:32:18 AM

You can pick up an axe and go crazy,
but I can grow legs from my head...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 12:37:20 AM

These things are fascinating. They're kind of a missing link between virus and bacteria. They're so large and complex that instead of merely hijacking the cell's DNA, they need to construct their own specialized organelles which, in turn, construct the giant virus. One could say they have a portion of their life cycle in which they are functionally bacterial. Only a few species have been found in the present day, and they're so large that you pretty much need to be an amoeba in order to get infected by them. They don't fit through the sort of pathways that normal viruses use to infect, say, our cells.

In a microscope they look like hairy icosohedrons.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 01:37:17 AM

it's actually very important research thanks to climate change. The permafrost is already thawing in some places and this will likely continue going forward. When that happens we will be exposed to a whole lot of microorganisms, bacteria and virii that have been frozen in the permafrost for eons. If this story is any indication this will likely not end well for us if we're not prepared.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 06:47:11 AM

According to the wikipedia, it's far too late to worry.

Patrick Scheid, a parasitologist from the Central Institute of the Bundeswehr Medical Service in Koblenz, Germany, found one in 2008, in an amoeba living in the contact lens of a woman with keratitis.

Just learn to love the parasite.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 07:18:37 AM

it's actually very important research thanks to climate change. The permafrost is already thawing in some places and this will likely continue going forward. When that happens we will be exposed to a whole lot of microorganisms, bacteria and virii that have been frozen in the permafrost for eons. If this story is any indication this will likely not end well for us if we're not prepared.
Don't panic, we have hand sanitizer.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 07:40:07 AM

Isn't this a Syfy series?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 08:05:14 AM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 08:20:18 AM

Rogers considered the risk of an outbreak of resurrected viruses to be "extremely low", pointing out that scientists have been excavating permafrost and ice for decades without any known infections.
"But there's always the first instance, right?" he added.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/scientists-revive-giant-virus-from-siberian-permafrost-20140304-3418p.html#ixzz2v6dHtUfT

Thanks for the reassurance.

Asshole.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 08:24:35 AM

Edit: I am totally blind today.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:49:40 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 08:40:51 AM

Yup.
This is precisely what will happen once said amoeba get infected, then get introduced into the water supply, and some little kid goes swimming and forgets to plug his nose jumping into the water.  Alien macro-viral brain eating amoeba, or AMBEA ('cause all scientists love acronyms).

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 08:48:21 AM

Michael Crichton is unimpressed.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 07:12:56 AM

Don't panic, we have hand sanitizer.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Scientists revive 'giant virus' from Siberian permafrost  
Jump to: