Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:43:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam (temporary) deals - the thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam (temporary) deals - the thread  (Read 158156 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #315 on: June 27, 2018, 04:24:43 PM

Kid was asking for ARK. Noticed that it had the most hours played among my friends, so bought everything that was on sale. Does anyone still play it? I haven't bothered yet.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: June 27, 2018, 05:49:55 PM

Kid was asking for ARK. Noticed that it had the most hours played among my friends, so bought everything that was on sale. Does anyone still play it? I haven't bothered yet.

A buddy of mine was playing it on XBox and lost his shit when they collapsed a bunch of servers and basically deleted all of his progress in the process.  I tried to warn him because early access, but yeah.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
schild
Administrator

Reply #317 on: June 27, 2018, 05:59:41 PM

The original Lumines is the best puzzle game since Tetris first released, though Grandmaster is the best iterations of Tetris.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #318 on: June 27, 2018, 07:09:35 PM

I've had a lot of people suggesting it because I like stuff like 7 Days to Die, but watching some youtube plays I'm not sure. Took it off the wishlist after this past round of purchases, along with a couple others like The Forest.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: June 27, 2018, 07:48:50 PM

I tried to get into it but just couldn't. Too dickpunchy to play solo by default, too many sliders to try to get decent solo balance right. And fuck playing with internet randos.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #320 on: July 15, 2018, 11:36:18 AM

Slay the Spire is on a 37% discount.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #321 on: August 08, 2018, 10:13:44 AM

So a friend gifted me $30 and I bought No Man's Sky with it.  I tried for two days to get it to launch with no luck.  I refunded it and now I got me some $30!  Yahoo! But it's on Steam so I'm limited.  I was thinking of getting Project Gorgon.  It seems to be Skyrim but in an MMO.  It has great reviews so far.  It's very retro looking which I don't really mind.  There is basically no real Pvp, though, and eventually you can solo everything including dungeons.  It LOOKS fun but I thought I would check to see if anyone has played it and if they reccommend it.  I really can't afford to buy expensive games that I'm not going to play, even if it's someone else's money.  ;p

Actually, I just watched a short video on this game and it appears to be Asheron's Call with all the mod cons!  Not a totally bad thing.  Maybe.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:19:53 AM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #322 on: August 09, 2018, 07:55:04 AM

Maybe no one has tried this game.  Maybe I'll be the first.   ACK!  I hate being the first.  I'm much more comfortable with last.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: August 09, 2018, 07:59:25 AM

Alas, no advice.  Let us know how it goes.  awesome, for real

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: August 09, 2018, 09:10:48 AM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #325 on: August 09, 2018, 04:48:41 PM

I rolled my eyes so hard at you, Sky, that I broke my eyeballs.  Now they just hang there.   swamp poop

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #326 on: August 09, 2018, 05:29:19 PM

So a friend gifted me $30 and I bought No Man's Sky with it.  I tried for two days to get it to launch with no luck.  I refunded it and now I got me some $30!  Yahoo! But it's on Steam so I'm limited.  I was thinking of getting Project Gorgon.  It seems to be Skyrim but in an MMO.  It has great reviews so far.  It's very retro looking which I don't really mind.  There is basically no real Pvp, though, and eventually you can solo everything including dungeons.  It LOOKS fun but I thought I would check to see if anyone has played it and if they reccommend it.  I really can't afford to buy expensive games that I'm not going to play, even if it's someone else's money.  ;p

Actually, I just watched a short video on this game and it appears to be Asheron's Call with all the mod cons!  Not a totally bad thing.  Maybe.

People love Project Gorgon.

Husband-and-wife dev team. She worked on Asheron’s Call 1, Asheron’s Call: Throne of Destiny, EverQuest II, and EverQuest II: Echoes of Faydwer. He worked on Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, and Star Trek Online.

One of my Aussie guildmates has played the hell out of it. He kept updating us from his early days to becoming a high level player. Here are his tips, which he warns may be spoilers to some:

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #327 on: August 09, 2018, 07:23:47 PM

I did get the game and I like it so far.  It's easy to get distracted so I'm still in the tutorial area.  I haven't decided on what I want to be so I've just been punching things to death.  It works!  I love punching.  Anyway, I'll be skipping along punching stuff and suddenly it tells me I can skin stuff... or do autopsies... all sorts of things just kind of happen.  You can even level up dying... which I'm getting be awfully good at.  Thanks for the info and the spoilers, Tale.  I might need them eventually.  Like tomorrow.  :p  I was wary because it's in early access but I'm glad (so far) that I got it.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: August 09, 2018, 08:15:57 PM

I did get the game and I like it so far.  It's easy to get distracted so I'm still in the tutorial area.  I haven't decided on what I want to be so I've just been punching things to death.  It works!  I love punching.  Anyway, I'll be skipping along punching stuff and suddenly it tells me I can skin stuff... or do autopsies... all sorts of things just kind of happen.  You can even level up dying... which I'm getting be awfully good at.  Thanks for the info and the spoilers, Tale.  I might need them eventually.  Like tomorrow.  :p  I was wary because it's in early access but I'm glad (so far) that I got it.

You can also eventually play as a cow.  Oh, and watch out for the first boss on the starter island, Big Head or something.  He can curse you with a permanently large head that leaves you unable to wear helmets.  The only way to remove the curse is by defeating him.  You will definitely know when you're close to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8TNbKDYBTE
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #329 on: August 10, 2018, 10:06:29 AM

Oh, and watch out for the first boss on the starter island, Big Head or something.  He can curse you with a permanently large head that leaves you unable to wear helmets.  The only way to remove the curse is by defeating him.  You will definitely know when you're close to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8TNbKDYBTE

I wish you had told me that earlier.   ACK!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: August 10, 2018, 11:18:40 AM

I rolled my eyes so hard at you, Sky, that I broke my eyeballs.  Now they just hang there.   swamp poop
I was going to post some smarmy gif but it's not a good idea to google dangling eyeballs.

So I guess we're even?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #331 on: August 23, 2018, 12:16:16 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #332 on: August 23, 2018, 02:34:39 PM

hey indigo prophecy got remastered
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: August 30, 2018, 12:34:49 PM

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is free right now on Humble Bundle.  It's actually a pretty good 3rd person shooter with combat that feels very "weighty".

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/warhammer-40000-space-marine
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #334 on: November 21, 2018, 02:22:57 PM

It has begun. Ends 11/27 at 10 AM Pacific.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: November 23, 2018, 02:59:52 AM

Surprisingly, there are a number of VR games on my shortlist that have deeeeeep discounts, so I picked up a few.  Helps that I had 60 euro in my wallet.  Picked up Endless Space, which some compare to a dogfighting FTL rogue-like...controls will need some tweaking.  Doom VFR for half price or something.  Aaaaaaand Dirt Rally.  This is technically an Oculus game only for VR, but Revive is a thing, and it works perfectly.  80% off?  Hell yeah, finally.  And it is fucking glorious, even just playing on an xbox controller.  They nailed the VR on this one.  A Must Buy if you have any kind of VR headset, was something like 6 or 7 euro.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: November 29, 2018, 05:11:08 AM

And just because I mentioned it here....Doom VFR, while pretty okay and quite nice looking...it just made me realize that Doom BFG VR is a thing which is actually probably quite a bit better and I haven't finished it, so that got re-installed and I am playing that instead.  Not sure if that means I will refund VFR.

Everspace (not Endless Space, oops) might be a bit poorly optimized graphically for VR, and hence a bit barfy.  My stomach is pretty strong at this point, but still.  Probably a refund, not sure.

Dirt Rally is, as hinted at above, fucking awesome.  Fairly intense, but good to pop in and pop back out again.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: November 29, 2018, 09:18:20 AM

Burnout Paradise was one of my favorite 3D Vision games, alongside Tomb Raider Underworld. I think a lot of what worked well for that older tech will work well in the newer VR.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: November 29, 2018, 10:44:04 PM

Well, that's kind of something I have been saying for a while:  Much of the best VR stuff is from existing material that has been retrofitted.  I wish more developers would look into their legacy stuff and see where conversions can be done.  Based on what Bethesda has done, I am hoping like hell they are looking at FO3 and New Vegas.  Any older first person stuff has potential to work.  I'd sell my children for a working Jedi Outcast/Academy in VR.  They've done the whole Serious Sam series as well.

I think the reason it works so well is that you get an old game like Doom BFG, which looks like absolutely balls by today's standards in normal 2D gaming...in VR, it suddenly looks awesome, and because it is so old it runs perfectly.  Much easier than some little Indie studio trying to create something from the ground up.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: November 30, 2018, 06:22:12 AM

I think that's the rub of where I'm not into VR yet, the high specs (I have an older PC with a 970, because my display is 1080p and I'm fine with that) vs the displays still needing higher specs. Though I did poke around on BF to see if any deals on the Vive cropped up. A few years back, even, I probably would've jumped into it, but art is surprisingly expensive to learn.

Any reason you specify 1st-person? I prefer 3rd-person stuff and find 1st person feels dated or something.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: November 30, 2018, 11:06:05 PM

I got into it with a 970 card, and while doable...it does quickly lead you to wanting/needing more.  I have a 1080, and I sure do wish it was a shiny new 2080ti instead.

As to the first person preference...the answer to that becomes obvious the more you actually try VR.  It isn't because you cannot do third person stuff, it is just that the advantage of using VR for that sort of thing disappears, as does the immersiveness.  The headset and controllers are actually your head and your hands in any first person game.  So not only does it just make more natural sense to leverage that possibility due to the way the hardware works, but it changes the gaming paradigm completely.  There is no non-VR equivalent to the sense of immersion you get in a first person game, especially a good one like Skyrim.  The effect on your brain changes from being in control of a person in a remote-viewing sort of way, to actually being that person.  You don't march your character up to High Hrothgar, you march yourself up there.  You can almost feel the cold.  Your digital hands are decoupled from the screen and are now your own hands moving independently in all three dimensions.  Same for your head. It works the same for flying spaceships or driving cars.  You become the pilot.  You should try undocking your ship from a space station in E:D for the first time - your brain will experience real weightlessness, it's crazy.  Different skills take over as well.  Twitch skills are next to useless.  Spatial awareness, dexterity and the ability to aim IRL start to play into it.  Both my older sons would murder me in a 2d FPS game, but neither of them can shoot a zombie in the face for shit in VR.  Which leads to another point:  the immersiveness can be scary as a motherfucker.  A have a few games that about 50% of my friends/family utterly refuse to play.  I myself refuse to play a couple.  There is probably a conversation to be had on the way one's imagination works versus how much one will be affected by VR, because I am utterly convinced that there is a huge difference in the way people react to all of it.

Last but not least, third person VR for something like any kind of action game is even tougher on the stomach if the camera is not static.  Bethesda doesn't even include over the shouler views in their VR games.  It would be barf city for most.  A couple games sorta manage it okay, but you need an iron stomach.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #341 on: December 20, 2018, 01:40:15 PM

Winter sale live, blah blah blah...
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #342 on: December 20, 2018, 01:42:15 PM

Kind of sucks.  Sad Red Panda

-Rasix
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: December 20, 2018, 04:28:37 PM

Jurassic World: Evolution is 75% off. From what the reviews say, that price matches well with the game's fun.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #344 on: December 20, 2018, 06:40:31 PM

Dead by Daylight suppose to be good?  I remember there was talk about making a server for it.  Tempted to grab it on sale of others are interested.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #345 on: December 20, 2018, 07:25:20 PM

My wife loves it.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #346 on: December 20, 2018, 08:14:35 PM

I've been thinking of getting:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (65% off)
Assassin's Creed: Origins (67% off)

Any objections?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #347 on: December 20, 2018, 08:18:45 PM

I've been thinking of getting:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (65% off)
Not a good game.

Assassin's Creed: Origins (67% off)
Decent game but has both Denuvo and VMProtect because fuck PC gamers.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #348 on: December 30, 2018, 03:45:40 PM

This is the Police, Homeworld, Dishonored if you know any human that hasn't played it somehow, the BL2 Handsome Jack pack is a killer deal, I've been considering picking up BDO for $5 even though I probably shouldn't.

That's my late thoughts on this winter sale.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #349 on: December 30, 2018, 10:16:02 PM

here's what i got during the sale

wolcen
the division platinum gold ultimate whatever the fuck because it was like $13.49 or something and i apparently already had it on uplay but i couldn't find my 2fa shit but steam bypasses the 2fa and just launches uplay the whole thing is a disaster but division seems fun now, so fine
cat quest
vagante
overdungeon
it lurks below
haque
cultist simulator
tabletop simulator
scythe: digital
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam (temporary) deals - the thread  
Jump to: