Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:54:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy [Aug 2014] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy [Aug 2014]  (Read 53507 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #280 on: August 06, 2014, 07:16:44 PM

Interesting how former wrestlers are often pretty decent in movies.

I guess wrestling requires a certain amount of charisma and presence that translates over.

Edit: Thinking of The Rock, Bautista, Rowdy Roddy Piper, etc.

They are all acrobatic stunt actors by trade... so it really is not hard to buy.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: August 06, 2014, 07:59:19 PM

I guess wrestling requires a certain amount of charisma and presence that translates over.

They are all acrobatic stunt actors by trade... so it really is not hard to buy.

There are a lot of really bad wrestler actors too.  No one is going to break out and be another Rock though.  The only one that had a chance was Stone Cold, but his body is so beat and he couldn't really act outside his character.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: August 06, 2014, 08:08:28 PM

Not  necessarily a good tagline... it would be the same tagline you'd use for Eldest (edit - yeah, Eragon) ( was that the name of that crappy dragon movie/book?)

Uhhh...no. At best Eragon would be a bunch of 12 year olds who just started RPing.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: August 06, 2014, 09:15:11 PM

Eragon is just "Dragon" with the D changed to an E - the next character over in the alphabet. Basically the laziest possible way to make the word "Dragon" trademarkable.

Guys, I have a great idea for new superhero. I call him "Xolverine"

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #284 on: August 06, 2014, 09:18:36 PM

It makes more sense if you think of "wrestling" as a mix of interpretive dance and improv.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: August 06, 2014, 09:27:07 PM

Eragon is just "Dragon" with the D changed to an E - the next character over in the alphabet. Basically the laziest possible way to make the word "Dragon" trademarkable.

*laughs* I never noticed that before! Though in fairness I've paid very little attention to Eragon other than my daughter talking me into watching that piss-poor movie. I remember my main thought being "ok, Jeremy Irons is a well known paycheck whore but Rachel Weisz? Did the director have blackmail material on you?"

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: August 07, 2014, 01:09:20 AM

It's not hard to get such material on Rachel.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: August 07, 2014, 04:33:53 AM

*laughs* I never noticed that before!

I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out to me.

It's pretty clever in that changing the D to an E totally changes the pronunciation. But you'll never forget the name again, now that you know how dumb it is.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #288 on: August 07, 2014, 05:34:00 AM

He'll be a doctor of Mutantology.  We can call him Dr. X!

Big actors signed up for Eragon because the book series was hugely popular, and still was afterwards despite the movie flopping so hard.  Source: worked in a bookstore during the release of the series finale.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: August 07, 2014, 08:17:56 AM

It's as popular as it is in part because some nerd YA readers: a) hadn't read LoTR or even some of the early LoTR pastiche-ripoffs like Shannara, so they don't spot how woeful the rehash of Tolkien is and b) they really liked the life story of the author: home-schooled teenager writes fantasy novel while still a teenager! Awesome!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #290 on: August 09, 2014, 07:46:41 AM

I saw this last night.  Predictably, after all the massive hype I was a bit let down that it's not my new favorite movie in the world, but it was one of the better Marvel flicks for sure.  I actually expect to like GotG2 more, because to me the parts of the movie that shone were the ones where they were doing cool shit as a team (which is a reversal for me because usually I find the "origin story" more interesting than the actual hero stuff).

Rocket was my favorite character far and away.  That really surprised me.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #291 on: August 09, 2014, 12:35:29 PM

Rocket was my favorite character far and away.  That really surprised me.

One thing that's nice about them doing such a good job with Rocket is I've been seeing a good amount of media coverage about the nightmarish health care issues his co-creator Bill Mantlo has been dealing with for the past 20+ years since being the victim of a hit and run.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: August 09, 2014, 07:46:03 PM

Just saw this today. It was a fun movie that had me laughing and enjoying myself. I don't think it lived up to the hype but TBH I enjoyed it more than the Avengers.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: August 09, 2014, 08:10:17 PM

Just got back from this.  Good movie, the whole family enjoyed it.  I'd put it on par with Avengers.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: August 10, 2014, 04:25:37 AM

Brought my kids yesterday.  First half was awesome.  Great stuff.  Second half was the same exact tired shit we've all seen a hundred thousand times.  What the fuck.

Why don't you try our other games?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: August 10, 2014, 06:19:37 AM

So you went into the space action movie expecting...less spaceships?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: August 10, 2014, 09:07:43 AM

SPACESHIP!

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: August 10, 2014, 10:21:42 AM

Different movie altogether!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #298 on: August 10, 2014, 10:45:35 AM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: August 10, 2014, 11:08:10 AM

All right, but apart from the movie titles, the nobodies, the music, the artifacts, the pursuit, the lovable band of misfits, the force of destruction, SPACESHIP, and Chris Pratt, how are the movies in any way similar?

/Monty Python
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #300 on: August 10, 2014, 01:05:11 PM

All right, but apart from the movie titles, the nobodies, the music, the artifacts, the pursuit, the lovable band of misfits, the force of destruction, SPACESHIP, and Chris Pratt, how are the movies in any way similar?

/Monty Python

Brought peace?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: August 11, 2014, 02:11:12 AM

Took two of my boys to see this over the weekend.  It is really entertaining in its own right, even if it might not be quite up to the hype.  Rocket was definitely my favorite.  I fully expected that character to be retarded, but it wasn't at all.  Groot was the boys' favorite, and it isn't hard to see why.

One thing that I feel should be said is this:  the visuals are mind-blowingly gorgeous.  The best I have ever seen.  This is how you do CGI and make it look real.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: August 11, 2014, 02:32:26 AM

One thing that I feel should be said is this:  the visuals are mind-blowingly gorgeous.  The best I have ever seen.  This is how you do CGI and make it look real.
Actually gives you a bit of hope that if they ever do decide to do a Planet Hulk Movie, where Bruce banner gets 5% screen time and Hulk the other 95% , that might look completely believable.  Would be kind of neat to see a pretty much 100% CGI cast in a "Live Action" CGI movie that looks almost 100% believable.  They could even pretty much jump the Uncanny Valley simply due to the crazyass "comic book" look Hulk and everyone he interacts with would have (it's not going to look "unnatural" when it does not try to look completely "natural" to begin with).

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: August 11, 2014, 02:34:51 AM

Was the 'Hype' over there that bad ?  I keep hearing 'hype' type comments and, apart from you chaps, all we heard pre-release over here for this film was 'talking raccoon and tree, this will never work.'

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #304 on: August 11, 2014, 02:46:01 AM

I'm assuming they are referring to everybody here (and maybe some other internet hype since it's been very well received).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: August 11, 2014, 07:01:52 AM

I'm assuming they are referring to everybody here (and maybe some other internet hype since it's been very well received).

Yeah, this. 

Whatever, it is a fun movie and deserves most of the positive commentary. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #306 on: August 11, 2014, 08:43:41 AM

Not just internet hype, it was critically well received basically everywhere. It has a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes. Word of mouth from every source was positive. And then there was crazy amounts of internet hype. This movie would have blown my mind had I gone into it expecting nothing at all. Shame that really. I think I enjoyed it a little bit less than I should have and I saw it 4th day of release. I really feel for people just getting to it now.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: August 11, 2014, 08:48:46 AM

I clearly missed most of that.  I knew from here that people thought it was good, but the rest of the world hadn't yet exploded to my knowledge.  (Even though they clearly had.)

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: August 11, 2014, 08:56:18 AM

/Monty Python

Do you mind if we call you Bruce?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: August 11, 2014, 09:43:30 AM

I completely ignore the hype of what other people think simply because so many popular movies I considered crap and I liked lots of things that got panned.

Thankfully I did quite enjoy it and I'm looking forward to more.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #310 on: August 11, 2014, 10:27:54 AM

I was trying to figure out why this movie was doing so poorly internationally, as the international total is only 43% of US market's total.  I discovered it's not in Japan, China or India at this time.  Interesting.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #311 on: August 11, 2014, 04:31:19 PM

I actually wouldn't be all that surprised if it doesn't do as well as people think (though I am probably wrong). I liked it, but it honestly didn't live up to the hype. I thought the dialogue, especially, was somewhat stiff. Plus the whole Groot-cutesy-animu-face thing really didn't work for me.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: August 11, 2014, 05:13:35 PM

I actually wouldn't be all that surprised if it doesn't do as well as people think (though I am probably wrong). I liked it, but it honestly didn't live up to the hype. I thought the dialogue, especially, was somewhat stiff. Plus the whole Groot-cutesy-animu-face thing really didn't work for me.

It's already beat transformers 4's 10-day with projected gross is 175.9mil total and is likely to be the top grossing movie so far this year so...I don't think it's under performing at all.  Also, it's not in china or japan and a couple other markets for some reason.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #313 on: August 11, 2014, 05:14:25 PM

Test audiences wondering why the tanuki doesn't have giant balls?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #314 on: August 11, 2014, 05:25:33 PM

It did well enough to guarantee the sequel will be made, which is enough for most. It's 10-day domestic is better than TF4 did and it's already in the top 10 for the year.

It will overtake Spidey 2 but might not breach, Lego or Cap 2. Depends on if TMNT hurts it long-term since they're competing in the same space now that opening weekends are over. Part of that depends on how long they can keep it in the additional 235+ domestic theaters it opened in vs. TMNT.

Expendables 3 this weekend and Sin City next will draw some of both crowds, but not families. I can see families going for TMNT over guardians as one's a familiar property, though both are probably equally crude/ offensive to moms who want to protect their kids.

It should also never be understated just how much Marvel built up anticipation and prepped audiences for this. They've spent the better part of a year trying to sell this to audiences and it's paid off. Imagine if it had released without the teaser build from February or the tie-ins that got comic geeks talking about it prior to June/ July.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy [Aug 2014]  
Jump to: