Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:02:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2014  (Read 382380 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1715 on: January 20, 2015, 11:21:57 AM

Edit for Nebu:  No idea, Wilson has never had a decent line.  They are downright bad at pass protection and mediocre at best at run blocking (Marshawn inflates their numbers by being ridiculous after contact).  It's not a bad point, though.  Then again, I think Brady actually always has pretty decent weapons at his disposal, so I am not sure he could do it either.

Are you saying that Okung and Unger are getting Pro Bowl votes because they're bad?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Actually they can't stay healthy. Specially Okung. So LT can be good when Okung is playing and healthy which if you look at his career has been basically one season. Unger is great but he spent a lot of time hurt this year. Hawks were playing with a 4th string center at one point this season. They have been playing a rookie at RT that may end up good but so far has spent all season getting embarrassed. Guards are good run blockers and anywhere from so so to bad at pass pro. The Oline could be decent but the last 2-3 years has been bad for various reasons. Wilson and Lynch both make them look better.

Yeah, this.  The two good ones they have are injured all the time, and Okung is probably overrated.  The rest of them are borderline terrible.

GB was too conservative on both sides of the ball in the second half, and yeah, using the prevent defense and playing not to lose is infuriating.  Seattle also was luckier than shit, but they also made plays when it counted and made GB look positively stupid in those last five minutes, by doing the exact opposite of conventional wisdom.  I think McCarthy is more to blame than Capers (in this game), but there is a lot of blame to go around.  

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1716 on: January 20, 2015, 11:34:23 AM

Moving on to the SB match-up, two things I am thinking the game might hinge on (besides obvious injury questions):

"U Mad Bro?"  Yes, I bet Tom Brady is plenty mad about it.  I remember him being very well behaved when asked about that comment a couple years ago when that happened, but I don't think he forgot at all and will have a chip on his shoulder in this game.  A bigger one than usual.

Seattle's Defense against Edelman and Gronk.  In theory, this is much like what they dealt with during the SB last year.  I somehow expect Belichek and Brady won't roll over like a couple of bitches the way John Fox and Manning did.  No idea what to expect.

And the X factor...does NE have a speedy LB who can spy Wilson?  I'm at a loss.  Their DE Jones is too big, right?.  Ninkovic is...too slow?  Seriously, who do they have that can deal with Wilson one-on-one?  I don't think using a DB or Safety is a good idea.  If I was Bevell, I would consider a game plan that get's Wilson running like a mad man via the read option, because NE might be ripe for it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1717 on: January 20, 2015, 12:23:35 PM

Jamie Collins might be your man.

Seattle should be favourites but I would be very surprised if it's a blowout like last year.

It's just a guess but NE may sell out to contain Wilson and Lynch hoping that their cornerbacks are good enough to shutdown the passing attack on their own.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:25:39 PM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1718 on: January 20, 2015, 12:44:59 PM

I'm not going to do what I did last year and suddenly forget that the better defensive team usually wins these games. My money will be on the Seahawks.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1719 on: January 20, 2015, 12:55:33 PM

The winner will be....

/* SNORE */

Sorry, fell asleep there. What were we talking about again?

Seahawks win. I will struggle to give any fucks about the game or the winner.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1720 on: January 20, 2015, 01:00:42 PM

I fully expect Russell to play like shit for half the game, so like 50% passing but make enough late plays to win, and get the MVP as my hatred of the guy will grow.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1721 on: January 20, 2015, 01:22:02 PM

I'm going Patriots. Brady is on his game this year and the rest of the team is playing just as well. I also do not care about this game and am only slightly rooting for the Patriots because I hate their fanbase less and I think Wilson is massively overrated.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1722 on: January 20, 2015, 01:25:15 PM

I fully expect Russell to play like shit for half the game, so like 50% passing but make enough late plays to win, and get the MVP as my hatred of the guy will grow.

Don't forget the obnoxious crying and over the top interview to be given after the game (that act on Sunday was fucking ridiculous).

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1723 on: January 20, 2015, 01:27:25 PM

Patridiots 34 / Seattle 21.

awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1724 on: January 20, 2015, 03:50:36 PM

Oh God, Please Let Someone Hire Mike Martz as OC

I mean, if he does get hired in Cleveland, I expect Johnny Manziel to be literally snapped in half by the middle of the season. So you Browns fans better hope for a good 3rd string QB.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1725 on: January 20, 2015, 04:05:20 PM

Oh God, Please Let Someone Hire Mike Martz as OC

I mean, if he does get hired in Cleveland, I expect Johnny Manziel to be literally snapped in half by the middle of the season. So you Browns fans better hope for a good 3rd string QB.

I don't think cirrhosis works that way.

e- http://deadspin.com/not-even-hockey-is-safe-for-packers-fans-right-now-1680633781?

awesome, for real
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:10:36 PM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1726 on: January 21, 2015, 05:34:55 AM

BALLGHAZI

Apparently now the Raven's kickers and punters are claiming that their balls were underinflated during their game against the Patriots; even though the kicking balls they used would have been their own team's responsibility...

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1727 on: January 21, 2015, 06:00:17 AM

The problem isn't the act at this point. The problem is that the Patriots got caught cheating AGAIN. This is all Belichick is going to be known for if he wins. Nothing he can do now will change that. Nobody will believe that he can win without cheating outside of New England.

The dumbest thing about all this is they are going to be allowed to play in the Super Bowl. If I ever got to the AFC or NFC championship, and I knew this gave me an advantage? I'd do it again. What's the penalty? You lose a draft pick? Who cares, you're in the fucking Super Bowl now. People won't give a shit about your 32nd or 31st draft pick.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1728 on: January 21, 2015, 06:07:42 AM

Wait, that under inflated ball story was actually true?  ACK!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1729 on: January 21, 2015, 06:24:00 AM

Cheating?  Do these teams not have a ball pump?  Complaining about ball pressure, AFTER THE FACT, seems pathetic for any team.  If anything, it's the officials fault.  Their job is to police this crap.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:26:33 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1730 on: January 21, 2015, 06:28:38 AM

Cheating?  Do these teams not have a ball pump?  Complaining about ball pressure, AFTER THE FACT, seems pathetic for any team. 

AFAIK the teams are responsible for their own balls. So Brady will be passing with a ball provided by the NE sideline and Wilson with one handled by the Seattle equipment guys. Same for kickers of course- which makes the Ravens complaining more than hilarious and pitiful. So that's the issue- softer balls being easier to handle in all phases is an advantage and might make the difference in some of the more difficult catches. It's been reported that D'Qwell Jackson brought it up to the Colts sideline after his interception that the ball felt kinda soft.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1731 on: January 21, 2015, 06:36:48 AM

I remember when football used to be fun.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1732 on: January 21, 2015, 06:38:50 AM

Competitive football is all about getting away with everything you can.  Anyone that claims otherwise never played.  That was all part of the fun.  It was like the game within a game.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1733 on: January 21, 2015, 06:43:20 AM

Competitive football is all about getting away with everything you can.  Anyone that claims otherwise never played.  That was all part of the fun.  It was like the game within a game.

That's not what I meant.  I meant as a fan, now everything is a fucking scandal.  As a fan, I literally don't give a crap about this, but now it is all I am going to hear about for 2 weeks instead of being able to just get hyped up and enjoy the Super Bowl.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1734 on: January 21, 2015, 06:56:05 AM

AFAIK the teams are responsible for their own balls. So Brady will be passing with a ball provided by the NE sideline and Wilson with one handled by the Seattle equipment guys. Same for kickers of course- which makes the Ravens complaining more than hilarious and pitiful. So that's the issue- softer balls being easier to handle in all phases is an advantage and might make the difference in some of the more difficult catches. It's been reported that D'Qwell Jackson brought it up to the Colts sideline after his interception that the ball felt kinda soft.

And yet the refs handle every ball during the game on every down. You'd think handling each ball would have arose suspicion during the game when teams changed sides - like hey, this ball seems a little softer than that last one I placed.

And what the hell kinda dumb shit idea is it for each team to be responsible for their own footballs? Why is this even the case? Footballs should be controlled by the officials, otherwise you will always have this concern. Now the question becomes, how many other teams do this? I highly doubt Belichek is the only coach to use this tactic...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1735 on: January 21, 2015, 07:01:40 AM

It's currently 'under investigation' but it doesn't matter whether it's true or not; in the minds of those who hate the patriots it will be a settled matter and will forever be further evidence that the team can only win my cheating. If the NFL finds no wrongdoing it will just be a another conspiracy that shows how the NFL favours the Pats, or is bribed by Kraft, or loves Brady, or some stupid shit.

As best I can follow, the balls were prepared normally and supervised by the refs as usual, then at some unspecified point during the first half someone on the Pat's sideline deflated 11 of their 12 game balls, but this wasn't noticed by the refs, despite the fact that they handle the balls on every snap. But it was noticed by a Colts equipment manager, who was given a pats ball by their LB who picked off Tom Brady. At half time the balls were tested and reinflated to the correct range, after which the Pats suffered the change by playing even better on both sides of the ball.

Sounds like the perfect conspiracy to me. Or maybe the pressure gauge used before the game was faulty, or maybe the cold weather had some effect.

In other news The NFL has warned teams not to warm footballs on the sidelines

This whole non-story is beyond dumb

Also:

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1736 on: January 21, 2015, 07:38:21 AM

And yet the refs handle every ball during the game on every down. You'd think handling each ball would have arose suspicion during the game when teams changed sides - like hey, this ball seems a little softer than that last one I placed.

And what the hell kinda dumb shit idea is it for each team to be responsible for their own footballs? Why is this even the case? Footballs should be controlled by the officials, otherwise you will always have this concern. Now the question becomes, how many other teams do this? I highly doubt Belichek is the only coach to use this tactic...

Mike Greenberg was saying this morning that during an interview about this he has handed two footballs. One inflated to 13.5lbs, the other to 9.5lbs. He said that when he squeezed them he could notice a "slight" difference. The Pats are accused of under inflating the balls by 2lbs. It's pretty unlikely you'd notice the difference on a ball at 11.5lbs unless you were actively comparing it to a fully inflated one side by side.

It's a minor rule infraction that likely did little more than just make the ball "feel" a bit better. That being said, makes you wonder how many minor rule infractions the Pats (and other teams) get away with.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1737 on: January 21, 2015, 08:56:58 AM

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1738 on: January 21, 2015, 09:39:25 AM

Yes, and I'm already sick to fucking death of it.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1739 on: January 21, 2015, 10:51:22 AM

If it didn't give them an advantage, why did they do it? It obviously matters to a guy like Brady or he wouldn't bother. And you know that Brady knew, and was likely the guy who told them to do it. You don't just fuck around with Brady's equipment on a whim. You don't give him something he's not used to. He knew.

People hate the Patriots because they are the Patriots and because they've been caught before. Now, it's just a gigantic asterisk next to the Super Bowl. If I'm the commish at minimum I suspend the coach for the Super Bowl. At worst, as repeat offenders I remove them from the game. Why? Because football has been a PR clusterfuck all year and now you get this to end the season. It's a black eye and the assumed opinion is that nobody is accountable from the NFL if you're in the club.

What gets me is what if this was in the Green Bay game? What if we find that Seattle was underinflating balls in the second half? And that in a close game we suddenly had this happen? Because I guarantee you if the Pats get a slap on the wrist for this, it will happen again. There's no reason not to cheat because there are no real consequences.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1740 on: January 21, 2015, 10:53:26 AM

There's getting away with stuff as a player and then there's systematically violating the rules from the coaches on down. Big gap there.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1741 on: January 21, 2015, 10:58:21 AM

Guys, there's a simple explanation.

If it took an interception for a Colt player to say "hey, this is flat", wouldn't a ref notice that pretty quickly?  They handle the balls (hyuk hyuk) quite often during the course of a game.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:01:45 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1742 on: January 21, 2015, 11:09:21 AM

"The Drive" still haunts every single Browns fan who was alive during the 80s.  ACK!

That FG missed. Fuck Denver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2O7bDqMO0I

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1743 on: January 21, 2015, 11:14:05 AM

If it didn't give them an advantage, why did they do it?

If it gave them an advantage, why were they so much better in the second half with the non-deflated balls?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1744 on: January 21, 2015, 11:38:58 AM

There's getting away with stuff as a player and then there's systematically violating the rules from the coaches on down. Big gap there.

Are you really this fired up about the whole ball pressure thing or do you just hate Belichick that much? I'm guessing the latter.  Coaches have been looking for ways to gain an advantage since humans have been competing in sport.  It's the nature of competition... particularly when large sums of money are involved.

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #1745 on: January 21, 2015, 11:41:56 AM

The guy is a proven cheater. He has been caught twice now. What else is he doing that hasn't come to light yet? Would you still play cards with a guy who got caught cheating in a dumb way? Or would you worry that he might figure out a better way to cheat you?

On another note- This might be Marshawn Lynch's greatest achievement

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1746 on: January 21, 2015, 11:43:53 AM

Are you really this fired up about the whole ball pressure thing or do you just hate Belichick that much? I'm guessing the latter.  Coaches have been looking for ways to gain an advantage since humans have been competing in sport.  It's the nature of competition... particularly when large sums of money are involved.

Eh, it's understandable (IMO) for people to have a harsh stance on cheating.  You might want to be cognizant if your rather lax view, especially when it comes to issues such as steroids and other PEDs.  Getting an advantage can cross a line (a clearly defined rule) into the realm of cheating and when it does there should be some punishment/enforcement mechanism in place (if you're caught  awesome, for real). 

I don't consider this one a huge deal, and honestly if these balls were as flat as they were, how did they pass a basic sniff test from the refs?  I chalk this one up to poor enforcement of the rules. Indy got fucking wrecked anyhow.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:49:40 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1747 on: January 21, 2015, 11:47:00 AM

The guy is a proven cheater. He has been caught twice now. What else is he doing that hasn't come to light yet? Would you still play cards with a guy who got caught cheating in a dumb way? Or would you worry that he might figure out a better way to cheat you?

They all cheat.  ALL OF THEM.  Belichick is just smarter and better.  That's why so many people in and out of the league hate the guy.  That and his whole smug schtick.

If the NFL wanted to stop cheating (and criminal behavior of the players) it could.  Easily.  There's just way too much financial incentive to let the small things slide or punish them with a token slap on the wrist. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:51:53 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1748 on: January 21, 2015, 11:56:59 AM

They all cheat.  ALL OF THEM.  Belichick is just smarter and better.  That's why so many people in and out of the league hate the guy.  That and his whole smug schtick.

If the NFL wanted to stop cheating (and criminal behavior of the players) it could.  Easily.  There's just way too much financial incentive to let the small things slide or punish them with a token slap on the wrist.  

If Belichick is smarter and better at cheating, then why is he the one that keeps getting caught at it?  Head scratch

Regardless of how much cheating actually goes on, it behooves the NFL to give the public the perception that cheating is not tolerated.  A slap on the wrist on a multiple offender would only further harm an NFL brand that has taken a lot of hits this year.

Over and out.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1749 on: January 21, 2015, 12:01:49 PM

If deflated balls are actually better, then why are they inflated so much to begin with?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 57 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014  
Jump to: