Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:47:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2014  (Read 382402 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1085 on: November 04, 2014, 12:47:45 PM

I know I'm late but what the shit happened to my fantasy teams last week?  Did San Diego eventually arrive at the stadium?

In other news, I must publicly announce that my biggest mistake this season was rage-dropping Brady.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1086 on: November 04, 2014, 03:18:13 PM

Did San Diego eventually arrive at the stadium?

Not that you could tell. Somebody in their uniforms appeared, but I refuse to believe it wasn't an entire team full of Make a Wish candidates.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1087 on: November 04, 2014, 03:32:24 PM

I sort of wish I could have watched some of that game from between my fingers.  I did get to see New England deconstruct Denver, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1088 on: November 04, 2014, 03:49:16 PM

I just tend to watch Redzone mostly these days, especially when the Niners aren't doing well. For the afternoon games this week, they pretty much focused on the Patriots/Broncos game as much as possible, occasionally going over to the Seahawks/Raiders. They pretty much only reluctantly showed the Niners/Rams game when the other two games were on a commercial break. I was ok with that (as well as with the announcer saying things like "and now back to Santa Clara" rather than San Francisco).
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1089 on: November 05, 2014, 10:51:04 AM

The Ryan Mallett era begins.

Houston is going to finish 7-9, in the worst possible draft position because other people in their own division are committed to shitting the bed for draft picks from the jump.

Were I them, I'd tank now. Hard. Finish 4-12 and get a tradable slot where you can move up for a QB without giving away the farm.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1090 on: November 05, 2014, 10:52:53 AM

The Ryan Mallett era begins.

I've watched him play most of his career.  He's an amazing physical talent but dumb as a bag of hammers.  I don't think he'll ever be any more than a backup.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1091 on: November 05, 2014, 11:00:04 AM

TBF, I was kind of surprised the Mallett era didn't begin the minute they acquired him. Any idiot whose watched Fitzpatrick since the modicum of success he had in Buffalo would know he's a turnover machine who could also score some TD's, but he wasn't anything to build a championship around. The bigger concern should be that their defense is dead last in yards given up, 11th in points per game and 17th in sacks, and their running game is relying on Arian Foster's legs which seem to be made of silly putty. That defense and run game is what got them to the playoffs and what will help out whoever is at QB.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1092 on: November 05, 2014, 11:15:25 AM

Is Fitzpatrick hurt or did he finally give the job away? It was inevitable.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1093 on: November 05, 2014, 05:18:24 PM

Is Fitzpatrick hurt or did he finally give the job away? It was inevitable.

Gave the job away. Here's the upside: Mallett has three years working under Tom Brady. Even if Brady is a complete dick and taught you nothing personally, you at least got to see how one of the best QB's in the game goes about his business by just being around him.

I'm sort of rooting for the guy. He's done it the right way in my mind. Stay behind a seasoned veteran, learn how the NFL works, then get your start after a year or so. In his case, it just took a few more years due to the Patriots not needing him.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1094 on: November 06, 2014, 04:33:25 PM

Gave the job away. Here's the upside: Mallett has three years working under Tom Brady. Even if Brady is a complete dick and taught you nothing personally, you at least got to see how one of the best QB's in the game goes about his business by just being around him.

How does that logic work with Favre and Rodgers then?  awesome, for real

Because by all accounts Favre treated Rodgers like shit, and I'm pretty sure Rodgers didn't learn much about football by shadowing Favre as he went to AA meetings, visited his cousins at their trailer, and chain-banged his way through the coed dorms of UoW.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1095 on: November 06, 2014, 08:27:16 PM

I think it helped Rodgers immensely. Favre's a shithead, but you learn a ton from watching successful shitheads, and you learn how to avoid their mistakes too.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1096 on: November 06, 2014, 08:50:28 PM

The QB ahead of you isn't going to be the only one teaching you shit about being a starting QB. It doesn't hurt if you actually have a shitton of talent too. For all Rodgers does with reading the game, he's also just a really good athlete. He makes a number of plays with his feet without ever being considered a "running" QB.

So I guess the Bengals invitations to tonight's game got lost in the mail? Because that's not an NFL team out there. They are sucking wind. Their defense isn't doing much and Andy Dalton looks like he couldn't hit the broad side of a fucking barn. Does he just totally wither on nationally televised games?

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1097 on: November 06, 2014, 08:51:27 PM

I think Andy Dalton needs someone to teach him how to play QB.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1098 on: November 06, 2014, 09:11:20 PM

I think Andy Dalton needs someone to teach him how to play QB.

The Bungles are back! awesome, for real  What an awful game.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1099 on: November 06, 2014, 09:13:17 PM

I have Andrew Luck but Andy Dalton as my backup in FF. Last second tonight I dropped Dalton and picked up Carson Palmer. Thank God.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1100 on: November 06, 2014, 09:22:34 PM

Fucking Dalton. I played Sanu because he's been lighting it up with AJ Green out. Goddamn ginger fucker couldn't even complete passes with both those guys on the field.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1101 on: November 06, 2014, 09:27:35 PM

Ah, hah, hah, hah, hah.

Facebook was blowing up so I flipped it on. This went as I expected.

At least I got to see my company's sign in the endzone above the stands once, briefly.  Money well spent.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1102 on: November 06, 2014, 11:19:03 PM

Well shit, go Cleveland?  I don't want to jinx them, but doesn't that put them in first place for the moment?

Meanwhile, I am looking like a genius starting the Cleveland defense in Fantasy over the last several weeks.  I expect the universe will correct itself over the next month or so, probably just in time for the playoffs.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1103 on: November 07, 2014, 04:24:51 AM

Saw it coming, took Cleveland +260 on the ML.

Cincy is heading to a bad place, while Cleveland has pieces with Hoyer that make them dangerous.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1104 on: November 07, 2014, 08:58:20 AM

I'm really starting to get on the Hoyer bandwagon. Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think he's anything like an "elite QB" or even an MVP QB. What he is, though, is a very capable starter. Going over it in my head, I figured he's probably a better starting QB option that 1/4 to 1/2 of the teams in this league currently have on their rosters. In some cases, he may not be as good as the starting QB but he'll win based on making less mistakes. He's efficient, has the ability to escape pressure and doesn't seem to make a lot of bad decisions. He was playing against a good defense last night and his best receiver was Miles Austin, who is probably a high ceiling WR3 at this stage in his career. His best TE is missing and his running backs are a committee, he hasn't had their one dynamic playmaker (Gordon) all year and yet he's winning. The Cleveland GM is going to have a conundrum at the end of the season, especially if they make the playoffs. Do they resign Hoyer as the starter with Johnny Football sitting over shoulder going "WHEN'S GON' MAH TIME??!" and Cleveland fans calling for Manziel after every loss (which they have surprisingly not done yet) or do they try to trade Johnny Football without anyone really knowing if Manziel is starter quality or not. I suppose it would depend on which foolish GM is willing to given Cleveland a high pick based purely on Manziel's reputation. Either way, you have to give both Hoyer credit and Pettine. He's coached well and they've both handled the idiotic ESPN fueled media speculation about Manziel very well. Better than they've handled that situation in Washington with RGIII.

BTW, I put Washington as one of those teams that would be better with Hoyer.  awesome, for real

I think Cleveland makes the playoffs and gets dumped first round but that would be an improvement for Cleveland.

Cincy, though? They aren't even waiting until the playoffs to collapse this year. That $100 million contract for Dalton is looking mighty stupid right now. He's way near the bottom of the league in most of the QB stats. He's no Geno Smith but who is?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1105 on: November 07, 2014, 11:33:15 AM

I think Cleveland makes the playoffs and gets dumped first round but that would be an improvement for Cleveland.

Cincy, though? They aren't even waiting until the playoffs to collapse this year. That $100 million contract for Dalton is looking mighty stupid right now. He's way near the bottom of the league in most of the QB stats. He's no Geno Smith but who is?

That we are even mentioning Cleveland and playoffs as a thing...together... is an improvement. Hoyer is a capable starter, but seems like a game manager and does just enough extra. The whole nameless team seemed to work last night, but the past few weeks? Shabby. They did enough to win, but over those teams? The Bucs and Raiders? Most likely because I am a Browns fan and am always looking for a excuse when the wheels fall off (not if, but when), I am not about to start getting my hopes up. Even the media is emphasizing that most of last night's game as the Bengals screwing things up rather than the Browns playing a great game. However, I and everyone else is paying more attention now at least. Now if they can keep the coaching staff and GM somewhat intact for a few years, we might turn into a consistent competitor. That would be welcomed.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1106 on: November 07, 2014, 12:43:57 PM

Oh by no means were the Browns great last night. As bad as Cincy played, they should have lost by like 40 points. But considering the team IS full of a bunch of cast-offs and no names on offense, they are still finding ways to win. As for a game manager, I don't take that as the insult most give the label. I think Hoyer's probably on the Alex Smith level - get a good team around him and he can win you more games than he will lose. He won't be flashy but he won't make you pull your hair out with stupid mistakes.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1107 on: November 07, 2014, 01:11:28 PM

Cincy has 3 games on the road, but I think they go 2-1 in that stretch. The question is they have 4 tough games at the end with Pitt, Cleveland, Denver, Pitt. If they win one of those, they'll be lucky.

Cincy finishes 7-9 and looks bad doing it with a collapse at the end. They should finally fire Marvin Lewis for regressing after 3 years of playoff berths. Marvin Lewis will have a career sub-.500 record at that point.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1108 on: November 09, 2014, 08:06:57 PM

Nice effort, Bears.

-Rasix
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1109 on: November 09, 2014, 08:21:58 PM

Well, this game was supposed to be high-scoring.

e: Bet Cutler comes back from the half with a black eye and Marshall has a mysteriously bandaged knuckle.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1110 on: November 09, 2014, 08:31:38 PM

This is like TB and Atlanta from a few weeks back.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1111 on: November 09, 2014, 11:08:20 PM

The Lions. And the Browns. Twilight Zone NFL?

The fuckin' Lions actually look like a team this year. I'm still pretty blown away by the victory today. With this D, Stafford not puking balls to the other team, a couple A+ receivers, a decent O-line, and a thunder/lightning backfield... they might even have a shot at winning a playoff game. How bout that fake punt?  Though he went to the well one too many times, it's great to see calls like that. He isn't the best clock manager, but I kinda like Caldwell. He's got balls.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1112 on: November 10, 2014, 07:02:29 AM

This week produced probably some of the most unwatchable football games I've seen in a while.

Seattle? After a half it wasn't close.
GB? Never close from the opening bell.
Denver? I think it was over by the second quarter.
Dallas? Over in the 2nd quarter.
Cleveland? You know it was over by second quarter too.
Ravens? By the early third quarter you knew Titans were done scoring.
Jets? Over in the first quarter. 17 unanswered.

The average margin of victory this week so far is 15 points. That's ridiculous. Spreads in the double digits are becoming the norm. This is starting to look like college football week-to-week in terms of lop-sided victories.

The prior two weeks the average margin was 12.4 and 13.4, this just took that even higher.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1113 on: November 10, 2014, 07:29:26 AM

I looked at the remainder of the Raiders schedule and they may not win a game this year.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1114 on: November 10, 2014, 08:12:24 AM

I looked at the remainder of the Raiders schedule and they may not win a game this year.

Bad time to be get the #1 draft pick since there are no elite college players coming out in 2015.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1115 on: November 10, 2014, 08:29:27 AM

Bad time to be get the #1 draft pick since there are no elite college players coming out in 2015.

Say what? Vic Beasley, Amari Cooper, Jameis Winston, DeVante Parker, Donte Fowler, Marcus Mariota (who I think sucks but whatever), Todd Gurley, Landon Collins, and then a bunch of defensive talent that's elite but not big-gamed.

This isn't a great offensive year, which is maybe what you're judging it by. It's a fantastic year for defensive players.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1116 on: November 10, 2014, 09:01:18 AM

Say what? Vic Beasley, Amari Cooper, Jameis Winston, DeVante Parker, Donte Fowler, Marcus Mariota (who I think sucks but whatever), Todd Gurley, Landon Collins, and then a bunch of defensive talent that's elite but not big-gamed.

This isn't a great offensive year, which is maybe what you're judging it by. It's a fantastic year for defensive players.

Not going with offense or defense. Just saying there is no huge blockbuster name that jumps off as #1 worthy - No Luck, no Clowney, no Newton... there are solid gems but no real standouts.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1117 on: November 10, 2014, 09:19:52 AM

Probably a good year to trade down for a few players.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1118 on: November 10, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Well in my mind that's a good thing. With the exception of Luck, the "BIG NAME NUMBER ONE" has been mostly a bad thing over the years.

So far Clowney has been injured and the "motor" question remains unanswered. He has two tackles in the NFL.
The Chiefs too Eric Fisher in 2013, so I can't count that as a big named number one.
Luck was 2012, which I think was a huge success and a huge outlier.
Cam is 2011, and I think he's not a bust but he's sub-par as a QB in the NFL compared to the tons of other gamechangers out of that draft (Watt, Pouncy, Julio Jones, Patrick Peterson, AJ, Von Miller, etc.)
Sam Bradford 2010. Need I say more?
Stafford in 2009. Questions still remain about the kid's work ethic. He's never been in a pro-bowl or won a damn thing up to now.
Jake Long in 2008. Again, not a big named year. Yet, the gems in that draft were everywhere. Matt Ryan, Jerod Mayo, Aquib Talib, Rogers Cromardie, Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, DeSean Jackson, Ray Rice.
Jamarcus Russell in 2007. Yeesh.
Mario Williams in 2006. He's a stud, but played on crap teams.
Alex Smith in 2005. Jury is still out there. He got dumped immediately by his drafting team when a flashy guy showed up.
Eli Manning in 2004. I'd say that was a huge success.

So far the best overall big named number one pick is Eli in my mind. Maybe Luck. The rest are good players, but not game-changers. The real issue how big the drafts were behind these guys in smaller named years.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1119 on: November 10, 2014, 10:16:10 AM

Well in my mind that's a good thing. With the exception of Luck, the "BIG NAME NUMBER ONE" has been mostly a bad thing over the years.

So far Clowney has been injured and the "motor" question remains unanswered. He has two tackles in the NFL.
The Chiefs too Eric Fisher in 2013, so I can't count that as a big named number one.
Luck was 2012, which I think was a huge success and a huge outlier.
Cam is 2011, and I think he's not a bust but he's sub-par as a QB in the NFL compared to the tons of other gamechangers out of that draft (Watt, Pouncy, Julio Jones, Patrick Peterson, AJ, Von Miller, etc.)
Sam Bradford 2010. Need I say more?
Stafford in 2009. Questions still remain about the kid's work ethic. He's never been in a pro-bowl or won a damn thing up to now.
Jake Long in 2008. Again, not a big named year. Yet, the gems in that draft were everywhere. Matt Ryan, Jerod Mayo, Aquib Talib, Rogers Cromardie, Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, DeSean Jackson, Ray Rice.
Jamarcus Russell in 2007. Yeesh.
Mario Williams in 2006. He's a stud, but played on crap teams.
Alex Smith in 2005. Jury is still out there. He got dumped immediately by his drafting team when a flashy guy showed up.
Eli Manning in 2004. I'd say that was a huge success.

So far the best overall big named number one pick is Eli in my mind. Maybe Luck. The rest are good players, but not game-changers. The real issue how big the drafts were behind these guys in smaller named years.

While all true...I am looking at it from a college perspective. All those names may not have turned out in the NFL (and many are TBD), but their final year in the college, they were the go to #1. I am sure there will be some killer players coming in the 2015 draft - but nothing stands out in the college realm quite yet. Hell, even the Heisman circus is not as pronounced as it has been in recent years.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014  
Jump to: