Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 11:06:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2014  (Read 382414 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1050 on: October 27, 2014, 09:36:49 PM

BATTLE OF THE BROWNS!

Until Romo came back.  I was hoping until then that we could unload Johnny on the Cowboys for a couple of 1st round picks. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1051 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:00 PM

Should've kept Weeden in awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1052 on: October 28, 2014, 05:51:43 AM

Rivalry with the Redskins always bites the Cowboys. Every year.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1053 on: October 28, 2014, 11:35:15 AM

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!!

Yeah, I didn't bother to watch this game thinking it either wouldn't be competitive or that Dallas would step on its deck because it's Washington. I was right either way.  why so serious?

WayAbvPar

Reply #1054 on: October 28, 2014, 01:49:22 PM

From Sports Pickle last night on Twitter-

Gritty Romo Comes Back from Injury to Lead Cowboys to OT Loss at Home to Terrible Team Playing 3rd-String QB

Pretty much sums it up.

I wonder who is going to throw a bunch of money at Colt McCoy in the off season?  awesome, for real I thought he might be the real deal in college, but until last night he has been pretty awful as a pro.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: October 28, 2014, 01:53:27 PM

I wonder who is going to throw a bunch of money at Colt McCoy in the off season?  awesome, for real I thought he might be the real deal in college, but until last night he has been pretty awful as a pro.

I'll bet it's Baltimore.  They love giving huge contracts to mediocre QB's.   why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #1056 on: October 28, 2014, 01:56:39 PM

Hey now, don't forget about Cincy  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I bet it will be the LOLJets.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1057 on: October 28, 2014, 01:57:24 PM

To bad they already have their franchise anchor.

I wouldn't put it past the Browns to make the same mistake twice, but I'm going to bet on some place like Tennessee, Jacksonville or Houston.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1058 on: October 28, 2014, 02:27:53 PM

Houston seems like they will be picking QB's early in the draft.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: October 28, 2014, 04:58:36 PM

Not if they keep on winning games...

Current bottom eight teams are:

8) - Redskins*
7) - Rams*
6) - Falcons
5) - Titans*
4) - Buccaneers*
3) - Jaguars
2) - Jets*
1) - Raiders

I * the teams that could draft a QB. I figure that the Raiders and Jags will give Carr and Bortles at least one whole season each to prove themselves. The Falcons don't have any issues at QB, their issues are with their O-Line and elsewhere on the field. I'm also not sure about the Bucs. After throwing money at Josh McCown but hanging onto Glennon I'm not sure what they will do. They could do with an upgrade at QB for sure, but throwing a rookie into the hot mess that is the Tampa team seems like a recipe for disaster. I figure they try to ride McCown, Glennon, or some other hapless FA while they rebuild the rest of the team, then try and grab a decent QB.

Obviously the order will change a fair whack before draft day, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 75% of those teams in the bottom 8 by years end.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1060 on: October 28, 2014, 05:06:53 PM

I'm thinking Houston won't get the "top" picks at QB, nor should they.

The "top" guys are likely to be Mariota and Winston, both guys I think will get destroyed at the NFL level.

The guy I would gun for is Dak Prescott, but that's only if he doesn't improve his status a ton by winning the whole damn thing (which I think he might). He would be a later pick than the top 10.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1061 on: October 28, 2014, 10:06:05 PM

Having seen Prescott in 2 whole games, I'm not sure what makes you think he'd be any less likely to be destroyed at the NFL level than Winston or Mariota. In the games I've seen, he's thrown more picks than anyone should feel comfortable with.

Any idiot could see that signing Josh McCown as a free agent was a dumb fucking idea especially if your team had no playmakers. Trestman's offense combined with Marshall and Jeffrey made that guy a mint and I can't believe an NFL GM couldn't see that. But I guess that's why Tampa is a fucking trainwreck that even Lovie Smith's defense can't fix because he hasn't even been able to get the defense working.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1062 on: October 29, 2014, 05:53:28 AM

Having seen Prescott in 2 whole games, I'm not sure what makes you think he'd be any less likely to be destroyed at the NFL level than Winston or Mariota. In the games I've seen, he's thrown more picks than anyone should feel comfortable with.

Prescott's arm is great, his build is solid although shorter than Jameis, and his escapability is better. He's also not a dumbass, which NFL people are very scared of right now. He's had one bad game where he tossed two picks against Auburn. He also scored 3 TDs in that game and over 360 combined yards.

You'll hear draft comparisons of Prescott to Tim Tebow, but as a Tebow that can actually throw the ball. His original projections for the draft were a 1-2 round guy, but he's starting to move up people's boards. If he gets into the playoff and wins, he'll be a middle first round guy if not higher.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1063 on: October 29, 2014, 07:09:30 AM

Looking at the turnout of round 1-2 quarterbacks in the last 5 years... I definitely would be a little (a lot) gun shy if I were a GM. They have all been suspect, Stafford, Luck, Newton, Dalton, and Kaepernick; but the rest have been flameouts.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1064 on: October 29, 2014, 09:50:03 AM

Prescott reminds me of a less dumbass Kap - which to me is not someone you spend a first round pick on. I'm sure someone will but I don't think it'll be smart.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1065 on: October 29, 2014, 05:26:12 PM

Wait wait wait.

Luck has been suspect? In what fucking world?

Newton is a monster, if you've ever watched an actual Carolina game its insane how much velocity he puts on the ball. He may never be Joe Montana or Tom Brady in terms of managing an offense but pretty sure he's not suspect. The talent is too real. He can def win you a super bowl with the right roster and situation.

Dalton has won a shitton of games. This is Dalton's best year by far. Trust me I've watched every Bengals game every year for years. Dalton will never be elite but he's far from suspect he's put in good work since he made it to the league.

Stafford is hard to figure out, he may be the next Cutler, you think he has it and then something goes wrong. But there are plenty of teams that would take him and start him in a heartbeat.

Kaepernick is suspect. He has gifts but he also can't be counted on. He's the definition of suspect.

RG3 is fucking suspect. That's what a suspect QB looks like.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1066 on: October 29, 2014, 05:55:08 PM

Newton is a monster, if you've ever watched an actual Carolina game its insane how much velocity he puts on the ball. He may never be Joe Montana or Tom Brady in terms of managing an offense but pretty sure he's not suspect. The talent is too real. He can def win you a super bowl with the right roster and situation.

Newton's not suspect, I just don't think he's smart. I disagree that he can win a Super Bowl unless his defense leads the league. They had the best season they are likely to have in a long time last year, and they punked out in the playoffs scoring only 10 points.

Cam's got talent but so did Vick (Vick had tons more). Unless you actually put in the mental work and produce it out on the field? Talent is only good for winning in the regular season.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1067 on: October 31, 2014, 07:14:59 AM

Good example of why Cam isn't next level last night. NOLA has been pathetic on the road and hadn't won a game away yet. Cam plays his worst game at home against a defense others have averaged about 27 points against. Carolina only gets 10 on the board, while Cam has 155 yards, 4 sacks, a pick, and no TDs. This is absolutely a turning point game as to who goes to the playoffs, and Carolina came up wanting.

Carolina's not that bad. They simple got out schemed by the other team, and Drew Brees is 10x the mental QB that Cam is. The game turned because Cam committed a sack-fumble inside his own 10 yard line (stupid mistake #1), and then took another sack immediately on the next series to complete a 3-and-out. NOLA scored on the next series before the half as Drew just torched Carolina down the field for 85 yards. 14-0 at the half and the game was basically over.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1068 on: October 31, 2014, 07:42:55 AM

Newton's not suspect, I just don't think he's smart.

In my book, that makes him suspect.

And don't take it as me thinking these guys are great at their position, but that there are fatal flaws with each. And yes, you can say that about every QB just as you can say with the right roster, ANY QB can win you the superbowl.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1069 on: October 31, 2014, 09:30:49 AM

Yes any QB can win the Super Bowl with the best defense in the league, the best RB, the best O-line, and winning the turnover margin.

Russell Wilson had most of those.  why so serious?

(I know, dig at the Seattle fans again, but I honestly think he's overrated)

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1070 on: October 31, 2014, 09:35:12 AM

I thought you were talking about Trent Dilfer at first.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: October 31, 2014, 10:01:12 AM

Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, and Phil Simms also come to mind.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: November 02, 2014, 01:04:52 PM

I have just decided to make it official.  Brandon Wheeden is not good.  Would be nice if Dez would catch a ball for my fantasy team, but I guess fucking not.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1073 on: November 02, 2014, 02:42:53 PM

All the Tony Romo haters should just take a look at the alternative today.

A sense a trade coming for Johnny Football soon. Our GM is looking at a starter that's back may not want to cooperate.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: November 02, 2014, 04:22:38 PM

Hoyer has been pretty average/below average lately so I doubt the Browns would entertain Dallas. Then again... I been wrong before.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1075 on: November 03, 2014, 07:33:21 AM

So yeah, San Fran is being the San Fran I expected. I still say they miss the playoffs.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1076 on: November 03, 2014, 10:34:04 AM

San Fran is definitely looking like a lock to miss the playoffs. Alex Smith is laughing his ass off watching Kap get sacked 8 fucking times against the RAMS and then losing on a goal line stand against a QB sneak. I'm not even sure Seattle is a sure playoff team because they had trouble with fucking Oakland.

Arizona is the real deal. That defense is insanely good - not because they tortured the shit out of Brandon Weedon. They are so good because that's a defense that has been pretty ravaged with injuries and yet they are finding guys that step up. On the other side of the field, the Cowboys defense is getting nutpunched with injuries and their depth is just not there. They've been punching above their weight all season and it's starting to catch up to them. Now they have 5 of the next 7 on the road with an iffy QB and a backup that shouldn't be on the field. I can't even say that the Cardinals were the reason he was so bad yesterday. Weedon's throws were just uniformly terrible. I thought Dez Bryant was about to stab that motherfucker in the face because at least half of his targets weren't even close to being catchable balls. It didn't help him that Arizona basically nullified the Cowboys vaunted running game. Two weeks in a row, the Cardinals have faced a top offense (Philly last week and Dallas this week) and just shut them down. Had Romo played it would have been closer but I don't think the result would have been different.

Denver... I don't even know what the fuck was wrong with Denver. That was just a putrid game on their part, especially their special teams. Demarius Thomas looks like half the time he's thinking about his contract instead of catching the ball. They better hope Sanders doesn't get injured, because he and Julian Thomas are carrying this offense. And Hillman, when they remember to run the ball. Which they completely forget after the first quarter.

Special mentions of derision to Mark Sanchez for becoming a starting QB again. 2TD's, 2 INT's. Yep, that's Sanchez all right. That final NFC wild card spot is going to be a toss up - you have Green Bay (who will lose it to Seattle if tied), Seattle, Dallas/Philly, San Fran and Carolina all potentially vying for it, but you know Carolina ain't even going to get close and depending on how long Romo is out, Dallas could be out of the running by December. San Fran can maybe withstand one more loss before they get written off and both Green Bay and Seattle are teetering. Meanwhile the only sure thing in the AFC is that New England is going to win that division again and Indy will win the South. The other two divisions are up for grabs and there looks to be at least 3 or 4 teams that ought to make the playoffs that won't.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1077 on: November 03, 2014, 12:17:41 PM

Seattle was missing something like 8 or 9 starters, including 4 OL and their best blocking TE. From a line that was suspect to begin with  ACK! . If the defense hadn't done work in the first half they would have lost. I do think Carr is going to be a good QB (more likely if he gets out of Oakland  awesome, for real ). Giants next week and then the schedule gets REALLY tough. If they don't get a lot of guys healthy before they start the Arizona/SF gauntlet they are proper fucked.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1078 on: November 03, 2014, 12:20:14 PM

Denver's played two road games. They lost one and played against one of the most dysfunctional teams in the NFL in the other. Four of their next five are on the road. I think the tone will change a bit on Denver when they look bad in a few of those.

Denver... I don't even know what the fuck was wrong with Denver. That was just a putrid game on their part, especially their special teams. Demarius Thomas looks like half the time he's thinking about his contract instead of catching the ball. They better hope Sanders doesn't get injured, because he and Julian Thomas are carrying this offense. And Hillman, when they remember to run the ball. Which they completely forget after the first quarter.

Yeah, and then you argued with me about this point I made.  awesome, for real Denver hadn't been on the road yet, and when they do go on the road they look like shit against remotely decent competition. The tone is going to change on them fast, and you can see it coming. It's the defense. It's gaudy in stats, but when they face what could be a playoff team, it's been pretty below average. Also, Peyton in opposing crowds doesn't look like the surgeon he is at home. Peyton got ruffled and he started throwing picks. Opposing teams have proven time and again that if you knock him off his spot, he's going to press.

I think KC beats them. Then you probably have a 9-3 team that's lost all it's games to teams they could see in the playoffs. I believe that will probably gut-check people's opinions on Denver's ability to win it all. Personally, I wouldn't put down dollar one on that ever happening. Eventually a solid defense will shake up Peyton away from Denver (even if that's in the Super Bowl again), and he'll fold the second he leaves home field.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1079 on: November 03, 2014, 01:13:20 PM

Thing about Denver last night though is that they didn't even bother getting a running game going. Their first 2 possessions were quick failures and from then on, it was pass pass pass. 17 total rushes and 2 of those were Peyton scrambling for his life since the Pats didn't have to worry about stopping the run and could just tee up on the QB. D. Thomas and Welker both had terrible nights with drops. The real trap game for them isn't in Oakland this Sunday, it's the following Sunday in St. Louis. The Rams have been much better against good teams and a 1 p.m. game time does not favor Denver.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1080 on: November 03, 2014, 01:17:49 PM

I have just decided to make it official.  Brandon Wheeden is not good.  Would be nice if Dez would catch a ball for my fantasy team, but I guess fucking not.

During an interview segment I saw with him after the game, the scrolling bar underneath his name read "Hasn't won a game in last 8 NFL starts." Yet, he still manages to have a job in the league.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1081 on: November 03, 2014, 01:30:58 PM

Both Micheal Vick and Mark Sanchez still have jobs in this league. Teams are super fucking desperate for anyone that can throw a ball farther than 10 yards.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: November 04, 2014, 09:54:29 AM

https://twitter.com/dallascowboys/status/529444932474654720

Cowboys decide to use the hashtag #Cowboysuk for their upcoming game in London.  awesome, for real

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: November 04, 2014, 09:56:53 AM

Facepalm
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1084 on: November 04, 2014, 10:21:49 AM

Well, it IS accurate on so many levels.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 57 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014  
Jump to: