Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:07:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2014  (Read 382381 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #910 on: October 08, 2014, 11:30:05 AM

He has one of the worst offensive lines in football
You are making the mistake of judging him by traditional standards, and not by the impact he has on a football game. 
You can't keep giving all the credit to the Defense and Marshawn Lynch.

These three statements show you as an insane fan of a team, and not an objective person looking at a player.

As for the first part, they are in no way the worst offensive line in football by any metric. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Just to point out your insanity, your offensive line is rated 6th there on the run, 22nd on the pass. They are well above average by those combined standards. A team like Jacksonville has the worst line, so just stop.

I'm not judging him by traditional standards. I'm judging him as a QB. Your job as a QB is to throw the football. Asking someone to judge his "impact" is like asking people to judge heart or grit or clutch. It's stupid. You judge people by their overall numbers because fans like to forget the bad and overplay the good.

I can keep giving credit to the defense and Lynch. I will never stop doing that until Lynch isn't top 10 in yards per game, and the defense isn't top 10 in the league in points per game. Hell, in the prior 2 years, Seattle's defense was #1 at the end of the year in points against. Seattle controls the ground game and the advancement of the opposing team. When you have a top 10 running back? You don't have to have the QB do as much. Tony Romo isn't flinging it nearly as often this year because Murray is gashing people. The defense still sucks though.

You keep thinking game manager is some kind of naughty word. I would LOVE a game manager with a functional running game and solid defense on the Falcons right now. Love it. Matt Ryan is doing amazing in yards, TDs, yards per attempts, etc. Without a defense and a running game that team is totally fucked. I would trade everything that Matt Ryan is as a QB, and he's a great QB, for a game manager and what Seattle has. Because here's the secret, QB's don't always win you ballgames. The ELITE stat qbs haven't won a Super Bowl in the last 3 years. The league is shifting to bigger and badder.

Just don't try to sell me that Wilson is a game-changer QB where he could walk on to Washington right now and win. He's not. He's part of a team, much like these other QBs are. There are maybe 4 or 5 guys in the league that literally make or break their team if they walk. He's not one of them. The main reason he's so good for Seattle is that he doesn't make mistakes, he's elusive as fuck, and (this is really key) HE'S DIRT FUCKING CHEAP. Their cap hit is next to nothing. Watch what happens to Seattle if they have to pay him huge money. That team will implode.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #911 on: October 08, 2014, 12:09:13 PM

You don't even have a point.  No, he's not a great QB.  Yes, he is a great game manager.  Nothing wrong with a great game manager would way rather have him than this great QB.  Sure wish I had this middle of the pack game manager instead of my top 10 QB in Atlanta.  Just which one is it?  He seems to be really good at pretty much everything except for passing for 400 yards every game or 30 plus attempts.  That is your whole point.  Any good football coach would tell you this - a guy who only throws the ball 20 or so times a game?  He better be really fucking good at it, or you are going to lose all the time.  And "your job as the QB is to throw the football"?  OMG.

You are one of those guys that knows stats and numbers, and knows nothing about actual sports.  Just your stupid quotes about the offensive line rankings show you have zero idea what you are talking about.  Mindlessly quoting stats. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #912 on: October 08, 2014, 12:33:49 PM

Just don't try to sell me that Wilson is a game-changer QB where he could walk on to Washington right now and win.

No one could do that. Not Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Drew Brees. Because that team sucks monkey ass. Note - that wasn't one of the teams I said Wilson would have turned into a playoff team. I think a QB like Wilson is worth at least 1 win, maybe 2 - Rodgers and Manning as much as 3 provided they have even moderately decent talent. Look how bad Indy was without Manning that one year with mostly the same offensive talent.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #913 on: October 08, 2014, 12:41:24 PM

I'll simplify the point since Cyrrex apparently didn't read.

Rarely do quarterbacks make teams great. It is not a "QB League" as ESPN wants to make you believe. Having a terrible QB can absolutely hamstring you, but having a great passing QB doesn't guarantee shit. Atlanta has a great passing QB, they are garbage. New England has a great passing QB, they are absolutely in trouble this year.

Wilson does not make his team great. His team is already great. What I'm pointing out to you is that Seattle is a great team that several QBs could win with. Wilson fits into that team well in a way he wouldn't on other teams. Saying that Russell is suddenly awesome because his team is awesome isn't true. He's not some amazing passer. He's not asked to be.

Green Bay would murder someone for Seattle's offensive line, running game, and run defense. Murder them in the face. Aaron Rodgers is great, but I think even stalwart GB fans worry like hell he can't carry the load with that defense.

TEAM GAME. You're drawing conclusions about your QB that the numbers don't back up because your team is good. That's the point.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #914 on: October 08, 2014, 12:43:29 PM

Actually, Green Bay really only wants their defense. The Pack's O line and running game can be good - it's biggest problem this year has been injuries and running into really good defensive lines like... Seattle.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #915 on: October 08, 2014, 12:44:06 PM

The problem I see in the NFL is that teams hire coaches with systems that don't fit the players on the current roster.  They then handcuff the coach so they can't FIX the roster to better suit the needs of his system.  When it all falls, they fire the coach making them the scapegoat for the failure.  It's so very common.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #916 on: October 08, 2014, 12:45:59 PM

The problem I see in the NFL is that teams hire coaches with systems that don't fit the players on the current roster.  They then handcuff the coach so they can't FIX the roster to better suit the needs of his system.  When it all falls, they fire the coach making them the scapegoat for the failure.  It's so very common.  

This is the Cleveland Browns approach to success in the NFL. Don't judge!  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #917 on: October 08, 2014, 12:47:27 PM

Actually, Green Bay really only wants their defense. The Pack's O line and running game can be good - it's biggest problem this year has been injuries and running into really good defensive lines like... Seattle.

It could be good, but it's not there yet. Rodgers has already been sacked like 11 times, so his health may be at issue again shortly.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #918 on: October 08, 2014, 12:51:31 PM

And "your job as the QB is to throw the football"?  OMG.

I'll also address this point.

Yeah your job is to throw now in the NFL. The rules are so fucking skewed in your favor to throw the ball as a QB, it's laughable. You can absolutely try to run the ball as a QB, and that may work for a few years until your age catches up to you, or the defense smashes your knees into dust. If you throw, you are also protected in a way that completely disappears when you run. Either way, running QBs aren't going to be around like Peyton Manning in terms of career length. Vick's 34 and a backup now. Peyton's 38 and setting records, Tom's 37 and still firing.

Sure, QBs make line checks, call plays, act as leaders. Everyone is expected to do that shit in the NFL as a baseline QB. Where you differentiate the average QBs from the great QBs is throwing the ball. Bar none.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:54:43 PM by Paelos »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #919 on: October 08, 2014, 12:59:06 PM

Your job as QB in the NFL is to do what the guy talking in your ear says to do.  OR ELSE!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #920 on: October 08, 2014, 01:00:18 PM

Your job as QB in the NFL is to do what the guy talking in your ear says to do.  OR ELSE!

God?  awesome, for real

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #921 on: October 08, 2014, 01:05:34 PM

God?  awesome, for real

To an NFL QB, the OC is God. 

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #922 on: October 08, 2014, 01:11:58 PM

The one thing that actually really amazes me about Seattle is the job John Schneider has done with Pete Carroll completely redoing that roster.

Basically everyone that was there before they showed up was gone by the Super Bowl. Dude made over 280 roster changes in those years. He was tied to nothing, it was perform or get lost. He was making 3rd and 5th round picks into first line starters and pro-bowlers.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #923 on: October 08, 2014, 03:23:58 PM

It could be good, but it's not there yet. Rodgers has already been sacked like 11 times, so his health may be at issue again shortly.

You haven't been paying attention the last 5 years. Rodgers has been among the league leaders in sacks since 2011 (last year was an exception only because he missed 7 games). In their Super Bowl 2010 season, he was 13th. In 2011 (their 15-1 year), he was #6. In 2012, he was #1. He's ALWAYS running for his life. I think that illustrates just how goddamn good he is.

Incidentally, Russell Wilson was tied for #3 in amount of times sacked last season with Matt Ryan. Only Flacco and Tannehill were sacked more times. You can't say his offensive line has been great at keeping him clean because you know he was scrambling from pressure a lot more times than that where he didn't get caught. None of those other 3 QB's had winning records. Baltimore had the #3 defense in points per game allowed, Seattle was 9th, Atlanta 29th, Miami 19th.

He's a really good QB.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #924 on: October 08, 2014, 04:57:42 PM

I agree with you on Rodgers. He's always running for his life, that's not saying that the line is good now. It's better, but still worse than half the lines in the league.

I won't believe in Wilson as a great QB until he's part of a real salary cap. I agree he's good and talented. I don't think he's doing something amazing with that offense that other QBs couldn't do. When they actually have to build a team around his money, like a normal QB, and they can't just funnel money into the rest of the team.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #925 on: October 08, 2014, 06:56:43 PM

The big problem Seattle is going to run into isn't Wilson - they will find his money. If Marshawn Lynch is a Seahawk in 2015, I'll be surprised. He'll be 29. There's no way he's going to be on that team in 2016. Percy Harvin will not be back in 2015 - he's already counting $13 million against the cap this year. They are smart in that they are playing with a good number of young guys and those contracts are going to come up by 2016. Their draft is going to have to hit big on a RB in the next 2 years but they've shown they don't really need a big flasy wide receiver.

That's the NFL, though. You WILL have to pay a QB if he's even remotely decent, and you will need to figure out a pass rush and/or a way to cover the pass. Everything else is almost interchangeable parts in terms of contracts. It's not, of course, but that's the way GM's are going to have to look at it under this CBA.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #926 on: October 09, 2014, 02:41:49 PM

Adrian Peterson Revealed as a Serious Dumbass

As if the charges he's facing aren't serious enough, he has to tell the urine tester that he "smoked a little weed." I guess a possible Rice-ing in his future by the league wasn't sufficient, he had to try to get some drug suspension time in as well.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #927 on: October 09, 2014, 06:10:44 PM

Thursday night games, biggest joke of the NFL calendar.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #928 on: October 09, 2014, 06:17:56 PM

The best solution I've seen regarding Thursday Night games (aside from just STOP DOING THEM) is to make sure both teams have a bye the Sunday before the game, even if that means adding a second round of byes for each team.

Over and out.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #929 on: October 09, 2014, 06:31:58 PM

The best solution I've seen regarding Thursday Night games (aside from just STOP DOING THEM) is to make sure both teams have a bye the Sunday before the game, even if that means adding a second round of byes for each team.

I'm actually fine with two byes. It makes the most sense. College football does it, and starting a week earlier will upset nobody.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #930 on: October 09, 2014, 08:19:41 PM

Houston decided to get into a shootout.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #931 on: October 09, 2014, 08:34:33 PM

This has been a decent game, but the officiating has been piss poor and it's really hurting Houston.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #932 on: October 09, 2014, 08:39:17 PM

Luck may be by far the better QB, but Fitzpatrick's beard sure puts Luck's to shame.

Over and out.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #933 on: October 09, 2014, 08:42:59 PM

This has been a decent game, but the officiating has been piss poor and it's really hurting Houston.

The fumble call was ridiculous in favor of Indy. Even the CBS official was like, that's not a fumble.

WayAbvPar

Reply #934 on: October 09, 2014, 08:46:30 PM

I would seriously consider cutting DeAndre Hopkins after that complete non-effort to recover the fumble at the end. At the very least I would sit him a week and fine him as much as legally possible. Game on the line and he acted like it was a walk through in March.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #935 on: October 09, 2014, 09:11:09 PM

The fumble call was ridiculous in favor of Indy. Even the CBS official was like, that's not a fumble.

Absolutely.  The defensive pass interference call against Houston in the 4th was also bs.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #936 on: October 10, 2014, 07:29:47 AM

I would seriously consider cutting DeAndre Hopkins after that complete non-effort to recover the fumble at the end. At the very least I would sit him a week and fine him as much as legally possible. Game on the line and he acted like it was a walk through in March.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. He looked like he didn't want to go into the pile. Unbelievable. He should be benched.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #937 on: October 10, 2014, 10:55:07 AM

I agree but from his perspective WRs (and RBs) get paid for stats, not wins. 

I have never played WoW.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #938 on: October 12, 2014, 09:55:24 AM

Demarco is a fumble machine. Seattle defense is going to have a field day. Cowboys aren't good enough to win there.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #939 on: October 12, 2014, 01:20:59 PM

That's what Miami gets for being so conservative on their last real possession.
WayAbvPar

Reply #940 on: October 12, 2014, 01:23:42 PM

Their coach is an idiot.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #941 on: October 12, 2014, 01:25:16 PM

First team that GB plays in the playoffs (if they get there) that's able to run the ball at all, they will curbstomp the Packers.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #942 on: October 12, 2014, 02:22:32 PM

Bears-Falcons is turning out to be a pretty fun game.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #943 on: October 12, 2014, 03:41:24 PM

LMAO

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #944 on: October 12, 2014, 03:58:11 PM

I didn't know Goro played NFL.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 57 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014  
Jump to: