Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:51:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2014  (Read 382362 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #840 on: September 29, 2014, 07:23:09 AM

Saints can't play on the road.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: September 29, 2014, 07:44:22 AM

Saints can't play on the road.

The question is 'why'?  I think it's a preparation issue.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #842 on: September 29, 2014, 09:03:13 AM

Can we have the replacement refs back please? I'd prefer them just calling the Bears/Packer game randomly compared to this crew just plain making calls wrong. Over and over.

If you thought THAT shit was bad, you should have watched the Niners/Eagles game. As bad as it was the Packers game, it was a shitton worse in the later game. It's like the refs weren't even watching the game on the field, but a totally different game in their head. And it was all the "oh he swiped the receiver's shoulder, let's call that!" plus a whole bunch of offensive pass interference plays that were just about as ticky-tac bullshit. The refs in both games should be fucking ashamed. The holding on the field goal in the Packers game was just so out of left field, but the earlier hands to the face call that went AGAINST Julius Peppers even though he clearly never touched the helmet of the O lineman while the O lineman had his hands all up in Peppers' grill was even crazier. Both were HUGE penalties on important downs that changed the game. Even so, the Packers offense looked decent as much because of how bad the Bears' defense is. Lacy didn't really ever get going running and apart from Nelson and Cobb, Rodgers didn't throw too many passes at the other receivers. He's good when you don't know who he'll throw it to and that has happened this season. Cutler lost the Bears that game - those 2 INT's were bad. The first one was a horrible decision, as the defender just watched Cutler the ENTIRE play and jumped the route. The other one was on either Culter or Marshall - whichever one of those thought the route wasn't going to where Cutler threw the ball. Did either punter even get on the field that game? GODDAMNIT, both those defenses really suck major ass.

In the Eagles/Niners game, besides the refs being really bad, both teams offensive lines were shit. The only difference is that the Niners O line could at least run block, and Harbaugh remembered that he had one of the most reliable running backs in the game. If that game had been put on Kap's shoulders, they would have lost. I don't understand how his completion percentage is so high - he makes bad decisions and throws inaccurately. He's Sanchez only he can run which saves his ass a number of times. Also, how is San Fran's GM can continue to trade nothing and get guys like Boldin and Stevie Johnson? That catch Johnson made for the TD was UNREAL. He may be a freak, but Buffalo were idiots to let him go. Philly isn't a good team - sure, their offense will blow out teams with bad defense, but against a good defense? They couldn't do SHIT. Even Shady McCoy couldn't run for shit. 21 points, none of them on offense. Great special teams! And how about that Darren Sproles?

Speaking of Darren Sproles, how about them Saints? Right, their offense isn't clicking and not having Sproles is why. I think someone in the Saints front office severely underestimated the power that type of player gives to Payton's offense. First it was Bush, then Sproles - and now that they don't have a back that can do the things he does, their offense is sputtering. I will remind everyone he got traded away for a 5th round pick. I cannot make any sort of sense out of that deal.

This NFL season is full of a lot of shitty teams beating up on even shittier teams.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: September 29, 2014, 10:35:02 AM

I thought it was full of players beating on their girlfriends and wives why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #844 on: September 29, 2014, 07:30:46 PM

Lol at Josh McDaniels Patriots "offense"

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: September 29, 2014, 07:56:16 PM

Lol at Josh McDaniels Patriots "offense"

LOL indeed.  What a nightmare for NE. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: September 29, 2014, 07:59:17 PM

Belicheat's hubris.  He's always thought he could plug any scrub into his 'system' regardless of talent.  What exactly do they have at receiver now?

Also, remember when Brady said he wasn't considering retirement and he'd keep playing until he sucked?  Getting close to retirement time there, Tommy!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Over and out.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #847 on: September 29, 2014, 08:38:41 PM

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #848 on: September 29, 2014, 08:51:50 PM

Damn, look at that slant route. Top notch.

-Rasix
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: September 29, 2014, 08:56:11 PM

I don't know why New England's passing game has tanked with quality receivers like Brandon LaFell.  rolleyes

Over and out.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #850 on: September 29, 2014, 08:58:46 PM

NE has Edelman, LaFell, Gronk, and some other guys.

The problem isn't really the receivers. The problem is that Brady isn't getting a ton of time to search the field, and they have a shitty running game. People are keying on Brady because they don't really think NE can gash them.

Also, Brady is making some shitty decisions because he's getting old. Things aren't firing as fast.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: September 29, 2014, 09:09:57 PM

The running game is definitely a work in progress, I think. The rest of it, I'm not sure. We'll see throughout the season I guess.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #852 on: September 30, 2014, 08:57:55 AM

The Pats suck. Brady isn't getting time to pass the ball and I put that down to 1) their O line is a huge work in progress with 2 rookies starting last night, 2) Josh McDaniels is a fucking HORRIBLE O coordinator in the Mike Martz mode - that is to say, he knows how to put up big passing numbers but does not know how to protect the QB and 3) Edelman is the only good receiver who isn't hurt on the field. Gronk is a shadow of his former self after so many injuries. McDaniels doesn't believe in adding extra blockers to protect his QB when the O line clearly can't handle the rush. McDaniels' offenses only work if you have a really good O line that can block a rush without help. This is the same twat that drafted Tim Tebow #1, that wanted to trade Cutler the minute he got the job in Denver for MATT CASSEL, then did trade Cutler for KYLE ORTON, then when he failed in Denver went to St. Louis to try to get Sam Bradford killed. He's just a horrible fucking coach and the only reason he succeeded at New England the first time was he had a younger Brady and a better O line, and was O coordinator the year Brady and Moss were hooking it up like crazy.

What's worse for the Pats, though, is that their defense has talent but isn't putting it on the field. KC shredded them last night in all phases of their offense. That was brutal. I loved every minute of it.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: September 30, 2014, 09:11:57 AM

Pats O-line is awful. Dante Scarnecchia retired before the start of this season. I refuse to believe these two things aren't connected.
It's Jimmy Garoppolo time!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: September 30, 2014, 07:31:08 PM

Its been a real mixed bag so far. I think I like a number of things about the NE team, but I'm also not sold on a few others. It does annoy me when fans and bystanders start piling on the players, instead of the coaching and tactical staff.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #855 on: September 30, 2014, 07:50:39 PM

Its been a real mixed bag so far. I think I like a number of things about the NE team, but I'm also not sold on a few others. It does annoy me when fans and bystanders start piling on the players, instead of the coaching and tactical staff.

Josh McDaniels is a fucking fool and always has been.

If that helps.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #856 on: September 30, 2014, 07:58:45 PM

Belichek is also a cheat, a douchebag and a less than stellar GM. Oh and he dresses like a hobo.  why so serious?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: October 01, 2014, 06:35:45 AM

Belichek is also a cheat, a douchebag and a less than stellar GM. Oh and he dresses like a hobo.  why so serious?

He is all of those things.  The guy is an eccentric football genius.  There are few people alive that understand the game as well as he does.

-  Mark Twain
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #858 on: October 01, 2014, 08:20:26 AM

Hey, I would dress like a hobo all the time if I could get away with it professionally.  I am married with 3 kids. I don't need to impress anyone any more.

I have never played WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: October 02, 2014, 06:50:07 PM

This just in: Christian Ponder is still terrible.

-  Mark Twain
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: October 03, 2014, 08:06:33 AM

Through 4 games, #TNF has an aggregate score of 179-41, an average margin of victory of 33.75 ppg. The average halftime lead is 21.75 pts

Man the TNF games have been slaughters I expected the pack/vikings game to be a whole hell of a lot closer than it wound up being last night.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #861 on: October 03, 2014, 08:20:19 AM

This just in: Christian Ponder is still terrible.

I put a 2x bet on that game at -8.5 before they pulled if off the board. I would have bet my entire bankroll, but when they put in Ponder, the site yanked the game.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #862 on: October 03, 2014, 08:21:20 AM

Not with Christian Ponder at QB.  why so serious?

Yeah, that was an utter bloodbath. Not even remotely competitive from the first snap. Rodgers had it easy as the Vikings couldn't cover anybody and they weren't particularly good at pass rush or run defense either. Lacy just ate them up thankfully. I hope this isn't just a blip against a bad defense. Probably didn't hurt that their entire starting offensive line was actually starting together and not injured. I stopped watching once Matt Flynn came on - checked back and it was 12 minutes later in the quarter and the score hadn't changed so figured I made the right call. Next week they get Miami on the road, and I'm thinking that one will be a bit closer.

The Thursday games are just fucking awful - there are maybe 5 or 6 good matchups the entire season and that's a debatable number.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #863 on: October 03, 2014, 08:21:47 AM

Through 4 games, #TNF has an aggregate score of 179-41, an average margin of victory of 33.75 ppg. The average halftime lead is 21.75 pts

Man the TNF games have been slaughters I expected the pack/vikings game to be a whole hell of a lot closer than it wound up being last night.

Betting the home team in TNF games is a good bet. With the exception of Washington.

I don't believe this is an accident at all. These aren't "bad matchups" as much as I think it's nigh impossible for an NFL to prepare for a game on the road in 3 days.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #864 on: October 03, 2014, 08:30:15 AM

That may be a part of it and 3-day turnaround is just really fucking brutal. But look at the games (not counting Thanksgiving game):

Green Bay v Seattle
Baltimore v Pittsburgh
Atlanta v Tampa Bay
NY Giants v Washington
Minnesota v Green Bay
Indy v Houston
NY Jets v New England
San Diego v Denver
New Orleans v Carolina
Cleveland v Cincy
Buffalo v Miami
KC v Oakland
Dallas v Chicago
Arizona v St. Louis
Tennessee v Jacksonville

God, that is a shit show. Of those, I can see 4 being considered potentially competitive games based on last year's records (GB/SEA, BAL/PIT, NO/CAR, and SD/DEN). Maybe you could count the Jets v New England. Of the rest, only Buffalo/Miami and maybe Indy/Houston could be considered competitive this year. Dallas/Chicago may be interesting depending on if Dallas's defense continues to self-destruct or plays like it did against the Saints. But Arizona/St. Louis? Not even close without some huge changes between now and then? Cleveland/Cincy? Titans/Jags? UGH. Hell, the New Orleans/Carolina game may end up being unimportant and terrible by the time it happens.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #865 on: October 03, 2014, 08:42:21 AM

Browns - Bengals is usually retarded and entertaining for neutral fans they are always way closer than they should be and often turn into crazy shoot outs.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: October 03, 2014, 09:52:32 AM

It's odd that they'd show only in-division matchups on a nationally televised football show.  Does anyone outside of Ohio care about Cleveland v. Cincinatti, regardless of how competitive the game will be?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #867 on: October 03, 2014, 09:58:11 AM

The answer is so few care at all, why waste valuable Sunday time?

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #868 on: October 03, 2014, 10:09:00 AM

I'm sure the TV schedule makers were hoping Johnny Manziel would be starting by the time that game aired.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #869 on: October 03, 2014, 10:44:06 AM

The answer is so few care at all, why waste valuable Sunday time?

Bingo. Thursday night was the way for the NFL to offload potentially terrible matchups and give them eyeballs.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #870 on: October 03, 2014, 10:56:49 AM

It's odd that they'd show only in-division matchups on a nationally televised football show.  Does anyone outside of Ohio care about Cleveland v. Cincinatti, regardless of how competitive the game will be?

Cleveland is at least competitive in their games this year. But no, no one cares outside of the state.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #871 on: October 03, 2014, 10:59:49 AM

Actually I'd watch that game, simply because I think Cincy is for real. Their defense can carry them easily to a division title and possibly an AFC championship game.

But Andy Dalton...

EDIT: To be clear I think Seattle and Cincy are basically the same type of team. They have two QBs who are in "just don't fuck this up" mode. Except Russell Wilson is 3x as talented as Dalton.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:01:29 AM by Paelos »

WayAbvPar

Reply #872 on: October 03, 2014, 11:01:27 AM

I will keep an eye on any Thursday night matchup regardless of how lopsided it is, because it is football and still more interesting than anything else on TV. So maybe the idea of dumping matchups has some validity  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #873 on: October 03, 2014, 01:39:51 PM

Yeah, it's totally working on me.  No matter how shitty the game is I still have it on for the duration.  I lose interest towards the end if the game is lopsided, but it's still on while I do other things.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: October 04, 2014, 05:35:38 AM

I will keep an eye on any Thursday night matchup regardless of how lopsided it is, because it is football and still more interesting than anything else on TV.

You could, you know, not watch TV too. 
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 57 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014  
Jump to: