Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 12:57:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2014  (Read 385319 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #560 on: August 28, 2014, 03:21:15 AM

Not to sound like I am defending Josh (yes I know I am a Browns fan so it will come off like that), but I still don't understand the 2 samples test. If you test the first one and it comes up positive but barely, and then you test the 2nd one and it comes back under the threshold... and you then take the first sample's results instead of the second, then why the hell do you even take 2 samples? That kind bothers me. That said, this is a chronic (puns!) problem with Josh ever since college, so there is precedent.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:11 AM

Well, what was the time lapse between sample 1 and sample 2?  One way to look at it would be to say "yep, sample one shows that he had it in his system.  And now sample two shows that he definitely had it in his system, but it is lower than the threshhold because x amount of time has passed."

Just an idea.  I don't know what their actual testing protocol is supposed to prove.  Also, he's totally guilty anyway.

The irony will be that the Browns will improve their record this year.  You just watch.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: August 28, 2014, 04:51:54 AM

I'm not so convinced. I don't think he's the smartest kid, but from what I've read about the NFL's drug testing system Josh Gordon was in Tier 3 and was being tested so frequently that it would be pretty much impossible for him to actually smoke weed and have the traces out of his system before the next test, which fits with his assertion that the result came from second hand smoke. He'd had 70 clean tests before this, and the one positive one was barely over the minimum testing threshold.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #563 on: August 28, 2014, 04:54:10 AM

But what do you mean by "minimum testing threshhold"?  Minimum to be detectable, or minimum to be considered guity of smoking it directly?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: August 28, 2014, 05:17:14 AM

From what I've read, it was the minimum to be counted as a true positive. He had THC in his system, in the barest possible extent to which the test can verifiably detect; in one test out of 71. The claim is that if he'd actually smoked pot directly, the result would have been far stronger, and would have been seen over more than one test, given the frequency with which he was being tested.

Caveat: I'm not a drug-testing expert, this is just going of what I've read  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: August 28, 2014, 05:49:58 AM

Sounds reasonable.  Of course, I always hear that the NFL rarely or never discloses the specifics of the violations, so who is this detailed information coming from?

Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: August 28, 2014, 06:40:14 AM

But what do you mean by "minimum testing threshhold"?  Minimum to be detectable, or minimum to be considered guity of smoking it directly?

The NFL has its standard threshold of 15-nanograms. Smoking directly or second-hand is a moot point. His first sample was checked in at slightly over at 15.-something. Second sample from the same urine provided was 13.-something. Either way, it calls into question why the second sample is even tested if the first convicts regardless of the second result being below. They obviously tested the second for a reason based on the first, but that 2nd sample was dismissed for some reason - probably because Josh is a repeat offender but who has been cleaning up from the codeine incident. Like K9 pointed out, he has been tested pretty frequently given his past offense. I hope Gordon at least challenges it in court, even though it will go nowhere because the NFL seems to own the system and that CBA hanging out there.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #567 on: August 28, 2014, 07:12:42 AM

It's pretty easy to not fail these tests. Don't hang out with people smoking weed. Don't smoke weed.

Wow, amazing!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: August 28, 2014, 08:59:57 AM

It's pretty easy to not fail these tests. Don't hang out with people smoking weed. Don't smoke weed.

Wow, amazing!

I dunno. I wouldn't shun my childhood friends because of their decision to smoke weed. I might excuse myself if they were doing it near me, or ask them to wait till I was not around them before they light up - but then you get into the culture arguments about what that means. I get what you are saying, but I don't think it is as simple as you'd like it to be.

And it is easy to not fail these tests... just test sample B first and this is not a topic of conversation.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #569 on: August 28, 2014, 09:32:52 AM

Let's not also forget that Gordon had a DUI AFTER the failed tests. This dude has not cleaned up his shit and was likely going to be suspended again anyway. See the words "Serial dumbass."

WayAbvPar

Reply #570 on: August 28, 2014, 09:36:35 AM

The question isn't whether Gordon is a dumbass...I think we can all agree on that one. The question is whether his dumbassery is actually less dumb than the terrible NFL policy.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #571 on: August 28, 2014, 09:37:29 AM

The words "terrible NFL policy" not only has an extra modifier in there, it is also in the dictionary as one of the examples for the definition of "dumbass."

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #572 on: August 28, 2014, 01:53:20 PM

In a rare bit of common sense, the NFL actually makes a policy about domestic abuse suspensions. Goodell even admitted he got the Ray Rice suspension wrong.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: August 29, 2014, 05:35:14 PM

In a rare bit of common sense, the NFL actually makes a policy about domestic abuse suspensions. Goodell even admitted he got the Ray Rice suspension wrong.

So its a 2 strikes and your out policy?  Not bad. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: August 29, 2014, 05:39:24 PM

This is not surprising given that the NFL is trying to appeal to women more.  But it is still a good decision and I am just happy to hear them say they were wrong for once.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #575 on: August 29, 2014, 05:57:02 PM

This is not surprising given that the NFL is trying to appeal to women more.  But it is still a good decision and I am just happy to hear them say they were wrong for once.

If they are trying to appeal to women, their bag policy was a shitty choice.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #576 on: August 30, 2014, 05:34:59 PM

Looks like Michael Sam was released by the Rams.  Not a real surprise and I doubt it was because he was gay.  He was a "tweener", not big enough to play D line but too slow to play LB.  I hope he can catch on somewhere, maybe on special teams or maybe he might want to try the CFL.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/30/us/michael-sam-nfl/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:40:16 PM by Ginaz »
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: August 31, 2014, 03:39:46 PM

Ryan Mallett to the Texans for a conditional 7th round pick in 2016

Unsurprising since Jimmy G looked a lot more poised and talented throughout preseason. This also means that there are three of Brady's former backups starting week one this season (Mallett, Cassel, Hoyer)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:42:44 PM by K9 »

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: August 31, 2014, 03:56:57 PM

I doubt Mallet will be starting week 1.

Over and out.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: August 31, 2014, 04:13:36 PM

You're probably right, aye

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: August 31, 2014, 10:23:37 PM

Yeah, because the Texans have that other quarterb.....wait, who the fuck do they have?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #581 on: August 31, 2014, 10:37:46 PM

They got Harvard, the Human Interception Machine.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: August 31, 2014, 10:40:15 PM

Lol, oh yeah.  Might as well give Mallett a go.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:10 PM

It has nothing to do with talent.  Mallet could very well be the most talented QB they have, but a week is an awfully short time for a QB to learn an entire offense even if it's similar to the one he just came from.

Over and out.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: August 31, 2014, 11:03:29 PM

What, you don't think he's capable of throwing just as many picks as Fitzpatrick?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #585 on: September 02, 2014, 04:54:49 PM

My Welker draft pick is just getting better and better!

That was a brain fart. I usually check IR stuff but it happened the same day. GRRRRR!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #586 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:28 PM

Wes Welker banned 4 games for amphetamine use.

Normally, I'd have drafted him but thanks to the concussion he suffered like the day before the drafts, I stayed away.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: September 04, 2014, 05:33:15 PM

The first game of the year hasn't even started and I am already sick of hearing about the 12th man and how loud the stadium is.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #588 on: September 04, 2014, 06:47:08 PM

The first game of the year hasn't even started and I am already sick of hearing about the 12th man and how loud the stadium is.

Seattle looks great.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #589 on: September 04, 2014, 07:09:36 PM

Reffing seems fine.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: September 04, 2014, 07:10:37 PM

When he manages to stay on his feet, Percy Harvin is stupid fast

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: September 04, 2014, 07:57:50 PM

Packer D looks terrible. Again. Time to get rid of Capers. I didn't necessarily expect them to win the game, but when you aren't competitive and you have Super Bowl aspirations? Yeah, time for a change.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #592 on: September 04, 2014, 08:01:40 PM

I would put that much more on Lacy and their O-Line play in general. Also this has been far from Rogers' best game.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: September 04, 2014, 08:04:13 PM

Agreed, but you are going up against probably the best defense in the league. While Seattle's offense is good, it isn't that good.

Also injuries. The Deadspin article was dead on. Lambeau was built on an Indian burial ground and is cursed. Can you tell I am an angry Packer fan?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #594 on: September 04, 2014, 08:27:31 PM

Packers still aren't ready for primetime, no matter how many analysts keep insisting they are. They have problems on both lines, and only Rodgers keeps them remotely in games.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2014  
Jump to: