Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:31:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: A million ways to die in the west. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A million ways to die in the west.  (Read 9509 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

on: January 30, 2014, 10:31:27 AM

Spiritual successor to Blazing Saddles? Yes please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgQzWrrpRb4

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:41:01 AM

Well that might be a stretch... just a wee bit.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:49:59 AM

I love Blazing Saddles personally but let's not put it on an untouchable pedestal here.  I doubt this movie will touch on serious social issues like racism so yes in that regard it may not have the gravitas. Though it looks like it's following the same comedic formula of a bawdy comedy set in in the old west with modern vernacular.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:05:35 AM

Your second sentence is why you shouldn't compare the two.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:23:16 AM

So it's basically a fucking Wild West episode of Family Guy in live-action where we get to watch Seth McFarlane mug for 2 hours?

No.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 11:28:16 AM

Well that might be a stretch... just a wee bit.
Just a wee.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:48:49 AM

I'm still fairly confident that I'll come out of this laughing, and that's all I want out of most comedies.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:57:31 AM

So it's 'Ted' with cowboys and without the bear.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 05:49:03 PM

I can see it being a harmless fun.

1) They should have un-bleached the teeth for added realism!

2) Sarah Silverman as whore made me snicker.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:05:51 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 07:22:11 PM

Would be better without Seth. 
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 01:22:25 AM

Spiritual successor to Blazing Saddles? Yes please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgQzWrrpRb4

I laughed out loud. Not at the trailer, but at reading that text after watching the trailer.
---

His mugging does seem really out of place for the setting, and not in a good way. I heard Ted was good so I watched that and found it dreadfully boring.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 04:52:51 AM

Agree with this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 05:37:28 AM

It's Neeson Season.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 06:27:56 AM

Agree with this.

Literally came back to type this.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 06:43:36 AM

He does project an aura of smug and unlikable.

He'd probably be great playing a douchey 50s actor. Or a douchey old-timey milk man.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 07:17:31 AM

To be fair, I could watch Charlize Theron all day.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 07:32:34 AM

This has a few good people in supporting roles. Ok, two: Neeson and Theron. Clearly they needed to make mortgage payments. What pissed me off the most about the trailer though was it instantly made me want to see Nesson as an old west outlaw in a real Western.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 04:05:10 PM

I'd like Neeson to play the Gunslinger if they ever decide to make the books a show.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 10:37:23 PM

This looks fantastically watchable. Ted was not.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 12:34:05 PM

Oh, well, If Neeson is in it, it's going to be a true classic.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 07:28:48 AM

Saw this Friday night.

It was funny but it's no Blazing Saddles. McFarlane needs help with pacing and direction as it felt uneven and dragged at times. He also needed to commit to his subtext of, "Stop Romanticizing the West, assholes, it sucked!" a bit more. If you want to critique a thing like the US' love with a place that never existed, do it fully. Sure was white with a cast full of perfect teeth in that shithole of a town.

The jokes were your typical McFarlane fare. If you don't like them you'll not like the movie. If you do you'll laugh a lot - when he's not trying to fit a romance story or a western Drama in. (My uneven comment.)  There were a few jokes that I can't remember but only a few of us laughed at because they were smart jokes.  My showing was filled with brodudes who guffawed at the sheep piss and race jokes but didn't at the jabs at Native displacement or Chinese exploitation.

The characters were great, though it felt like Neeson and his gang took it a little too seriously. I'd rather have seen them all camp it up a bit. Harris sure as hell did and stole several scenes because of it. McFarlane's character came across as a bit of a douche so I couldn't fully get behind him as a hero. It felt too much like Brian from Family Guy was onscreen.

Also, fair warning, it's a little quiet. Rummaging for popcorn echoed in the theater any time Theron and McFarlane were talking on screen. It's a nice change from the INCEPTION HORN and LOUD NOISES of most movies but took me a bit to get used to.

The musical numbers, as one would expect from McFarlane, were catchy and really great. I still have the mustache song echoing in my head.

In all I'd give it a 7.5/10. I don't regret watching it, it was better than most but I won't buy it or insist anyone has to watch it. I also felt it was a step or two behind Ted.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 10:34:29 AM

It was funny but it's no Blazing Saddles. McFarlane needs help with pacing and direction as it felt uneven and dragged at times. He also needed to commit to his subtext of, "Stop Romanticizing the West, assholes, it sucked!" a bit more.

Has popular culture romanticized the Old West much in the 40 years since Blazing Saddles came out? It made sense to tare down the myth back then because people who were old enough to watch Blazing Saddles in the theater had likely grown up watching John Wayne movies and such. Westerns have dropped off quite a bit in popularity since then and most modern day examples from Deadwood back to Unforgiven have been very non-romanticized. At times it felt like McFarlane was arguing that the sky is blue. Most of us know that the Old West would have been a shitty time and place to live. He should have tried deconstructing something that's actually popular right now.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 10:57:32 AM

Depends on the part of the country you're in. From what I can tell it's romanticized heavily in the South and Southwest still, but that's 2nd hand experience talking there.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 11:15:19 AM

Depends on the part of the country you're in. From what I can tell it's romanticized heavily in the South and Southwest still, but that's 2nd hand experience talking there.
Yeah, that drove me *nuts* when I was in Mississippi in my twenties.  I grew up in Montana, my youth included actually being a ranch hand (riding fence, branding calves, etc.) and even riding in a rodeo a couple of times.  And I didn't consider myself a 'cowboy' (which actual ranchers consider 'Hollywood shit').  But everywhere I looked were dudes dandied up in jeans, pretty boots, and pickup trucks with flawless paint and chrome that called themselves 'Cowboys' because they listened to 'Country-Western' and had seen every John Wayne movie.  Even though they'd never actually seen a steer (might not even know what that was).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 01:15:01 PM

Texas romanticizes the cowboy way like crazy, and I grew up in a upper class suburb. Guys would go out of their way to wear Wranglers with the dip cup and their hats while driving jacked up trucks. These were kids of doctors and lawyers who wouldn't know how to brand a steer any more than change their own oil.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 01:21:00 PM

Ken Levine:

A recent poll listed Donald Sterling as the current most hated man in America, although if last weekend’s boxoffice tally is any indication, Seth MacFarlane may have that distinction.

His movie is the absolute bomb of the year. Flatline and disaster are the two most charitable descriptions of his opening weekend total. Where does this guy think he’s an actual movie star? Or such a big name entertainer he can host the Academy Awards? I swear, it’s like the old SNL “Judy Miller Show” except we can all see him.

Typical review: “There are A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST. I didn’t know boredom was one of them.” That was actually a kind review.

MacFarlane also wrote it.  Example of the hilarity (and I kid you not): Neil Patrick Harris defecates into hats for two minutes.  Wow.  Set a place at the Algonquin Round Table for this first-class wit. 

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 01:58:45 PM

It didn't do that terribly at the box office. It'll at least turn a profit, I think.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 02:25:36 PM

It didn't do that terribly at the box office. It'll at least turn a profit, I think.

It might break even if it's lucky. Considering Ted did over $500 million worldwide, it's pretty terrible by comparison.

Texas romanticizes the cowboy way like crazy, and I grew up in a upper class suburb. Guys would go out of their way to wear Wranglers with the dip cup and their hats while driving jacked up trucks. These were kids of doctors and lawyers who wouldn't know how to brand a steer any more than change their own oil.

I'm not sure how many of those people are going to watch this movie though, and I'm sure many of them already understand that living conditions back then were much worse than they are now. I still believe this movie at least a couple decades too late for the point it's trying to make.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 02:29:00 PM

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=millionwaystodie.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

$28 Million and was #3 last weekend. It'll have a huuuuuuuuuuuge drop off this weekend.  It's never good when you're beaten by the 2nd week of a movie and barely beat the 3rd week of another in the Summer season.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 02:29:52 PM

I really liked Ted.  I thought it was one of the better movies of the year - even though it had some bad problems.

I have no interest in this film based on previews and reviews.  It also makes me fear that Ted 2 will be a #2 that stains my affection for the first film.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 03:31:00 PM

I'm not sure how many of those people are going to watch this movie though, and I'm sure many of them already understand that living conditions back then were much worse than they are now. I still believe this movie at least a couple decades too late for the point it's trying to make.

The romanticization of the west in movies stopped being the dominant portrayal in the mid-60s with the advent of major spaghetti westerns. This movie is like 50 years too late.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 06:25:30 PM

Mcfarlane has his comedy set in in past reference mode and can rarely get out of that.   I had high(possibly unrealistic) hopes for this movie after Ted but Seth seems to has reached the plateau of what he is capable of comedically.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 08:50:30 AM

It's like none of you have watched the last 5 seasons of Family Guy, or for that matter, any episode of American Dad.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 09:00:04 AM

It's like none of you have watched the last 5 seasons of Family Guy, or for that matter, any episode of American Dad.

Why on earth would you?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 09:03:30 AM

Exactly my point, and exactly what I thought about both this movie and Ted.  why so serious?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: A million ways to die in the west.  
Jump to: