Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:06:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Ghostcrawler at Riot games? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghostcrawler at Riot games?  (Read 15417 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

on: January 14, 2014, 08:07:55 AM

Not sure where to post this but I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet. 

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/greg-street/7/644/b35

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:09:04 AM

:\
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:24:26 AM

I particularly enjoyed this part.

Greg Street's Education

The University of Texas at Austin
PhD, Marine Science
1991 – 1996

McDaniel College
BA, Biology, Philosophy
1987 – 1991

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:21:57 PM

Enjoy LoL players, you deserve it.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:32:37 PM

Morello is still in charge.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

lol, guess I stopped playing at the right time  awesome, for real.

I agree with some of the sentiment being said that if he can bring about some balance so that it's more about playing effectively instead of just counter-picking whatever's OP, it'll be a good move.  Otherwise, yes, this is all clownshoes and why did we bother?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:05:56 PM

lol, guess I stopped playing at the right time  awesome, for real.

I agree with some of the sentiment being said that if he can bring about some balance so that it's more about playing effectively instead of just counter-picking whatever's OP, it'll be a good move.  Otherwise, yes, this is all clownshoes and why did we bother?

What? Are you playing a different game than everyone else?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 05:28:51 PM

I particularly enjoyed this part.

Greg Street's Education

The University of Texas at Austin
PhD, Marine Science
1991 – 1996

McDaniel College
BA, Biology, Philosophy
1987 – 1991

What's wrong with it?   Head scratch
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 03:16:59 AM

What? Are you playing a different game than everyone else?

I dunno, maybe?  Maybe I should play a different game  why so serious?

What's wrong with it?   Head scratch

I'll take "WTF is a a guy with a doctorate in Marine Biology doing in game development?" for $200, Alex.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 09:12:45 AM

What would be better? How many successful (or not successful) game designers have actual game design degrees?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:53 AM

Heh, two of the better "design" types I've worked with had degrees in English and Chemistry respectively.  Both ended up being rather proficient in a highly technical organization. 

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 10:00:35 AM

Not saying it's wrong, just...weird, I guess?  I can see where having a doctorate in 'anything' shows you at least have the patience and wherewithal to endure long-term projects that may or may not work out.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 10:46:53 AM

Heh, two of the better "design" types I've worked with had degrees in English and Chemistry respectively.  Both ended up being rather proficient in a highly technical organization. 

I need to consider a career change!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:50:43 AM

Can you bullshit and draw stuff on whiteboards?

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 10:55:27 AM

I teach at a University, don't I?

-  Mark Twain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 02:44:23 PM

I teach at a University, don't I?

Love Letters

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 03:08:52 PM

I'll take "WTF is a a guy with a doctorate in Marine Biology doing in game development?" for $200, Alex.

Where can I find that list we had kicking around of all the star designers that went to school for game design?

Oh, right...
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 05:08:18 AM

I'm sure he'll explain to the playerbase how to have fun at great length.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 06:27:29 AM

Huh, wow. I didn't know Greg had a PhD.

I would assume it's not the subject matter that would increase his qualification to be an excellent designer, but the skills necessary to successfully learn from and complete the degree program. The critical thinking education from the Philosophy degree couldn't hurt.

One of the early points of advice I received when working in the games industry is that focusing exclusively on games and gaming as your area of study doesn't give you the other life skills and education to be a competent designer. It was possible to misinterpret and get lost in the surface-level of the work and not to develop the mindset necessary to get past that and develop a meaningful understanding of the experience.

Other interests outside gaming and other areas of study were suggested, though I didn't listen as an arrogant 20-something. Additionally, my presumption is that a middle/upper-class, supportive, stable environment where you aren't dealing daily with basic life necessities would afford you the time to critically study and understand the nuances and sophistication of "good design".

Call this thread's observation striking close to home. I lacked a philosophic / classical / liberal arts component of my education growing up, and I'm remedying that.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Ghostcrawler at Riot games?  
Jump to: