Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Paul Walker, Fast and Furious actor, dead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Walker, Fast and Furious actor, dead  (Read 17187 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: November 30, 2013, 08:08:53 PM

Looks like he died today in a car accident.  Irony and all aside, I feel bad his family and friends.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/30/showbiz/actor-paul-walker-dies/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 08:32:21 PM

My wife is very sad.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:24:18 PM

Gonna give this the same comment I gave it on Facebook, which was: 2Fast2Furious

To which I followed up in IM with Brofellos: 3Vin5Diesel
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 12:03:39 PM

That's too bad. He did a lot of charity work and was a pretty good dude from all accounts.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 01:58:46 PM

That's too bad. He did a lot of charity work and was a pretty good dude from all accounts.

Everyone liked the guy; from the small circles I've known who are acquainted with him.  Definitely not your typical hollywood d-bag.  He was more like a surf bum adrenalin junkie really.  Recall that special he did on Discovery during shark week (where they captured great whites; I knew that boat crew).    Yah, he did that shit for fun.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 02:00:26 PM

His death has been compared to Heath Ledger, in that he was young and making his mark in Hollywood still.  Although i doubt he's going to have a final role like Ledger's Joker to look back at.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 04:14:18 PM

His death has been compared to Heath Ledger, in that he was young and making his mark in Hollywood still.  Although i doubt he's going to have a final role like Ledger's Joker to look back at.
He's not even going to have a role as good as Heath did in Knight's Tale.

Dude didn't really have "acting chops."
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 06:12:07 AM

Ah yes, the Porsche Carrera GT, aka the Doctor Killer. 
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 06:30:51 AM

The car is barely recognizable as a car.

I have never played WoW.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 08:11:48 AM

There's no way that happened without somebody going 100 mph or getting hit by a semi.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 08:22:17 AM

There's no way that happened without somebody going 100 mph or getting hit by a semi.

Or hellfire missile.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 09:14:38 AM

About a year ago a kid from a local high school turned a corner going too fast.  He was showing off.  The weather was fine, and there was no visibility issues at all.  He lost control and crashed.  On his way to hitting a wall, he killed two members of a familly that were riding their bikes along the street.

http://claycord.com/2012/04/07/update-crash-kills-father-daughter-on-bicycles-on-treat-boulevard-near-oak-grove/
http://claycord.com/2012/04/08/photos-double-fatal-collision-suspect-calls-himself-race-fox-on-social-media/

The kid called himself "Race Fox" on the internet.  If you went to his Facebook page, the first like on his publicly available page was "Fast & Furious".  It also showed the kid was a total ass that was desparate to be cool.  He was trying to be cool like the people in those movies...

Paul Walker died due to reckless driving.  It was the type of reckless driving shown in those idiotic Fast & Furious movies.  His death is not the first, but merely one in a long list of deaths, injuries and property damage that have been caused by people 'driving like F&F'.  In many ways, Walker seemed like a stand-up person and amazing philanthropist.  However, he made money making movies that were substantial influences in so many horrible things.  He lived by his sword, and he died by it. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 09:18:59 AM

Paul Walker died due to reckless driving.
Super fast cars can easily get away from even the best of drivers.  Let's also not rule out the possibility of mechanical failure or split second indecision (neither will likely ever be known).
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 09:45:16 AM

...Super fast cars can easily get away from even the best of drivers.
That is why it is illegal to drive super fast.
Let's also not rule out the possibility of mechanical failure or split second indecision (neither will likely ever be known).
The obligatory exploration of theoretical possibilities?  Yes, there is a possibility that the gas pedal was stuck, the driver had a heart attack, etc... sure.  A possibility.  A remote, unreasonably unlikely possibility.  However, the earliest reports of evidence at the scene do not point in this direction.  There are no eye witnesses to the accident.  However, the vehicle was traveling fast enough that it hit several objects before disintegrating when it hit a tree.  They left 5 or 6 minutes before the accident, but were still within close earshot of the event (pointing at them driving back and forth in the vicintiy of the event).  He stated he was going to be'd be 'back in 5 minutes'.  Why drive for 5 minutes?  What can you do in a five minute trip?  If you go to the store, you'll be in the store for at least five minutes.  Earwitnesses heard reving engines immediately prior to the crash.  The police have clearly stated that speed was a factor, but have yet to reveal the results of their investigation into how fast the vehicle was going (the preliminary assessment is usually available internally within minutes of the investigators making an initiial viewing of the scene).  Up and down the road near the crash site were burned rubber and doughnut marks as though someone smoked their tires in figure 8 patterns.  Either this was evidence of their activities, or it was a spot that people went to to conduct these types of activities.  Either is damning information.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 10:37:48 AM

It's one thing to get your kicks by going 100+ on a deserted stretch of highway. It's totally irresponsible to go flying around neighborhoods at 60+ on local streets. Not even professional racecar drivers would do that.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 10:53:54 AM

I've got it!  We'll just outlaw the super fast cars and then the problem will be solved!
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 11:00:16 AM

It's not the cars that kill people, it's the person pushing the accelerator.

- Viin
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 11:28:29 AM

I've got it!  We'll just outlaw the super fast cars and then the problem will be solved!
You sound like you're joking, but we're getting to a point where the technology is available to prevent vehicles from driving above the speed limit.  I'm in favor of inconveniencing people in order to save lives - although if properly done, it could be part of a larger system that alleviates traffic, etc...

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 11:34:49 AM

although if properly done, it could be part of a larger system that alleviates traffic, etc...

Not even a one percent chance of happening ever.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 11:51:29 AM

The image might be seen as offensive/inappropriate by some so in spoilers but it sums up my opinion on this:

edit:changed image source so it might work better now
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:45:40 PM by satael »
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 12:08:33 PM

The image might be seen as offensive/inappropriate by some so in spoilers but it sums up my opinion on this:

404 borked.  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 12:28:58 PM

Not even professional racecar drivers would do that.

But maybe former professional drivers.  Apparently, the owner of the car is a former pro driver and is suspected to have been in the car.  No one knows which of the two was driving yet.

I have never played WoW.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 12:41:26 PM

although if properly done, it could be part of a larger system that alleviates traffic, etc...
Not even a one percent chance of happening ever.
Did you know that autonomous cars are legal (for certain purposes) in DC, Nevada, Florida and California (with a dozen or so states considering legalizing them for testing purposes)?  Goggle has thrown an incredible amount of resources into pursuing the legalization of automated driving so that it can corner the market in the underlying technology. 

Once the automated cars become commonplace, and insurance rates for non-automated vehicles skyrocket to ridiculous proportions, the speed limits will be strictly enforced and the cars will communicate to alleviate traffic.

It is just a matter of time - just like it is only a matter of time before robots deliver mail, packages, etc...

Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 02:12:27 PM

Did you know that autonomous cars are legal (for certain purposes) in DC, Nevada, Florida and California (with a dozen or so states considering legalizing them for testing purposes)?  Goggle has thrown an incredible amount of resources into pursuing the legalization of automated driving so that it can corner the market in the underlying technology. 

Once the automated cars become commonplace, and insurance rates for non-automated vehicles skyrocket to ridiculous proportions, the speed limits will be strictly enforced and the cars will communicate to alleviate traffic.

It is just a matter of time - just like it is only a matter of time before robots deliver mail, packages, etc...

So... we are derailing the obits now?

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 02:33:18 PM

While his death was ironic considering his fame I think it is pretty low class to turn it into an excuse to crusade against his movies and/or fast cards jgsugden. You sound like one of those Senators that rails against video games everytime some nutcase shoots up a high school.

The dude was a decent guy from all I've heard and he leaves behind a daughter who is the same age as mine. He died while leaving a charity event for God's sake so stop with the attempt to sound all high and mighty about how he died.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 02:55:54 PM

I disagree. The guy made millions starring in movies glorifying exactly this type of driving.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 02:59:41 PM

Tricky one, right enough.

Question :  Do we feel that having that argument HERE is the best way to go ?

Really ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 03:03:11 PM

Probably not. 

-Rasix
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 03:07:38 PM

I blame GTA.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 03:08:25 PM

Male stupidity with vehicles predates video games.  why so serious?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 03:27:42 PM

Tricky one, right enough.

Question :  Do we feel that having that argument HERE is the best way to go ?
It is as appropriate place as any.

Really ?
Yes. 

The circumstances of his death and the surrounding issues are an inherent part of "Paul Walker, Fast and Furious actor, dead".

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 03:28:49 PM

Righto.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 05:08:51 PM

He also played the starting QB in Varsity Blues, so why don't we throw concussion risks in here while we're at it.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 05:13:08 PM

Don't forget diving for a drug lord's sunken plane and medieval time travel!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 05:14:15 PM

Don't forget diving for a drug lord's sunken plane and medieval time travel!

Yeah that time travel shit is completely unsafe!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Paul Walker, Fast and Furious actor, dead  
Jump to: