Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:25:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Trove, new Minecraft-like MMO from Trion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trove, new Minecraft-like MMO from Trion  (Read 36135 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 09:12:17 AM

This really looks like some legit game devs decided cube world looked awesome and that they could easily outpace cube world's development speed.

The shader does look pretty ass however.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 09:21:51 AM

For me, its just the black lines really. Not a fan of that in this application.

This doesn't look like a Minecraft clone, it looks like a Cube world clone.

This.  Cube world also gets old VERY quickly.  I don't see how this will have any 'stick' to it at all.

If I understand properly this does actually have building stuff in it, right?

From that article, I didn't read anything about building in the free form way Minecraft does, it reads more like cube world/Diablo.

Hartman had a difficult time classifying Trove because the game doesn't lend itself to a nice, neat category. While it will be an MMO with persistence and have many players interacting and adventuring together, it won't be a conventional MMO in any respect.

So the concept behind Trove is that the game will contain "a universe of worlds" that players can travel between. While Hartsman was cagey about some of the specifics of the game, he repeatedly suggested we rethink how MMOs work; in this case, each world should be thought of in the same way as a mob spawn. Worlds will be created when players log in and could (but might not) disappear when they log out. The universe of Trove will expand and retract dynamically to fit the population.

There are two types of worlds that will be encountered. Public worlds will be created by the system, randomly generated with specific objectives. Hartsman compared it a little to Diablo's maps in how each run-through will be a little different in terms of layout, but the core objective will remain. Public worlds also have the chance to hold unique or special resources. Then there are private worlds, where just you and your friends (or just you!) can go off for a grand adventure of your own.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:24:41 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #37 on: November 22, 2013, 09:26:39 AM

I just don't know. Fun in sandbox games is usually based on trial and error and vision of a single individual. Who is this person Trove?

I see EQ Next as a much better plan.  Take the sandbox fun pioneered by Notch, bring it to 21st technology. Then use it as content generation resource for modern content-based MMO.

"Me am play gods"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 22, 2013, 10:38:27 AM

I see EQ Next as a much better plan.
"Things you never expected to see posted on F13 dot net" for 250 please.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #39 on: November 22, 2013, 11:28:44 AM

LOL, I just scope that to the subject of cloning minecraft. I still have great doubts about Sony's commitment to F2P or viability of raid centric content.

"Me am play gods"
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #40 on: November 22, 2013, 07:06:28 PM

The problem with Trove will be turning all the neat features it could have into something that's actually fun for a lot of people who have to interact with each other.

Whenever I see the "you can create / destroy what you like in the game" I know it will either be abused by players or so minimised as to be unimportant to game play.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #41 on: November 23, 2013, 08:22:00 PM

TIL: the reason nobody has replicated minecraft is because nobody at the management level understands minecraft. Or how to monetize it.

And the few indies that do get it are painfully unprofessional.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 09:24:15 AM

This is why Trove can't just be positioned as a free MC. The price is so low they've got everyone who wants a MC like experience.

I think this is where you are wrong. MC may not be expensive, but any cost at all is a large barrier to entry. $5-20 may not be much for you, but it's an insurmountable cost for someone that doesn't easily have a way to make credit card purchases online.

I'll agree they have a really wierd checkout and profile-management UI, kinda like devs just slapped it together and did no UAT with normal people.

However, the amount of revenue they've generated disagrees with you. There's free versiosn of MC on select platforms, the gateway drug to eventually convincing the parent to make the purchase. If they project stratospheric adoption numbers by going free/f2p, they'd have done it.

But then, just as they have issues with the business side of the experience, I'm also not sure they have much business savvy. That allows for competition which is good.

But like Sky said: the competition doesn't really understand MC.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 06:51:22 PM

Hey remember going to their website to sign up for beta? Looks like Trion jumped on the pay for beta KS-like bandwagon.

Trove Support Packs are now live at trovegame.com! Everyone who supports Trove with one of these special Credit bundles will get a spot in beta (or alpha for Adventurers and above!)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 06:57:44 PM

TIL: the reason nobody has replicated minecraft is because nobody at the management level understands minecraft. Or how to monetize it.

And the few indies that do get it are painfully unprofessional.

I fully expect Activision to give it a shot within 4 years.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: November 30, 2013, 12:57:07 PM

Hey remember going to their website to sign up for beta? Looks like Trion jumped on the pay for beta KS-like bandwagon.

Trove Support Packs are now live at trovegame.com! Everyone who supports Trove with one of these special Credit bundles will get a spot in beta (or alpha for Adventurers and above!)

I'm getting awful fucking sick of "Founder's Packs."

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 01:18:35 AM

You are voxing awesome.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 03:53:16 AM

So all the Trion games are cash shop based, but they all use different points?

That doesn't seem smart

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 12:05:10 PM

Sure it is.  Look at the shampoo aisle in any store.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 04:56:42 AM

I'm getting awful fucking sick of "Founder's Packs."

It's got a better ring to it than "Pre-pay for Alpha", but the result is the same.

schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 05:49:51 PM

You are voxing awesome.

This is how children die.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 09, 2014, 08:46:23 AM

This is $5 for the next couple days. http://www.trovegame.com/2014/08/trove-access-sale/

For less than a burger and fries I snagged it. It's sort of a cube world where the devs actually update it regularly.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 09, 2014, 12:39:46 PM

Meh. I'm weak.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 09, 2014, 01:30:41 PM

Quick comments, using Minecraft and Landmark as references?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 09, 2014, 01:56:35 PM

If Cube World is the reference point then the building is probably sadly limited to non-existent.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 09, 2014, 05:29:08 PM

There are monsters to fight and some neat mini-dungeon things, but somehow the world manages to feel emptier than Landmark. I'm probably doing it wrong.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 09, 2014, 05:48:50 PM

Does it require installing Trion's pet version of Origin/Uplay?

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 09, 2014, 06:00:18 PM

Yes

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 09, 2014, 06:07:40 PM

Then not even for $5. :\

Thanks for the answer!

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 10, 2014, 12:07:56 PM

If Cube World is the reference point then the building is probably sadly limited to non-existent.
No, there's a lot more building than that. I haven't done it yet though. I'd say more like Landmark where you get a small claim to develop.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 18, 2014, 06:38:42 PM

Since there is a dopey cape for Rift for hitting level 10, I decided to give it a shot. It's definitely nailed the adventuring vibe of Cube World. Seems like they're keeping content pretty modular and plugging in different dungeons and bosses across the world, and of course there's dinglewtz. Lots of player-created content, most of the loot has a maker tag on it.

Still haven't done a whole lot with the building, but there are some pretty cool structures here and there.

No doubt I got $5 worth out of it as-is. I'm interested to see in where they go with it, given the modular stuff and player content (which I assume is curated).
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 06, 2014, 02:02:33 PM

If there was anyone wanting to give this a try, I have a spare key to hand out.  Should be good until at least the 25th when CB starts.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:44:24 PM by Cadaverine »

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 06, 2014, 05:29:06 PM

If your key is still available I'll give it a go
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 25, 2014, 12:16:02 PM

It's free for the weekend. All you need to do is to install Glyph, and download just 200MB. It's kind of cute.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 27, 2014, 11:09:27 AM

Played this over the weekend. I was impressed how well it ran ( Compared to cube world ). The user sourcing for content is well curated and is likely to provide more variation in items and environments then other games of the same style. The combat is enjoyable, its fun to explore, and the random item system is akin to Diablo like games. Classes appear to be more like MOBA characters in some aspects.

Right now, its game play is rather basic, Build and Explore/Dungeon, Garden. But the above is promising, if they add more layers to this, they just may have a great title here. Its a solid foundation.

The pocket housing is clever, especially in a MMO setting, and I hear tale that "guild" or "club" areas are free build instances.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:13:07 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 27, 2014, 01:33:04 PM

Still waiting for someone to actually give me MMO creation (NPC scripting, etc.) tools along with the content creation tools.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 27, 2014, 03:06:18 PM

That will happen after someone figures out how to un-reveal Sturgeon's Revelation.

edit: unless you meant they should only give the tools to you, as opposed to the general public  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 27, 2014, 10:25:40 PM

Still waiting for someone to actually give me MMO creation (NPC scripting, etc.) tools along with the content creation tools.

Did you ever try Neverwinter's Foundry? Pretty powerful tools.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 28, 2014, 10:36:05 AM

The pocket housing is clever, especially in a MMO setting, and I hear tale that "guild" or "club" areas are free build instances.
Yes.  You get a small bit of land in a huge area.  You can craft biomes to thrown down and expand the area you have, which requires resources.

It's fairly simplistic overall, but I'm enjoying it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 31, 2014, 08:58:53 AM

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Trove, new Minecraft-like MMO from Trion  
Jump to: