Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:56:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: SWGemu 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWGemu  (Read 10786 times)
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

on: November 12, 2013, 08:11:22 AM

Feel free to move this to the Gaming Graveyard, but I had last week off and spent a good amount of time playing this again and wanted to give an update.

Let's get this out of the way:  If you hated it before, you'll hate it now.  That said, if in recent years you've ever had a fond memory of SWG pre-cu, this is worth trying.  They've worked out so many of the bugs that it almost feels finished.  There's a healthy economy (i.e. vendors all over the place with quality items), player cities, missions work, and there are doctors and entertainers actively buffing and providing solo groups.  Squad leaders also hang out in the cantina and invite for solo groups. 
Coronet is the most populated place and is pretty much the preferred starting location, with Mos Eisley a distant second. 

People have developed mods for updating appearance and UI:  http://www.modthegalaxy.com/forums/

It's dated, but maybe the mods help (I haven't tried them).  And it was weirdly structured in the first place, but that is one of the reasons we love it.  Having to get buffed to do anything productive, and to even wear your armor (lol), is annoying, but it forces player interaction.  Talking to doctors and entertainers, having a respectful and positive attitude, has opened doors and allowed me to network...even getting tipped back 100k credits from a doc who noticed I didn't have armor. 

Not sure of the longevity of my interest, but for now it's fun to jump in for a few hours here and there.  It's a cult game.  It's SWTOR's Hardware Wars  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:58:19 AM

Wth is a "solo group"?  I don't think one of those words means what you think it means.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 02:49:47 PM

Solo group is basically a bunch of people grouping up so that you can increase the difficulty of missions.  However you don't actually do the missions in a group, everyone goes off and does their own.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 03:02:14 PM

Like a GW2 Dynamic Event (or one of those from Warhammer or Rift)?
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 05:23:20 PM

Like a GW2 Dynamic Event (or one of those from Warhammer or Rift)?
No...
More like a way to make missions higher level, that usually involves people grouping for a mission terminal only, and then splitting to kill the mission objectives. It was originally a semi-exploit mostly used with multi-boxers to get cash, exp or faction points quicker by taking bunches of missions with mules that waited by a mission terminal perpetually while the person solo'd the content/reward.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 06:47:13 PM

I have been playing since the current server went live over a year ago, although I took a break for a good part of that. I am actively playing for about the last 2 months again.

There is much I could say but I'll will just throw a few general notes here:

Not all the classes are implemented and some are waiting on an AI rewrite. The current AI is simplistic.

Dual logging is currently allowed (1 account per player, 2 characters at a time, 10 character slots). This changes the flavor some from the intended replication of the 2004 live game (pre Combat Upgrade, publish 14.1).

Every optimization the can be known is known given the age of the game. Character builds are often optimized for a specific class of mobs. Leveling is fast for most builds, again given that most every method has been tried in the last 10 years.

There is much more I could answer. Ask away if interested.

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:32:34 PM

Wth is a "solo group"?  I don't think one of those words means what you think it means.

These were pretty common in swg before the nge (not sure about post nge).  The more people in your group, the higher  the credit reward you received.  Group members didn't have to be near you for this to occur.  We use to have an afk group set up in a guild hall where you would group with an afk musician and dancer for buffs and an AT-ST to ensure you got the highest mission possible.  Joining the group was done via a macro that was spammed by either the musician or dancer.  Almost all pve content in swg was soloable so not having anyone with you didn't matter.
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 04:46:55 AM

Blimey I never thought the EMU got off the ground - I'll have to check this out.

Is it pretty painless to get up and running?
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 06:16:57 AM

Yep. You need a copy of the client (old CD). Almost any of them will do I believe. You download the emu's launchpad, create an account at the forums. I think you might need to change a setting or two in the launchpad, as some of the server addresses changed. Away you go.

All this is on the forums of coarse, and you need to go there anyway to set up your account.

If anyone would like a kickstart of 100k or so, email 'Uzon' in game and we'll get ya covered. This will save a bit of the early slogging running delivery missions for starting credits.

http://www.swgemu.com
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:18:58 AM by Nyght »

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 06:49:41 AM

Nyght--you part of a city?  And where are some good places to shop besides the South Coro Mall?
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 07:12:43 AM

No.. no city memberships. I am really kind of lone wolf guy. I have a vendor house not far from SCM, a 'work' house near Kor Vella, and a guild hall called 'Three Spires Ranch' near Mos Entha. These keep me well enough entertained. I run a little niche crafting business that supports all these and slowly builds wealth.

As for shopping, it is a matter of convenience. You can always slug through thousands of listings on 'vendor' listings on the bazaar and get a better price (I have been know to do this at times) or accept the easy  shopping and likely pay a few credits more. For higher end items (skill tapes and such) I watch the trade forum. The trade forums will often alert you to the most active vendors as well. I tend to ignore the Coro Starport barkers as they have disappointed me on a number of occasions.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 08:09:55 AM

Let me ask.

What features are NOT int he EMU version at this time?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 08:24:48 AM

AI on the level of the original game is probably the most missed feature. No bring a friend, making soloing much less challenging. Pet commands are current being worked on, mostly in regards to faction pets.

This is holding up advanced work on Creature Handler and Droid Engineer ( and droids). Also I believe Commando and associated heavy weapons. A few other class issues like mast scent for scouts, camouflage for rangers, cover for riflemen. There is a fairly up to date listed floating around the dev section of the forums I believe.

Folks should be aware that TEFs were not active during the period of the game being replicated. This causes much grousing among the PvP crowd.

JTL (space) features are not in and not being actively developed as far as I am aware.

Reputation beyond factions is not in at all I believe. Kill all the police officers, janta etc you like with no repercussions. Many originally aggressive mobs are not aggressive because of this.

There is probably many more but these are the ones that come to my somewhat limited sphere of PVE play.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 09:58:28 PM

We had a thread for this in the Graveyard.  http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=11168.0

Good to see they are still on course.  Project status:  http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:29 PM

Awww, no JTL yet?  Heartbreak
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 05:22:07 AM

This is holding up advanced work on Creature Handler and Droid Engineer ( and droids). aggressive mobs are not aggressive because of this.

So is DE not in at all or do the droids just not work?

DE not being in is a dealbreaker for me but if its just that droids don't [currently] work it won't be far off my original SWG experience smiley
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 01:16:48 PM

You can train DE but nothing useful to make except chassis as deco. No functioning droids except the bounty hunter variety.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 07:57:30 PM

I still hop into this now and again. I like.

My Jedi is gone after the last wipe, but my Smuggler/TK master still fucks shit up on demand.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 05:07:11 AM

Should I be using Basilisk despite that not being recommended?

Notwithstanding the fact that I can't currently connect to either server despite both being listed as online
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 07:29:37 AM

Should I be using Basilisk despite that not being recommended?

Notwithstanding the fact that I can't currently connect to either server despite both being listed as online

Basilisk for more longevity.  TC Nova might just be recommended because of the lower population.   I think TC gets wiped more often, but I also think there are sometimes blue frogs there which means you can get full skills and equipment to play around with.  Sound about right Nyght?
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 07:56:01 AM

Yeah, NOVA is the test server. Population is rarely above a dozen.  Basilisk is the play server where every one is.

Connection issues may be this:

Launchpad Enhanced Issues
You will need to change the server address in swgemu_login.cfg (located in C:\SWGEmu folder) from chicago2.swgemu.com to login.swgemu.com

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:06:03 AM by Nyght »

Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 05:02:12 AM

Yeah, NOVA is the test server. Population is rarely above a dozen.  Basilisk is the play server where every one is.

Connection issues may be this:

Launchpad Enhanced Issues
You will need to change the server address in swgemu_login.cfg (located in C:\SWGEmu folder) from chicago2.swgemu.com to login.swgemu.com

Thanks - mine was set to nova not chicargo but changing it seems to have done the trick smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: SWGemu  
Jump to: