Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWIIOL aka Battlefield Europe - It just refuses to die 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WWIIOL aka Battlefield Europe - It just refuses to die  (Read 10097 times)
Brolan
Terracotta Army

on: November 06, 2013, 07:18:00 PM

I keep expecting to hear they finally gave up over at CRS, but they keep hanging in there.  For former players they have a Welcome Back Soldier promotion that runs the next week.   

Also they have some FTP content for new players, not sure what you can do for FTP.  Infantry?

You'll be underwhelmed by the graphics but you might have some fun in the large (and mostly empty) gameworld they have created.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 01:50:37 PM

Arise!

And just like this thread, WWIIOnline is back with another welcome back soldier promotion.

I haven't been following the soap opera that is this game for years, but it looks like the old devs have sold out to some new devs, who are honest to God (they promise) going to bring new life and players into the game.

Since they are set for an upcoming Steam re-release, they will at least get new players, for a bit.

Even though I'm being stylishly cynical above, I did have some fun years with this game, as broken as it always was. It attracted a class of player and gameplay that I have never found since, and I sometimes miss. Even Planetside I or II can't compare.

Anyway, here is a link to the new roadmap, if anyone is interested.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:04:04 AM

Got any ideas on what broke the logjam?  For a while it seemed like they were handcuffed by their own game engine, then they created a new one but no new vehicles ever showed up.    Maybe the new devs just have a chunk of money?

I'm still of the opinion they need to create a large number of new vehicles with simple statsical damage models to get more players into the game.  Then they can go back and create the detailed historical models on the most important vehicles.

They also need desperately to balance the campaign, players need to think they have a chance to keep playing.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 12:27:09 PM

Re the logjam, I was hoping somebody else might know. As I said, I haven't kept up with the game for at least five years, maybe longer.

I do remember getting some sort of "new management" notification a while back, and looking over the current dev list Bloo is the only one I recognize. Didn't he leave the game for a while? Or I might be getting him confused with Snail. But perhaps he gathered a new team of Rats and came back and ousted the old team of Rats. Makes a good narrative, anyway.

Looks like they are doing some things to, once again, try to speed up gameplay, simplify the command system, and add new vehicles and weapons. Good for them, although that does little to entice me back. Honestly, WWIIOnline was one of those games I think would have struggled even if it had not launched with crippling bugs. I just don't think there is enough of a grognardy, sim loving virtual war player base to sustain a large semi persistent open world shooter like this.

So saving the game always meant losing the game.

Some things are just not meant to be.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:49:47 PM

The logjam was the old devs just weren't good enough.  Plain and simple.  I was a WW2O player pre-AO and it was a glorious game back then, well before any decent graphics were installed.
They failed to realize that updating the vehicles, factions, and locales was the utmost important thing in the game.  The game never changed... like, ever.  Was the same static (though obscenely large) map year after year, with largely the same kit year after year.

The old hats got fed up and left... the dev's solution was to chokepoint the game ala PS2 to counteract the lack of playerbase; rendering the map size moot anyways... and then promise super-duper graphics.  May as well have gated content at that point.

Meh.  All they had to do was rotate the maps; obviously the Pacific Front (which was supposed to have subs and carriers, etc.).  They didn't do that and focused on the wrong things.  If Battlefield: Pacific actually happened, the game would damn near be the best MMO ever made; with only WoW being able to compete.  It could have been that good.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:51:24 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 02:57:37 PM

I had a lot of fun with this for a long time, but at this point I just see no reason not to play Planetside 2 if I want something in this vein.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 05:37:27 AM

The few times I have played PS2 I was struck by how similar it was to WWIIOL.  It's like they took the WWIIOL template and put it in a (slightly) sci-fi world.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 08:10:10 AM

From what I can gather (and like many I stopped playing 5-6 years back though funnily enough my old ww2ol squad forum is the only game specific group I keep up with), none of the original CRS team are left, it's staffed by people who came up through the playerbase. They funded the latest changes through a kickstarter or something similar.

How this game stays alive, with what has to be a miniscule playerbase, is beyond me. It had a lot of potential but the devs were never up to the task. Still I had a LOT of fun playing this and will shed a tear when it finally dies. No game since has come close to attempting its scope.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 04:59:36 AM

V1.35 released and welcome back soldier is in effect with all old accounts reactivated.  I might give it a try this time as I'm bored with everything else I'm playing.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 05:04:16 AM

I got an e-mail out of the blue from my old clan/squad/platoon whatever they are called in this game and I have to admit it is tempting to reinstall it and fire it up again.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 06:49:23 AM

What would the "Never played this, what the hell, I'll give it a try" experience be like?

Hic sunt dracones.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 07:01:27 AM

It would be something like "What the hell is going on, why did I just run through a field for 10 minutes then get killed in one shot by a guy I never saw."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 07:05:37 AM

Better to play PlanetSide 2 if you just want to play an MMOFPS with combined arms.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 07:07:31 AM

Better to play PlanetSide 2 if you just want to play an MMOFPS with combined arms.

Almost certainly true. Reinstalling this would be purely for nostalgia reasons. The game has a wicked learning curve, punishes you for not knowing what you're doing, and can have long stretches of nothing happening.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 08:00:33 AM

Yes, but while it has flying it lacks flying tanks and 5-step weapon reloading.  why so serious? 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 09:10:54 AM

It would be something like "What the hell is going on, why did I just run through a field for 10 minutes then get killed in one shot by a guy I never saw."
War.  War never changes.

Also, holy fuck I cannot believe this still exist.  I bought it on release day, and played it for a few months.  I wonder if my account still exist.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:12:38 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 09:14:06 AM

I would probably go back and check this out again, but I am juggling about 5 games already and just don't have time for it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 01:17:34 PM

I would check it out, but it's a simulation, not a game and only appeals to a very small subset of people who will all kill you before you see them.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 02:03:58 PM

It doesn't die, because it's a damned good game.  If they devved the Pacific Theatre (and marketed it appropriately), I bet for a spell it'd be the top MMO out there... especially if they could link the two theaters strategically somehow; likely through the resource war.

If you pop in to check it out, you must join a squad though or suffer a pretty craptacular experience.  Also, try and dip your head into officer training (the strat layer) and so forth.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WWIIOL aka Battlefield Europe - It just refuses to die  
Jump to: