Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:55:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dracula 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dracula  (Read 2135 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

on: November 02, 2013, 02:29:11 PM

Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this.  It's come out of left field but as someone who enjoys vampires, it's definitely a must see.  They certainly take liberties with the original sotryline and Dracula's faux american accent the does gets a bit annoying but the production value is nice and he is appropriately evil and badass.  Also it's the first network drama i've seen you matte paintings which I appreciate, a lot.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:25:21 PM

I watched the second ep I think, and it looks like one I might wanna catch up on yeah. I agree about the accent. It sounds forced and fake.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:15 PM

I watched the second ep I think, and it looks like one I might wanna catch up on yeah. I agree about the accent. It sounds forced and fake.
I cant be sure, but I think the bad accent is intended.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 03:59:02 PM

I cant be sure, but I think the bad accent is intended.

I believe it is intended but still kind of annoying.  There are scenes where he talks to Renfield or Van Helsing and it sounds a million times better and I wish they would just stick with that.  It's not like british people back then could tell an american accent from a walachian one.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 04:34:40 PM

Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this.  It's come out of left field but as someone who enjoys vampires, it's definitely a must see.  They certainly take liberties with the original sotryline and Dracula's faux american accent the does gets a bit annoying but the production value is nice and he is appropriately evil and badass.  Also it's the first network drama i've seen you matte paintings which I appreciate, a lot.

I actually kinda like that a romanian from the 1800s didn't actually manage to pull off a perfect american accent.

I am the .00000001428%
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 01:40:49 PM

The American accent does help distract me from the fact that Henry VIII is now a vampire.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:40:51 PM

His American accent started to remind me vaguely of a Christian Slater impression, and now I can't not hear him doing that when he talks.  Ohhhhh, I see.

As for the show, I can't really decide if I like it or not but I'll give it a lot of credit for excellent production values and being at least more interesting than most of what shows up on network television.  I'm not sure why it's necessary to do a re-imagined version of the book but I'm curious enough to keep watching it for now.

Oddly, the biggest problem I have right now is Dracula's physical aversion to sunlight.  I realize that's a vampire trope now, but in the original book he had no trouble walking around in the day.  Since it seems to be turning into a major plot point I'll put up with that bit of irritation.  It's not a deal-breaker or anything.  It just messes up personal imagining that all the stuff that's been changed in the show's present is because of something that happened differently in Dracula's past.  Oh well, I'm just being picky I guess.

Over and out.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 08:09:43 PM

This show is my kind of vampire show.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:40:33 AM

Much as I'm still enjoying this it looks like it may be doomed to cancellation.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 10:46:41 AM

Which is too bad really, I'm really enjoying this. Dracula as a character is interesting and somewhat multifaceted and the story seems to be moving along at a fairly strong clip. They really aren't afraid to burn through characters either. This almost needs to be on CW or one of the cable networks.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 11:53:41 AM

His American accent started to remind me vaguely of a Christian Slater impression, and now I can't not hear him doing that when he talks.  Ohhhhh, I see.

ME TOO

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 10:36:20 PM

Which is too bad really, I'm really enjoying this. Dracula as a character is interesting and somewhat multifaceted and the story seems to be moving along at a fairly strong clip. They really aren't afraid to burn through characters either. This almost needs to be on CW or one of the cable networks.

Because what the CW needs is more vampire shows.

Over and out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dracula  
Jump to: