Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:06:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Democracy 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Democracy 3  (Read 1021 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

on: October 20, 2013, 03:36:49 AM

Have been made aware of this by it's Steam Store page. Produced by Positech and priced at an indie-games level of 24.99 Ameros (22.99€). Runs on Win, Linux & Mac.

The player takes the position of the current ruler of a country (prime minister, president, etc..) with the aim of being re-elected next elections.

Never heard of the series before and hard to judge from a few pictures only. It certainly looks interesting, but 20$€ is a bit much for an impulse buy. Has anyone ever played one of its predecessors?

Trailer: http://youtu.be/JjNTeqvd_qk

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 04:41:51 AM

I haven't played it, but watched a couple Let's Plays of it earlier out of curiosity as I'd never heard of it before. Its interesting, but seems a bit limited in a number of ways; its too easy to become popular and get re-elected (most who've played it, from what I've seen/read say getting re-elected it easy, not getting assassinated is a bit harder), it limits things to two parties (your own and the opposition party) thus removing the depth of parties present in most democracies as well as possible issues like coalitions and minority governments, and its a bit shallow in terms of consequences for various actions you take.

I may buy it and give it a try, because it does look interesting despite its flaws, and I don't mind possibly wasting money when it comes to indie games that are clearly trying to do something different.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 04:59:13 PM

Its by the guy who made Gratuitous Space battles isn't it?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:16:45 PM

Believe so, yeah.

I did end up buying the game. Its pretty much like I described; easy (unless you get assassinated), bit shallow. Only two party system is bleh, and it doesn't do a great job of depicting democracy and the troubles the various states have (I got rid of the entire U.S. debt within two terms and by the end of it I had so much money coming in I even had the military spending maxxed out -- to combat unemployment, which along with obesity was the only problem I couldn't solve in two terms).

Its a nice little game, but I wouldn't recommend paying more than $5-$10 for it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Democracy 3  
Jump to: