Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:05:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Grand Budapest Hotel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Grand Budapest Hotel  (Read 5399 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: October 17, 2013, 11:46:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk

The cast in this... Penciling this in.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:54:16 PM

Aha, I was just looking for a trailer for this yesterday. It looks rather good doesn't it?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 04:17:44 PM

I'm an incredibly easy mark for Wes Anderson, bit this.... this looks fantastic. If it holds up, it could really be the defining point of refining his style. Going to be very hard to beat Moonrise Kingdom, but... this looks good.

beer geek.
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 07:05:12 AM

So fucking excited, but understatedly so
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:23:05 AM

SNL's Wes Anderson trailer

This was pretty darn good (except for Edward Norton's Owen Wilson impersonation which sounded more like Woody Allen).

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:46:24 PM

Not such a stretch, given Woody Allen cast Owen Wilson in the Woody Allen role in Midnight in Paris.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 01:55:06 PM

The cast in this...

...is the same cast as every Wes Anderson movie? so yeah, a must watch.

I am the .00000001428%
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 11:55:16 PM

As a Budapest resident, I have to raise an objection about this completely unrealistic depiction of Glorious Hungary. why so serious?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 08:54:14 PM

Just got around to seeing this before it finally left local theaters; thought it was fantastic basically top to bottom. The performances, costumes, camera work, miniatures, and especially the soundtrack - everything was pretty much great. Recommended.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 03:36:12 AM

I saw this a few days back and came away really happy. I already have a great love for Wes Anderson movies, but this one might be his best to date. I also think it might be his most accessible movie for those who haven't been able to get into his movies in the past.

In summary: Do you like Wes Anderson movies? Watch it. Do you dislike Wes Anderson movies? Go ahead and watch it.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 10:13:33 PM

The wife hated it, thought it was boring.

We disagreed.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 08:02:45 AM

SNL's Wes Anderson trailer

This was pretty darn good (except for Edward Norton's Owen Wilson impersonation which sounded more like Woody Allen).

That was pretty hilarious.

Watched this movie on Friday and really enjoyed it.  The movie was gorgeous, the story was fun, and the characters were well done.  Rushmore may still be my fav, but this one was close.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 11:46:11 AM

Watched this with my wife, both didn't care for it.  I enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom more.  Grand Budapest just felt like a Wes Anderson circle jerk to me.  Everything was so over the top that style that it felt like a parody of itself and it was just boring to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeopJiWnkFI

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:46:49 PM

Saw this over the weekend.

I liked it, though I don't think it is as good as *Moonrise Kingdom* was.

Mrs. Naum was not impressed, however, as it was all just too quirky for her.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:41:55 AM

Saw it, loved it.  One of the most enjoyable films I've seen in a long time.  First Wes Anderson movie I've seen as well, so now I'm tempted to finally watch some of the others.  The trailers for Moonrise Kingdom made it look like a borning wierd circle jerk of a movie, but if its anything like this, I'll give it a go.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 06:32:56 AM

If you liked it, you'll probably like the rest of Wes Anderson's movies.  It is pretty indicative of his style.  Don't limit yourself just to Moonrise Kingdom though.  He's got a great body of work.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 03:06:26 PM

Team Zissou!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 03:13:34 PM

Saw it, loved it.  One of the most enjoyable films I've seen in a long time.  First Wes Anderson movie I've seen as well, so now I'm tempted to finally watch some of the others.  The trailers for Moonrise Kingdom made it look like a borning wierd circle jerk of a movie, but if its anything like this, I'll give it a go.

All of his movies are weird circlejerks. But the writing and acting makes up for it.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 10:04:27 PM

Yeah I thought this one was ergh. Only film I've really liked is Life Acquatic.
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 06:53:37 AM

Life aquatic is my favorite movie, so I always judge his films against that standard, which may be a mistake. This one was a little too...I dunno, overdone.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Grand Budapest Hotel  
Jump to: