Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:43:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Commander Highlander 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Commander Highlander  (Read 7518 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

on: October 14, 2013, 12:04:15 PM

A dude I know got into MtG, so I decided to dig out my cardboard and make a deck to play Commander Highlander with him and a bunch of other people. Decided that B/W is the way, and I've always wanted to play Teysa, Orzhov Scion. I splurged on some singles (mostly lands so I don't get frustrated, but some really interesting new shit as well). Serra Ascendant seems totally unfair every fifteen games or so.

I'll post a decklist when I get around to it, but in the meantime you fuckers need to tell me anecdotes about the format. I don't think I've played more than a handful of games.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:42:24 PM

First off you can leave the Highlander part off the name, its either EDH or Commander.

My only tip is to build more for fun than for power. Some guy comboing off for 15 minutes doesn't really make for a fun game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:01:23 AM

I played Commander at my LGS several times and on the whole I'm not a fan.  People either play goofy fun theme decks, or they go all "serious bizness" and play very non interactive "hey i've got the infinite combo again, everyone else loses" style decks which quite frankly, combine the worst parts of Magic into a sucky whole.  Most LGS's and play groups have their own house rules they have to invent just to try and keep the games from being exercises in frustration and table flipping madness.  For instance, at my store if you have a combo that you cycle through more than 15 times, you lose points.  If you take more than 2? extra turns in a row, you start to lose points.  There are certain commanders which are banned and additions to the official ban list just based on what people in the store are no longer willing to put up with.

Simple interaction from a game just to give you an example.  Kiki-Jiki + Zealous Conscripts.  Just using those 2 cards alone is an infinite combo - Kiki taps to copy Zealous, the new zealous comes into play targeting Kiki, allowing it to untap, so it can make another zealous copy, which untaps it, repeat forever,then attack every opponent with an a bazillion 3/3 Zealous copies. 

That's just a simple example (and goodness knows there are tons of them involving kiki jiki alone); there are so many broken interactions available from the huge card pool that is Commander that it just really doesn't lend itself well to casual play.  Unless the players can practice self discipline, it's just too fragile a format for me to enjoy which is a shame, b/c there's a lot of fun that could be had with the long history of old magic cards, but since "fun" is in the eye of the beholder, it's a various schizo format to me.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:17:15 AM

All right, here's the decklist:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bw-pile-1/

It's really really casual, as I'm playing mostly with newbies. Not that I could've made anything really devious anyway, I couldn't find half my white rares. I think I have a UW Mobilization deck stashed away somewhere but I just can't find it. Couldn't even put Faith's Fetters in because of that!

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:39:03 AM

Still haven't gotten any games in, but my singles order arrived so I made a significantly meaner version (and one that doesn't get mana screwed all the time):

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bw-pile-redux/

In other news, I succumbed to some Theros boosters. I've no intention of buying them for playing purposes, but even so it felt dirty.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:41:09 PM

Part 3 of my monologue, got a couple of games in against a soldier deck. First game I lost to not knowing how to play Magic, the second I won due to opponent having the same problem. I did get a really nice recursion loop going on in the second game, Archon of Justice coming in and going out multiple times to remove nasty cards.

I'm liking the format so far, the best part is that you get to include all the fun synergies in one deck. Chances are you'll get at least one of them off.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Commander Highlander  
Jump to: