Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 02:09:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: HVAC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HVAC  (Read 3434 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: October 09, 2013, 05:52:46 AM

Because I might be able to fix this on my own.  Maybe.

Replaced a thermostat but the new one isn't starting the unit.  I haven't put the old one back but I'm not really sure I got the wiring correct since the old had six wires and all of the diagrams that came with the new one have five wires or less.

Old layout:

New layout:

Is anyone able to see where I went wrong?  Originally I had both O and B connected, until I read in the manual to pick one and so far have tried both individually.

You can also see that I don't have a C in the new tstat but I'm assuming B is where the old C goes.  The diagrams I have aren't very helpful in this regard.

EDIT: The old tstat had a "O/B" switch inside and it was set to O.  If that helps.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:59:51 AM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 06:10:21 AM

Well, I didn't try C -> O, if that's what you mean.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:34:37 AM

Did you try cutting the blue wire like in the movies?

Electricity/ wiring is beyond my ken. Things that can kill me I leave to the pros who get paid to do it. They have better insurance.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:39:39 AM

http://nest.com/ Get an awesome thermostat instead!

WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:00:17 AM

How has no one made a BOB joke yet? I am disappointed in you EVE folk.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:22:26 AM

Edit nevermind, misread your table.

Edit2: On second read: Go ahead and try removing the jumper between RC and RH, and try Blue connected to RC and Orange to O.

--Dave
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:27:33 AM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:35 AM

Sorry for the bastard link. I was grabbed by my boss for a huge set of impromptu meetings. Back to the topic, it looks like you have a few things not going to the correct terminals.

That blue wire is the wire that is used to run the front face of the thermostat itself. Now, these are usually run on batteries so clip the end off and tape it off if your new thermostat runs off batteries.

So
blue = (not used here but would go to C)
red = RH which has a jumper to RC
yellow = Y
white = W
green = G  
orange/brown = O

I am not an HVAC person so I have no authority on this, but I have installed a few of them for friends and family. That orange one I believe is for a heat pump.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 10:59:20 AM

I have nothing to offer to this discussion other than you must post video of your attempts to rewire this in the hopes that we see you shock yourself at least once.  why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 11:05:48 AM

You can't shock yourself with this.  I did blow the fuse, though.

That blue wire is the wire that is used to run the front face of the thermostat itself. Now, these are usually run on batteries so clip the end off and tape it off if your new thermostat runs off batteries.

So
yellow = Y
white = W
green = G   
orange/brown = O

Winner!  The old tstat had batteries and a C wire.

Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 06:16:23 PM

You can't shock yourself with this.  I did blow the fuse, though.

So
yellow = Y
white = W
green = G   
orange/brown = O

Winner!  The old tstat had batteries and a C wire.

You can shock yourself, but it's only 24v, so accidentally brushing your hand against something and *thinking* that you just got shocked is way worse than actually getting shocked.
Go ahead, try it.   awesome, for real
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 06:40:00 AM

I have a "thing" about being shocked, so I know.  Winter is coming and I'm already tense.

In any case, either I had already blown the fuse or it didn't tingle.

Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 08:44:57 AM

I have a "thing" about being shocked, so I know.  Winter is coming and I'm already tense.

In any case, either I had already blown the fuse or it didn't tingle.

I used to get squirrelly about getting a static shock on doorknobs and such. Then I mistakenly grabbed a live 15amp cable - very weird feeling and luckily I was squatting and fell back to break the connection, but still. The burns on my finger were pretty sick. After that... static shocks don't bother me.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 05:58:10 PM

I used to get squirrelly about getting a static shock on doorknobs and such. Then I mistakenly grabbed a live 15amp cable - very weird feeling and luckily I was squatting and fell back to break the connection, but still. The burns on my finger were pretty sick. After that... static shocks don't bother me.
Yeah, after taking a 4kV hit & a 480V 3phase hit, a little 24V doesn't scare me at all.  Not even 120VAC does.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 06:09:44 PM

Same here, after working with high voltage 10kV+ stuff, plugging myself into house current is somewhere below hitting my thumb with a hammer on my list of concerns.  12/24VDC isn't even worth talking about, barely a tingle at most.  Just make sure you're wearing insulating soles and don't ground your other arm.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 07:01:59 AM

I've shocked myself on 120V more than once and I have a scar to prove it.  I still can't stand someone zapping me with static.  Sometimes you don't toughen up.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: HVAC  
Jump to: