Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Silent Storm 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silent Storm  (Read 2630 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: October 09, 2013, 04:17:46 AM

Silent Storm is one of my favourite turn-based tactical games ever. Coll characters, amazing 3D engine for the time, more than 70 weapons, cool characters and hyper-destructible everything, for real (you can tear down buildings by shooting them long enough). Gold Edition (patched, tuned) is up on Steam for about 8 moneys and if you are into Jagged Alliance, Laser Squad, X-Com, Laser Squad, or the most recent Arma Tactics (how is it by the way? Anyone tried it?) and the likes I think this is a must buy. I am actually hoping they will put up Hammer & Sickle too at some point, which was a mess but it had more roleplaying in it so I liked that one too.

This one includes the add-on Sentinels and has two different campaign for Axis and Allies.

This is a link to the reviews from 2004.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 06:20:08 AM

I liked SS until the panzerkleins ruined the game for me.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 07:16:05 AM

Oh, that I almost forgot. Panzerkleins were stupid.

Anyway the game hasn't really aged if you ask me, especially when compared to the most recent XCom which seemed to be all the rage.

EDIT:

If you are bothered by the limit in camera angles, you might want to do this. Helps a lot with line of sights.
Get inside the 'autoexec.cfg' here you will find these two lines.

mission camera limits 35 10 65 -1.35 -0.75
mission camera soft limits 35 18 50 -1.4 -0.7

change to......

mission camera limits 30 1 90 -1.8 -0.05
mission camera softlimits 30 2 88 -1.75 -0.05
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:15:10 AM by Falconeer »

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:49:51 AM

Didn't some enterprising soul mod the panzerkleins out of the game?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:53:13 AM

Yes

but:

Panzerkliens (PKs) are probably the most controversial (some would say hated) aspect of the Silent Storm games. This mod attempts to correct this by removing PKs from the game, and replacing them with regular bad guys. Please note - the game was designed with PKs in mind, so simply replacing PKs with regular soldiers (as this mod does) will affect game balance, making the game somewhat easier to beat. Sorry, no getting around that. Mod Effects: Specifically this mod replaces all PKs with regular terrorist soldiers that have various heavy weapons. (MGs, RPGs, Sniper Rifles, Grenades, etc.). All PK weapons have been removed from the Base Inventory and Chests. The BHLG (laser gun) has been removed as well.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Silent Storm  
Jump to: