Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: EVE: Valkyrie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EVE: Valkyrie  (Read 13751 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: September 12, 2013, 05:37:25 PM

Apparently this is a stand alone game. Shame its not integrated with Eve proper.

http://evevalkyrie.com/

EVE-VR: Fanfest Trailer

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:30:12 AM

Apparently this is a stand alone game. Shame its not integrated with Eve proper.

Don't be quite so quick to assume. I would be exceedingly unsurprised if they were integrated to some degree (especially if that degree boosted PLEX sales). If not at launch, then shortly thereafter.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:38:09 AM

So... WT in space?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:30:10 AM

So you basically get to fly fighters from a carrier? Not a bad idea actually.

So what happens when they integrate it with eve gameplay and this happens...

"You launch, Titan appears, your carrier is instantly vaporised, Titan leaves, you starve to death, game over thanks for playing press $5 to play again"

Now they do have all the art assets done from EVE so that will cut down on development time, but lets face it, CCP hasn't actually managed to make a decent game in its entire existence.

I see they had something about the vaporware World of Darkness game at fanfest as well (no I havent watched the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KmNQEiJUthc

Hic sunt dracones.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 08:33:19 AM

Don't be quite so quick to assume. I would be exceedingly unsurprised if they were integrated to some degree (especially if that degree boosted PLEX sales). If not at launch, then shortly thereafter.

The only way they could integrate this is if it does not matter at all.  Cannot be used as a sov mechanic in any meaningful way, cannot interact with normal ship battles.  Integration also kills the console possibility unless you think they can develop for multiple platforms at once.  
Yoru

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 09:06:51 AM

The only way they could integrate this is if it does not matter at all.  Cannot be used as a sov mechanic in any meaningful way, cannot interact with normal ship battles.  Integration also kills the console possibility unless you think they can develop for multiple platforms at once.  

They're using the Unity engine, so multiplatform development is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do something like pull your existing EVE character and portrait into the game and use that on the leaderboard/stats page.

Remember, the EVE-DUST integration was supposed to be deep and meaningful as well. And, well... look how that ended up.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:36:52 AM

Might be an off-line game. 
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 12:39:54 PM

Well its certainly not a "Take control of a fighter during an actual eve battle on the eve server" game. Single player it could work.

Hic sunt dracones.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 01:47:53 PM

It's just CCP trying to get their foot through the door of the Spacesim Renaissance that's taking off with the advent of the Occulus Rift and games such as Enemy Starfighter, Limit Theory, Elite: Dangerous and that Chris Roberts cashgrab.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 03:31:52 PM

They really should focus on making sure Eve survives. It looks like Test imploded and is gone? They would have lost a lot of casual but subscribed players over that. And the patch notes are pretty dull reading.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 03:51:06 PM

I don't see why you think Eve is going anywhere because the Reddit alliance crumbled. It's not like when an alliance name disappears off the map the players in the alliance mass unsub. People and whole corps just shuffle to better hunting grounds. I believe two large corporations joined GSF as we have a habit of assimilating the useful groups from the enemy entities we defeat. Also the CFC is allied with Fweddit, the Reddit Factional Warfare alliance that's now more relevant than TEST Alliance outside of who can get consecutively robbed the most.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 05:30:32 PM

They're using the Unity engine, so multiplatform development is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do something like pull your existing EVE character and portrait into the game and use that on the leaderboard/stats page.

Remember, the EVE-DUST integration was supposed to be deep and meaningful as well. And, well... look how that ended up.
CCP proved they could not develop WoD, Dust and Ambulation at the same time.
Then they proved they could not develop Dust and an Eve expansion at the same time.
They can barely do one thing at a time. 

Christ, the WoD paper game is just a husk under their watch and that stuff was EVERYWHERE.  Granted part of that was the poor reception of the relaunch that happened back in 2004 or whatever but the statement stands. 

That is why I say they could never pull off multiplatform.   They have money to throw at 50-60 people who produce?  What exactly? 

:ccp:
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 05:45:38 PM

I actually bought the NWOD vampire game last year to have a read through it and its not bad mechanically. No reason why they can't be pushing it to some degree of success.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 08:27:15 AM

nWoD is fine mechanically.  The real problem is the story they tell is uninspiring.  The original had a feel to it that pulled you into the game, the gothic punk setting was a huge hit.  I know times change, but surely the new system could have been made better than blandworld plus boring vampires.  They realized the mistake at some point and started releasing old material again, but fans either had all the books they needed or moved on.  CCP simply has not done enough to salvage the brand.  The product links on White Wolf page do not work.  None of them. 
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 01:28:08 PM

I don't think White Wolf doesn't sells physical books anymore.  It all goes through DriveThruRPG now, though I think there's a print-on-demand option.

Over and out.
Yoru

Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 08:32:19 AM

Might be an off-line game.  

It's currently 6v6 PVP twitch multiplayer.

CCP proved they could not develop WoD, Dust and Ambulation at the same time.
Then they proved they could not develop Dust and an Eve expansion at the same time.
They can barely do one thing at a time.  

Christ, the WoD paper game is just a husk under their watch and that stuff was EVERYWHERE.  Granted part of that was the poor reception of the relaunch that happened back in 2004 or whatever but the statement stands.  

That is why I say they could never pull off multiplatform.   They have money to throw at 50-60 people who produce?  What exactly?  

:ccp:

Yeah, that they simply cannot handle a split focus isn't something I'm going to ever challenge - WOD and Dust are/were disasters, and Ambulation caused massive unprecedented layoffs. What they need to do is run this as a third-party in-house team as opposed to some grandly-ambitious doomed-from-the-start megaproject.

WOD PnP has been sidelined because it just doesn't pull in much cash - certainly not enough to keep a studio open. Keep in mind White Wolf was in dire straits before the acquisition. In the modern age, physical book sales for PnP games are down and still falling. The transition to all-PDF PnP releases pretty much saved the project, but it's still basically just beer money.

nWoD is fine mechanically.  The real problem is the story they tell is uninspiring.  The original had a feel to it that pulled you into the game, the gothic punk setting was a huge hit.  I know times change, but surely the new system could have been made better than blandworld plus boring vampires.  They realized the mistake at some point and started releasing old material again, but fans either had all the books they needed or moved on.  CCP simply has not done enough to salvage the brand.  The product links on White Wolf page do not work.  None of them. 

Also keep in mind that most of the old WOD guys have gone off to other ventures, which is likely why the "voice" of the thing changed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:34:08 AM by Yoru »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 04:17:31 PM

I don't see why you think Eve is going anywhere because the Reddit alliance crumbled.

I'm pretty sure they will have lost subscribers. Some of what was Test is still in the game, probably the more hard-core, but a pretty substantial number will have evaporated because watching your alliance crumble and lose space and identity will make people question if it is worth continuing. And Test is interesting because they were probably the last big infusion of fresh blood I can remember seeing.

- Simond
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 04:23:49 PM

They really should focus on making sure Eve survives. It looks like Test imploded and is gone? They would have lost a lot of casual but subscribed players over that. And the patch notes are pretty dull reading.

Not really. The test line members from redditt are moving to other redditt corps, many of which are goon aligned.

The grr-goons elite PvP reject group within test will just gravitate to the next grr-goons group. The same guys have been throwing themselves against the walls of goondom in one alliance or another for years.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Junkogen
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 07:39:29 AM

Why doesn't CCP just focus on developing the online Eve content?  I think it would be pretty cool if they made Dust and Valkyrie added layers to Eve proper.  Although, maybe they're afraid they'll kill the golden goose, so to speak.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:52:35 PM by Junkogen »
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 12:31:29 PM

Ineptitude.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 03:21:59 AM

And perhaps over-confidence that there's no direct competition and the players will largely keep themselves amused.

... which I guess is just another form of ineptitude to go with their questionable design decisions and incredibly lethargic development pace.

- Simond
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: EVE: Valkyrie  
Jump to: