Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Everquest Dragons of Norrath Review 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everquest Dragons of Norrath Review  (Read 8584 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: February 28, 2005, 05:31:19 PM

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 06:32:54 PM

All I got out of that was she has been playing EQ for 7 years.  After that I kind of zoned out, I mean I kind of knew there had to be people still playing from the earliest of days but I never conciously wanted to admit to myself that someone like that really existed.

Oh and, holy shit! The Level cap is 70?  I can't even imagine the zombie like button mashing required to make that milestone.  The experience required for each new level might not actually be exponential but it seemed pretty damn close when I was playing.  I quit playing CoH shortly after I crunched some numbers and determined that I would need to kill something like 1500 white cons to level again.  The campers in EQ have got to be working into the 100's of thousands of mobs killed per level by now.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 07:32:21 PM

Oh and, holy shit! The Level cap is 70?  I can't even imagine the zombie like button mashing required to make that milestone.

Actually, "button mashing" for 70 levels would be an improvement. Fun even.

What we've been dealing with so far is even more lame.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 08:28:25 PM

This is true. EQ has pretty much been a cauldron of repetitive behaviour left and right for a few years at least. But ya know, I don't hate so much the last few expansions. Just that they've been making us level to 100000.

I've heard rumours the level cap will be 80 soon. But I am doubting it.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 09:06:51 PM

The only comment that comes to mind involves offal and the polishing thereof.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 09:36:17 PM

So how much time in hours are we talking to catass your way to the level cap of 70?

I think in DAOC I capped 50 at 30 days /played.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 05:53:47 AM

The increased level caps after 60 (65 and now 70) were accompanied by much higher exp zones. I found the grind from 60 to 63 (when I quit) much easier than the 55-58 by a long shot. I was 58 when PoP came out and the exp just flew by in the PoP zones. My play time just happened to be getting crowded out by life or I would have made 65 without much effort.

I have never played WoW.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 06:59:55 AM

I feel in retrospect - as illustrated by the conclusion of this review - that SOE has realized 5 years too late that more expansions should not have concerned themselves with advancing that horrible patchwork of zones, but instead advancing the gameplay itself.  This last patch, like a few that proceeded it, seems to take some tiny steps in that direction.

Sounds like they are introducing the email and auction system seen in WoW.  Sooner or later it has to occur to SOE that EQ, not EQ2, remains their beach head against WoW and that is probably where they should focus their expansion efforts.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 07:03:16 AM by jpark »

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 12:55:12 PM

At /played I currently have 78 days played. Since 2003. And I am 68th.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 01:15:23 PM

At /played I currently have 78 days played. Since 2003. And I am 68th.

Yeah, if that's any indication, it'll take 2,000 hours to reach cap. That's literally the same as working on a full time job, 8 hours a day, five days a week, with two weeks vacation. For one year.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 02:47:27 PM

I probably play these days about a half hour a night, maybe, if that and if I am not working. Since it takes about 3 kills in WoS to even get 1% of full, actual experience I'll reach 70 sometime in December of 2007.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 04:55:28 AM

I probably play these days about a half hour a night, maybe, if that and if I am not working. Since it takes about 3 kills in WoS to even get 1% of full, actual experience I'll reach 70 sometime in December of 2007.

By then, the level cap will be 90 and you'll be far behind the curve. Save yourself the trouble and quit now. ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 07:15:47 AM

I actually sat on the couch last night saying "I should just quit. Seriously. Why do I continue."

Then oh yeah..

Guild Wars isn't out yet for me to play.

Plus, when I am REALLY tired and can't sleep I log into Everquest and immediately get tired. So it's kind of like warm milk and cookies without the calories.

Ralphie

Email
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 07:17:01 AM

First-time poster here.

Anyone know what the rentention numbers would look like if they were measured by character level? I think the numbers are probably strong where the advancement curve is shallow, then does like an inverted bell curve as it gets steeper. If the max level is 70, I'd wager that the 60's are one of the stronger rentention groups, but that it drops off once people hit 70.

If that didn't make sense, maybe they push the level curve to keep people playing. I think the numbers would probably show that to be a solid retention strategy.

This is pure speculation, but it seemed to hold true back when I was playing.

--Ralphie
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 07:31:19 AM

We might be able to analyze those numbers if anyone gave accurate fucking subscriber numbers these days.

Ralphie

Email
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 07:53:26 AM

I don't think they'd release numbers in that format. OTOH, I'd bet my 401k that they are looking at those numbers internally.

--Ralphie
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 08:17:04 AM

We might be able to analyze those numbers if anyone gave accurate fucking subscriber numbers these days.

Bruce
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 09:18:27 AM

I don't think they'd release numbers in that format. OTOH, I'd bet my 401k that they are looking at those numbers internally.

--Ralphie

SoE doesn't release negativity. At least that is what they would like you to believe.

Oh, and your avatar totally rocks. That movie is my all-time favourite Christmas Movie. <3 Ralphie!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 10:07:15 AM

My favourite Christmas movie, too!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 11:09:31 AM

How do you even track retention in EQ?

Both of my accounts are still active and being played, though I haven't owned them for years. So technically, I've been 'retained' since launch, and I also count as someone who bought in with the Kunark expansion and has played since.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 11:19:09 AM

Both of my accounts are still active and being played, though I haven't owned them for years.

Heh, in that light I've made more off my EQ accounts than Sony has...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 12:50:19 PM

Sooner or later it has to occur to SOE that EQ, not EQ2, remains their beach head against WoW and that is probably where they should focus their expansion efforts.

That boat has already sailed.  People who've abandoned EQ for WoW or EQ2 simply aren't going to be coming back.  They'll continue to squeeze some money out of EQ, but really their time in the MMOG sun is over.  Unlike UO, EQ isn't unique.  It doesn't scratch any particular itch that can't be scratched elsewhere, and better.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 05:09:17 PM

Oh, and your avatar totally rocks. That movie is my all-time favourite Christmas Movie. <3 Ralphie!

I too concur that your avatar is, in fact, the Shiznitus.

...I need an avatar, but everything I think of is so...trite.  huh

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: March 02, 2005, 05:39:28 PM

Feel free to borrow one of mine.  Every time I think of something that I think might be a good avatar, I make a point of saving it for later.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 05:44:20 PM

What's up with Fox and Scully at the end there?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 05:48:11 PM

I thought at some point they might make good avatars?   tongue  They're at the end because the page is generated automatically and the images are alphabetical by filename (ph33r my Perl skills).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Everquest Dragons of Norrath Review  
Jump to: