Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:03:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: I don't suppose they ever un-derped the Paladins. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I don't suppose they ever un-derped the Paladins.  (Read 10079 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

on: August 08, 2013, 11:08:30 AM

I really liked my paladin back in Lich King.  Unlike my druid and the juggling cooldown dance and rage bars and combo points, all I had to do was mark a target, run up, and whale on it with a giant hammer until it died.  Nice, neat, simple.

So of course Blizzard fucked it up by making the class "more active" and shitting in the pool by taking away the very straightforward paladin powers and putting in a combo point system.  So long relaxing gameplay, hello cat druid 2.0.

I'm just curious about whether they ever undid that damage.  I'm expecting that they did not; whenever they implement a terrible system Blizzard seems especially loath to ever remove it, but I do still wonder.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:13:55 AM

No, they did not.  This is "The New Tanking Model."  All tanks self-heal, all tanks juggle CDs and take an "Active" role in play because "That's what ALL TANKS* were asking for." 

*(Except the ones that played paladins and complained, but we can ignore them. They're only 1/4 of the tank classes.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23:23 AM

Pretty sure he's talking about ret, but I don't think they changed that either.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:52:05 AM

Oh, yeah, I always forget about ret.  It's a silly spec.

But yes it's the same.  Manage holy-light, push buttons that light up. Do it in the order of most efficient priority.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:25:42 PM

So you're asking "Did they ever make paladins boring and tedious to play again?"

No. Why would they?  headache

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 02:13:53 PM

They're Paladins, don't like their playstyle, wait a week.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 02:40:30 PM

Pushing the buttons in the right priority order doesn't sound fun at all. A lua scripter could probably automate that in a day or so.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 02:44:56 PM

Of course they could.  That's why add-ons have been disabled from firing-off commands on their own now.

It's terribly tedious, but all the class designs are centered around "Know your rotation and priority order for max DPS" now.  With hidden triggers for "Specials" so you don't just go 1,2,3,4,5..   Sometimes your "insta cooldown" happens so it's 1,2,3,1,4,2,3,4,5

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:42:38 PM

So you're asking "Did they ever make paladins boring and tedious to play again?"

No. Why would they?  headache

I considered paladins to be a pleasant change of pace from the classes where I was keeping three plates spinning constantly.  The only thing I had to pay attention to was one proc and a couple of skill cooldowns.  It was like a vacation from my feral druid with exacting rotations, threat management, and arbitrary resource points.  Didn't have to give a damn about any of that.  Just had to keep up a buff, debuff the target, and go smash on it with a hammer.  It was simple fun.  So of course Blizzard had to go ruin it.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:27:40 AM

Pretty sure ret paladins are one of the simplest dps specs to play at the moment.  The entire fight comes down to basicly the following:

Keep up your + holy damage buff.
Is your 1 mintue dps talent / 5 minute major dps cooldown off cooldown? If yes, hit it.
Do you have max Holy Power?  If yes, use Templars Verdict, if no, see below.
Is Judgement / Crusader strike / Exorcism off cooldown?  If Yes, Hit it.

And that is pretty much it.

Sure, it gets a tiny bit more complicated if you want to minmax by knowing the EXACT priority list for your basic HP generators, and if you like to change glyphs on a fight by fight basis, but the above 4 lines pretty much completely sums up DPS as a ret paladin that will get you through anything short of cutting edge heroic content.

Current ret is MILES more fun then the Wrath Iteration where half your shit could proc at any moment, and if you didnt know the Priority backwards and forwards your dps could go into the toilet really easy.  Was always fun wacking on things and having nothing go off, only to suddenly watch your entire action bar light up like the fourth of July and having to try to figure which button to mash first.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:32:01 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Epeenymous
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 02:12:46 PM

Yeah, I remember when I used to play.  Ret pallys were way op.  It was ridiculous.  If they've been nerfed, it was necessary. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: I don't suppose they ever un-derped the Paladins.  
Jump to: