Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:17:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Huge battle going on ...or something 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Huge battle going on ...or something  (Read 11759 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: July 28, 2013, 04:13:33 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/28/4565558/eve-online-biggest-space-battle-in-history

Between three and four thousand pilots are set to do battle in one of the largest fights ever on Eve

I can't even imagine 4k ships doing battle. I don't pay any attention to Eve having played all of 3 days with the game... but this story caught my eye.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 04:22:09 PM

So how come Goonswarm and TEST aren't buddies any more?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 04:41:45 PM

Nobody else left worth fighting?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 04:42:57 PM

Long story, but basically Goonswarm needed the R64 moons in Fountain and the leadership of the two alliances had grown apart over the last year.

It's so laggy that I've been here for several hours and maybe fired ten shots.  But I think Goonswarm is winning?

edit: The reason a lot of people on TEST's side joined is presumably because of what Dave said.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 05:15:45 AM

I always assume the leaders of the big alliances make agreements with each other to break up and fight because without enemies the game gets very stale.  After the destruction of BoB there really isn't any "I really hate those guys" left and at this point everyone has been allied with practically everyone else at some point (save perhaps the amarr roleplayers). 

EvE politics is really fun to watch, if only playing the game was as much fun...
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:44:57 AM

Just play world of tanks. Its what anyoine with any sense does during a big battle anyway  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:48:42 AM

What people think is going on:

Whats really going on:

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 10:51:50 AM

Look mom! I'm the blue box on the left!!

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 10:57:45 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23489293

One of the largest video game space battles ever seen has taken place in the Eve Online game.

For five hours on 28 July about 4,000 players took part in the epic battle between two of the game's biggest alliances.

The two sides were fighting for control of resources within several of the game's solar systems.

Time was slowed down in the virtual universe to help servers cope with the huge numbers of players and ships.

The battle pitted spaceships belonging to CFC against those from the Test Alliance in a region of space known as 6VDT. It ended in victory for CFC.

Anyhow.

Goons won, TEST leadership has declared that they didn't want that region anyway, and are retreating to fortress Delve. It was all about the ~goodfights~ apparently.

No word yet on who exactly is moving in to Fountain or if we continue into Delve, it will take a week or two of shooting structures to flip the region.

Decision on whether to go further south is interesting.

Delve is a great region, but really you need friendly relations with Querious (decent region but more competently held) and Period Basis (terrible region that just sucks the life out of your logistics).

TEST have been trying to pick a fight for almost two years, noone has a clear idea why but basically the core corps got taken over by ~elite pvp~ rejects and others who define themselves in opposition to Goonswarm, until recently nobody cared because the North was busy swimming in technetium and TEST couldn't do anything except provide content for our newbie roaming gangs. But when CCP's moon nerf made fountain more valuable than Deklien, it gave the Clusterfuck the motivation to swat them down.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:01:56 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 11:06:41 AM

Nobody else left worth fighting?

This is true to such an extent that most recent talked about events are in fact Goons vs High Sec.

Finding ways to affect crowd behaviour in empire space is becoming more interesting than these wars, which can be fun, but often don't last.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 11:34:23 AM

I watched a twitch feed of this battle for way too long yesterday. Just when I was going to switch it off, TEST sent in a boatload of Prophecies which I watched get bombed to hell and back. It was actually kinda cool to watch this thing unfold as it was happening, but the time delay was grueling - understandable, but still painful.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 02:24:07 PM

TEST spent about 2 years building their own coalition(HBC) full of anyone who hated goons and PL.  Then the head of TEST said "OK time to kill goons" and Shadoo (of PL / eyebrows fame) said "err no thanks that'll be a grindy boring hell" & as TEST relied on PL for capital and fleet commander stuff the invasion never happened.  Shortly after HBC collapsed into drama.

Fast forward to the latest expansion Goon's main source of income is nerfed and R64 moons are the new hotness.  Also there's a moon redistribution and Fountain gets stuffed with R64s.  Goons say "Sure is a shame those guys who tried to kill us after we carried them for years are sitting on all that isk mountain, let's do something about that" So Fountain 2013 starts.

Also, I was there(tm)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:26:56 PM by Sparky »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 03:40:19 PM

After the destruction of BoB there really isn't any "I really hate those guys" left

A lot of people would tell you that Goonswarm is the new BoB.

After the fight was essentially won, I logged out to go get a beer with some coworkers.  When I came home, there was a fleet about to titan bridge back to our home system so I caught a ride with them.  Seconds after we bridged out, the titan was bumped out of the POS shields and killed.  So the CFC broke the back of TEST's resistance in Fountain and stupidly whelped a titan in the same day.  Good times for everybody!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 09:43:43 PM

Following up with the CFC titan loss yesterday, N3ST tried the same thing in the CFC's staging system about two hours ago.  It did not end as well for N3ST this time as the titan was saved,  the CFC got to doomsday about 20 or so dreadnoughts, and I got to debut my new Erebus.

E: Video of the fight from N3ST's perspective.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:03:38 PM by Phildo »
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 01:22:41 PM

I've clearly been away from forums too long because I was looking for a "Like" button to express my congratulations on the Erebus. Or maybe condolences if you ever care to fly anything else on that character.

Witty banter not included.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 09:24:09 AM

Grats on the Erebus man. Now, let me sell the account and I'll just take a simple 10% handling fee. WE ALL WIN! You can quit Eve happily, as you have won!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 12:53:06 AM

He needs to help me win Eve first :<
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Huge battle going on ...or something  
Jump to: