Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:12:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: 47 Ronin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 47 Ronin  (Read 15011 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 09:14:24 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 09:17:47 PM

Cool eyes.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 01:44:28 AM

It's Heterochromia, it's a mutation actually, rather a groovy mutation.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 02:14:38 AM

In her case, it's for the movie.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 09:11:30 AM

Honestly, I didnt even notice the eyes at first.  Had to get past the inverted cleavage.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #40 on: July 26, 2013, 09:33:36 AM

I see what you are doing... 

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 26, 2013, 11:27:17 AM

Your 'nerd' is showing.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 26, 2013, 11:59:36 AM

More than most realise.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #43 on: July 26, 2013, 12:03:54 PM

He's wearing a kilt right now.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #44 on: July 27, 2013, 12:30:58 AM

Keanu from Point Break is best Keanu.

Keanu being Keanu is the only Keanu.

Woah.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 07:57:22 AM

And no, this isn't Last Samurai. At least Keanu is part Asian.

Surely by being a vessel of higher-level thetans Tom Cruise is actually more Asian than any Asian?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 27, 2013, 09:08:49 AM

Uhh like, this just came out.  Anyone see?  Kind of a skewed reception on RT, critics hated it and viewers say it's pretty watchable.  Probably worth a matinee when there's nothing else to do?

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #47 on: December 27, 2013, 10:55:56 AM

Uhh like, this just came out.  Anyone see?  Kind of a skewed reception on RT, critics hated it and viewers say it's pretty watchable.  Probably worth a matinee when there's nothing else to do?

It should have been called Sucker Punch 2: No Stripper Clothes, or Girls. Not that the plot had anything to do with Sucker Punch, but it was an even deeper exercise in effects over substance. None of the actors were bad, there was just nothing there for them. If you're in the mood for a long CG demo reel without the aspirations of a Micheal Bay movie you're in luck.

It would have been better for them to have dropped the 47 Ronin name or to have used the fucking story.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 28, 2013, 10:47:35 PM

Just saw it.  Could've been good if they'd taken queues from Crouching Tiger, Hero, etc.  As such, the movie felt contrived and artistically flat, though adequately whimsical.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #49 on: December 29, 2013, 01:15:51 AM

That's not a skewed reception. There are very few movies that aren't fairly watchable to a 55-65% portion of the audience who leaves ratings on RT. Chances are, if you go to the theater and make the decision to watch 47 Ronin rather than (an actual good movie like) American Hustle or Wolf of Wall Street, you were probably in the market for exactly the kind of bland, mindless spectacle that 47 Ronin served up to you and thus aren't likely to leave too disappointed.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 31, 2013, 04:06:28 AM

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out that films about robots or ninjas fighting don't need hipster contrivances such as plot and characters.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #51 on: December 31, 2013, 06:39:07 AM

So why isn't this a summer movie?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 31, 2013, 06:42:39 AM

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out that films about robots or ninjas fighting don't need hipster contrivances such as plot and characters.

Barring those things they do however need lots of action.  By all accounts this film has none of the above.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 31, 2013, 09:46:08 AM

Barring those things they do however need lots of action.  By all accounts this film has none of the above.

Hence the contrivance I spoke of.  There is a good amount of sporadic action, but it lacks gravitas.  The ending also felt underproduced;  "7 Samurai" had more action in that regard.
If we're gonna compare to Pacific Rim, PR didnt pull a lot of punches really.  GdT wants fanciful sci-fi, he gives it.  This movie however felt like the producers went "meh, we dont need to make that much of a statement."  When in fact they did.

All they really had to do was a live-action 'anime' version of the story and it would've been well-received minimally in Japan, but they failed at that likely trying to appease Western audiences... who in turn notice the fact the movie feels way too half-n-half.

Keanu?  Didn't lose enough weight for the film and was made to look much too old.  As much of a badass as he was, I didn't feel like he came across as a true Tengu assassin.  Contrast him with someone like Rain from 'Ninja Assassin' and you see what I mean.  Really though, there's no excuse for him not being in proper shape for the film.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 31, 2013, 01:28:58 PM

I enjoyed it pretty much the movie I expected it to be effects were good and it was pretty well done overall.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: 47 Ronin  
Jump to: