Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:34:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 284274 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1050 on: February 11, 2016, 08:01:52 PM

Yeah you're probably right.  Heartbreak
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1051 on: February 12, 2016, 07:22:39 AM

If this was a Batman movie, maybe, because this trailer at least attempts the right 'Batman' notes.  But pay for this Snyder shite ?  No thanks.

I think this may be part of the problem. It IS a Batman movie, or at least that what it's looked like to me. It isn't a sequel to Man of Steel which probably SHOULD have come first. Khaldun got it right in that it wants to do all the cool shit that Dark Knight Returns did with the two characters, without any of the history that makes all that cool shit make sense. It hasn't EARNED the animosity between the two. It's WB's and Snyder's very hamfisted way to do a universe movie without really having done shit to build the universe.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: February 12, 2016, 10:22:35 AM

If this was a Batman movie, maybe, because this trailer at least attempts the right 'Batman' notes.  But pay for this Snyder shite ?  No thanks.

I think this may be part of the problem. It IS a Batman movie, or at least that what it's looked like to me. It isn't a sequel to Man of Steel which probably SHOULD have come first. Khaldun got it right in that it wants to do all the cool shit that Dark Knight Returns did with the two characters, without any of the history that makes all that cool shit make sense. It hasn't EARNED the animosity between the two. It's WB's and Snyder's very hamfisted way to do a universe movie without really having done shit to build the universe.

In fairness, Man of Steel was a shitty Superman movie too. So regardless of what happened, we're getting a shitty Superman movie. This may just be a good Batman movie with some annoying Superman stuff in it. Not that it will make the movie salvageable, my main take-away from this trailer was "now I went to see a solo Batfleck movie that isn't hobbled by DC utterly failing to understand Superman."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: February 12, 2016, 11:18:58 AM

Yeah, actually I wouldn't mind seeing that too.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: February 12, 2016, 11:57:45 AM

It seems wrong for us to be in 100% agreement in a lengthy thread, doesn't it?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1055 on: February 12, 2016, 01:59:02 PM

Everyone should be in 100% agreement about how shitty this movie will probably be.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: February 12, 2016, 07:08:11 PM

I don't know if that's really fair - the animosity between Batman and Superman in TDKR is established mostly via a single expository monologue. I also think it's fair to lean on public knowledge. Even if these movies are not direct sequels to previous movies or cartoons or whatever, people still have a good general idea of who superman and batman are. The idea that they have different, potentially at-odds ways of doing things exists in the public consciousness.

Edit: I suspect the movie will be bad, but Batman being at odds with Superman doesn't seem out of left field to me. Just the explanation in the trailers makes sense. It's everything else in the trailers that looks bad to me, particularly Wonder Woman and Luthor.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:10:26 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: February 12, 2016, 07:37:44 PM

Everyone should be in 100% agreement about how shitty this movie will probably be.
Eh. 90% of the viewing audience is going in blind.

The other 10% are us, who will pay for it, even if we don't admit it  awesome, for real

It's a good grimdark to align with the season finales on CW, months before the popcorn months begin.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1058 on: February 23, 2016, 10:02:50 AM

Is aquaman still even in this? last i heard they hired Karl Drogo to play the part but he's in none of the trailers or interviews.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1059 on: February 23, 2016, 10:43:50 AM

Is aquaman still even in this? last i heard they hired Karl Drogo to play the part but he's in none of the trailers or interviews.

I assume at the end he'll pop in to sell the next movie.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: February 23, 2016, 05:05:45 PM

Speaking of which, I assume you've all seen the twitter post from the director who has essentially started preproduction (or maybe even filming?) of the Justice League movie. They're sure banking on this movie being successful.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: February 23, 2016, 05:33:42 PM

Zach Snyder looks rough in that picture too.  I think the whole thing is stressing him out.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: February 24, 2016, 06:50:25 AM

Complete train wreck in the comics and movies. They need to rebuild their brand with a comprehensive tv universe. Swerve into what is working.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1063 on: February 24, 2016, 08:48:48 AM

Speaking of which, I assume you've all seen the twitter post from the director who has essentially started preproduction (or maybe even filming?) of the Justice League movie. They're sure banking on this movie being successful.

It is not unreasonable of them to do that.

All the superman films have been a financial success and this one probably isn't much worse than Man of Steel.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1064 on: February 24, 2016, 08:58:57 AM

Recent projections are showing it not likely to be a huge success, but profitable.  The question will be whether they look at it and feel like it is heading their franchises towards an Amazing Spider-man downward spiral or if they feel like they are on an Iron Man upswing. 

The comics are dying based upon recent sales numbers.  It is almost like constantly restarting your

It is almost like constantly restating your

Constantly restarting your stuff gets annoying.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: February 24, 2016, 09:02:56 AM

Well played.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: February 24, 2016, 10:10:30 AM

Speak for yourself. Thomas and Martha Wayne getting shot never gets old!

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: March 22, 2016, 06:33:44 PM

Ouch, this is sitting at 40% on RottenTomatoes atm. 
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1068 on: March 22, 2016, 06:46:36 PM

So you're saying I'd be better off just seeing Deadpool again?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: March 22, 2016, 06:53:14 PM

So you're saying I'd be better off just seeing Deadpool again?

I would say yes even if it was getting decent reviews.   awesome, for real
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: March 23, 2016, 12:50:34 AM

I enjoyed this review more than I suspect I will enjoy the film.

It’s a Men’s Rights loon’s dream of meathead orthodoxy, and leaves you wondering if Mad Max: Fury Road and Star Wars: The Force Awakens actually happened. Imagine Affleck, standing shirtless in a dungeon, repeatedly thumping a bus tyre with a sledgehammer. Got it? Good: that’s not just what the film feels like, it’s a real scene from it. And that’s all you need to know.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice/review/

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: March 23, 2016, 01:55:40 AM

So will this be Man of Steel again where you care very little for the actual details of your titular heroes, the side characters feel grossly irrelevant at best movie breaking at worse.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: March 23, 2016, 02:32:13 AM

That review suggests we were ALL right.

Good. Skip.

EDIT :  Actually, you know what's worse ?  The guy reviewing it described Man of Steel as 'superb'.  It wasn't superb.  It was a shitshow of awful.

Which means this guy who's panning it is a die hard fanboi.  Which means, oh my God, it's terribad.

Skiiiiiiip.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: March 23, 2016, 06:43:23 AM

... Gadot isn't called on to do much but slink.

I'd watch a movie of Gal Gadot slinking around at high society parties with Bruce Wayne.
If they can get someone besides Snyder to direct that sequel.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: March 23, 2016, 07:20:18 AM

While Mos was generally bad, it did have some non-story, non-acting elements that impressed me. The spectacle of it impressed me. It sounds like that may be true again here. The question for me is: is there enough spectacle stuff to warrant a movie ticket. So far, the ads say no.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: March 23, 2016, 08:18:54 AM

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/batman-v-superman-review

"Ben Affleck is fine as Batman, once you get past the fact that he’s Ben Affleck in a waistcoat. The problem is the film’s vision of Batman. Fans of the same old beats will be thrilled to see the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents. Again. And young Bruce falling into a bat cave. Again. For fans of new beats, there’s the fact that this Batman is apparently some sort of demented Oracle, enduring endless, detailed visions of possible pasts and futures complete with fully choreographed fights. Oh, and this Batman repeatedly shatters his 'one rule', and kills willy-nilly while demonstrating a disturbing taste for sadistic mutilation. The excuse is that Superman has driven him to the edge – and yet this guy is still supposed to be our hero. There’s a difference between an antihero and a full-on villain, but this film never figures out where the boundaries lie."

"Meanwhile it's hard to imagine what Superman did to DC or Warners to earn the characterisation he has been saddled with here. He's never been further from a Big Blue Boy Scout; this guy doesn't seem to have a straightforwardly decent bone in his body and barely cracks a smile. Goofy and loveable Clark Kent is almost entirely absent, and when he is onscreen he’s every bit as stern and unforgiving as this Superman."

"As for the 'Dawn Of Justice' bit, Wonder Woman is the only member of the Justice League who gets any real screentime, and Gal Gadot is fine with the little she has – particularly in her very good fight scenes, which follow the moment when Batman makes the dumbest strategic decision in history. But the wider problem is that this film doesn’t make you want a Justice League film. It just wears you down and wears you out, making you wonder if there was ever such a thing as a hero anyway. Let them pummel each other if they must; just leave us out of it."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1076 on: March 23, 2016, 08:30:46 AM

In the Man of Steel universe Superman is a killer so it makes sense that adding Batman to that universe makes him one too.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: March 23, 2016, 11:36:04 AM

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/batman-v-superman-is-v-bad-1766555948

"Lex Luthor. Oof, Lex Luthor is a drag. Jesse Eisenberg preens and over-enunciates and waxes crazily pedantic, like no one told him he’s not in a Sorkin movie anymore; his method of conveying Brilliant Insanity is to make as though he just ingested touring funk band quantities of cocaine. It is discomfiting and unpleasant."

"2. The plot. Yo, this movie makes no sense. Dream sequences and non sequiturs and red herrings and where-the-hell-are-we-now mini-excursions and false starts out the ass. There’s a suicide bombing and multiple government hearings and a Fight Club and an innocent civilian who gets Lieutenant Dan’d and one of those posh, uncomfortable Batman-movie parties where Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne sass each other."

"Yes, Zack Snyder, who is determined to 'THIS! IS! SPARTA!' every significant historical event in human history, and louse up every beloved comic-book enterprise besides. As with Man of Steel and The Watchmen (no ludicrous sex scenes in this jam, at least), this movie is relentlessly grim and gritty and resolutely No Fun Whatsoever, every line intoned with Desdemonian gravitas, every falling bullet casing memorialized with its own slow-mo funereal aria."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: March 23, 2016, 12:02:42 PM

I love this.  MORE.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: March 23, 2016, 12:26:23 PM

Eventually they do, and a great many innocent walls and floors and ceilings and bathroom sinks are harmed as composer Hans Zimmer more or less gives up and just sits on the Inception button

This earned my poor monitor some undeserved coffee.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: March 23, 2016, 12:57:38 PM

So far every single review I've read--even the few slightly positive ones--mention that it takes a shockingly long time before Batman and Superman actually trade blows, and that there is something unbelievably stupid about the way the plot triggers the battle. I have to admit that almost makes me curious.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: March 23, 2016, 01:06:01 PM

I find it amazing that DC is just this bad at making movies.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1082 on: March 23, 2016, 01:10:23 PM

Didn't the title alone sort of tip everyone off that this would be terrible?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: March 23, 2016, 01:18:34 PM

Well given the presales its going to be successful its just a matter of how big a score they run up.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1084 on: March 23, 2016, 01:18:36 PM

All the negative reviews I've read basically confirm that everything I thought about this movie is true. I'll still give them my money (though not for 3D because FUCK 3D) but I don't expect much from it.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: