Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:48:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 284685 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: January 31, 2014, 12:59:45 PM

He brooded a fair bit in Daredevil.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #491 on: January 31, 2014, 01:03:49 PM

Eisenberg can play a smart dickbag well... but I just think he looks WAY TOO YOUNG to be a convincing Lex Luthor. I don't get this casting at all. Irons is fine as Alfred.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: January 31, 2014, 01:07:53 PM

He brooded a fair bit in Daredevil.

He tried to, but I wouldn't say it was effective.

Over and out.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #493 on: January 31, 2014, 01:16:34 PM

You guys do realize that you are the neckbeards right? The guy has plenty of chops for a super hero movie unless all of you watched Now You See Me and Double whatever those are and he was horrible in them?

Its been 4 years since Social Network and 5 since Zombieland, which are the films I saw and remember him from and yes he was still pretty kid-like but I don't see any reason to worry about that here. Things like makeup, wardrobe and you know the acting and dialogue can change our perception of his age just fine I'd think.

Seems like wondering about what the guy who wrote Argo will do when he re-drafts the script would be way more productive and will make a much bigger difference in how this movie turns out.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: January 31, 2014, 01:24:06 PM

Yes, he was horrible in them.  He'll be horrible in this.  He's not a good actor.  At all, as far as I've seen.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: January 31, 2014, 01:34:37 PM

I should point out that I'm not hating on it. I like Eisenberg and he can play a dickhead pretty well. It was just so left field. The Jeremy Irons casting is the weirder one for me, honestly. Just doesn't seem to quite fit.

beer geek.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #496 on: January 31, 2014, 01:42:15 PM

Jeremy Irons was great in the Dungeons & Dragons movie.  Just saying.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: January 31, 2014, 01:46:06 PM

I confused Jeremy Irons with Michael Ironside. Now THAT would have been a interesting Alfred  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #498 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47:20 PM

Alfred, reimagined as an ex-Navy SEAL?

Woodhouse?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: January 31, 2014, 02:35:46 PM

I love Jeremy Irons but for fucks sake you might as well get Alan Rickman to play Alfred if you are going that direction.  It's just, weird.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: January 31, 2014, 02:36:31 PM

Though, I would pay double a ticket fee to hear Rickman say "Master Bruce."

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: January 31, 2014, 03:09:58 PM

Plot twist: Alfred now despises Wayne.

beer geek.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #502 on: January 31, 2014, 03:11:56 PM

Are we going to get Reversal of Fortune Jeremy Irons, or D&D the Movie Jeremy Irons?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: January 31, 2014, 03:15:10 PM

I hope it's The Borgias Jeremy Irons and it turns out he's really Batman and Bruce Wayne is just a front.   why so serious?

Over and out.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: January 31, 2014, 03:17:51 PM

Lolita. (Watch out Carrie Kelley!)

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #505 on: January 31, 2014, 05:06:22 PM

I can see Irons as an Alfred. Not the Michael Caine version, but more of the dry sarcastic character - like IM's Jarvis.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #506 on: January 31, 2014, 05:07:26 PM

I can see Irons as an Alfred. Not the Michael Caine version, but more of the dry sarcastic character - like IM's Jarvis.

Congrats, you just won, "what was the pitch line to the casting director."  Your noprize is in the mail.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Wizgar
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: January 31, 2014, 10:23:44 PM

I'm over the neckbeard bellyaching and the post-neckbeard apologism. This movie just sounds dumb from top to bottom.

I'm not really down with their casting choices, but whatever, actors can act, they could pull it off. My concern is that the movie is going to be two hours of Batman holding Superman down and making him drink pee, so to speak, because DC basically hates Superman and Batman has a legion of wanking fans to please.

Batman's superpower is having writers who obsessively suck his dick, and ironically it's made him every bit as dull as anyone ever claimed Superman was. Nobody can ever beat Batman because he's the smartest guy in the universe and always has exactly what he needs, blah blah blah, prep time, blah blah.

It's no longer interesting having him defeat or hold his own guys who have superpowers and are stronger than him on paper, because he's now just the writer's pet who always does that. Yeah, yeah, of course he has secret plans that would let him take down anyone/everyone else in the justice league, of course he's got kryptonite cufflinks or whatever doodad he needs right at hand whenever he needs it. It's Batman, yawn, wake me up when the writer of whatever I'm watching/reading finishes fapping.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:28:59 PM by Wizgar »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #508 on: February 01, 2014, 09:52:02 PM

Did that actually just happen?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: February 01, 2014, 09:54:21 PM

No, it happened a day ago.

beer geek.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: February 01, 2014, 11:28:12 PM

I agree that some writers (and fans) have gone a little crazy with Batman just being so fucking crafty that he can do anything. I mean, it was stupid even in Dark Knight returns - 60 year old Batman defeats Superman with the power of electricity. Lol.

In the Justice League cartoon Batman is able to dodge Darkseid's eye lasers and Darkseid is like "nobody has dodged my lasers before!" Really? He's fought a guy who can travel at mach speed, a bunch of godlike interstellar beings, and fucking Batman is the first to dodge his lasers?

Batman does sometimes appear to have a superpower that is "I'm fucking Batman" that translates into "I can do anything." Which does somewhat defeat the purpose of a non-super-powered character.

This is the problem the Justice League as always run into. You have a guy like Superman who is basically a god, fighting next to a woman with wings and a mace. It works if Superman is a foil for those characters (which works best in small doses / limited storylines), but more often than not either the other characters somehow step up via the power of positive thinking, or highly contrived storylines make Superman irrelevant / on vacation.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: February 02, 2014, 06:31:39 AM

I mean, it was stupid even in Dark Knight returns - 60 year old Batman defeats Superman with the power of electricity. Lol.

You're really missing some nuance there.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: February 02, 2014, 06:32:37 AM

No batman movie has ever made batman crafty like they do in the comics, I'm not sure that's a valid concern for this one either, considering the director.  

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: February 02, 2014, 07:23:40 AM

Batman got his shit tore up in the last film, so it isn't like he was invincible.  The whole trilogy was pretty consistent on that point.

This is still the dumbest idea ever.  Just because they exist in the same universe in the comics (which only the neckbeards care about), doesn't mean they should on the big screen.  Throwing in WW doesn't help matters, even less so when she doesn't even match what we think WW should look like in any way.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: February 02, 2014, 08:17:47 AM

Batman got his shit tore up in the last film, so it isn't like he was invincible.  The whole trilogy was pretty consistent on that point.

This is still the dumbest idea ever.  Just because they exist in the same universe in the comics (which only the neckbeards care about), doesn't mean they should on the big screen.  Throwing in WW doesn't help matters, even less so when she doesn't even match what we think WW should look like in any way.

But but....marvel did it and made a shitton of money, what could go wrong?!

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: February 02, 2014, 08:34:11 AM

Man you guys act like movies are suddenly parallels to real life. Their more comic books now than ever. So let me get this straight batman finds the joker by using a machine that turns every cellphone into a sonar device (yeah I glad they glossed over explaining how that worked) and than uses this machine to find the joker with pinpoint accuracy despite no one in that building holding a cellphone.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: February 02, 2014, 01:21:53 PM

I mean, it was stupid even in Dark Knight returns - 60 year old Batman defeats Superman with the power of electricity. Lol.
You're really missing some nuance there.

I know there was more to it than that but it was still a very apparent case of "hero X won because it was hero X's book."

Quote from: Lakov
But but....marvel did it and made a shitton of money, what could go wrong?!

The Avengers group of Iron Man, Hulk and Thor works pretty well together. But even in the Avengers they clearly had some trouble figuring out relevant stuff for Hawkeye, Black Widow and Captain America to do. Hawkeye spent a lot of the movie brainwashed, Black Widow's big scene was a conversation with Loki, and in every fight Captain America did a highly contrived gymnastics routine. The fate of the world rests on him swinging around on an I-Beam or some shit.

I don't envy the people trying to write a workable Superman / Batman / WW movie. You have to introduce WW entirely, introduce a new Batman, explain why they are together, and come up with some scenario where they are all useful.

I like the approach the JL animated series took with a guy like The Question - it doesn't make a lot of sense for him to be throwing punches next to Superman, so instead he does investigative work and takes on small scale quirky cases. But I don't think you can do that in Batman / WW / Superman movie.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: February 02, 2014, 02:22:37 PM

If they have any sense, JL members who aren't Batman or Superman will be a cameo, save them havng to explain anything.

That said, if they had any sense, they'd have Irons play Batman, Affleck direct the thing, and Snyder can play Alfred or something. Or he can just fuck off.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: February 03, 2014, 07:29:29 AM

I've been trying to figure out what the plot of this movie will be. I think the most likely arc will be:

Batman figures out who Superman really is and goes to Metropolis the pile of rubble that was Metropolis to introduce himself. Hopefully Batman says "oh, by the way numbskull, if you have to fight another super powered bad guy, do it outside of city limits mmkay?"

Luthor decides that Superman is a menace, both to his criminal enterprises and to the safety of Metropolis and poisons him with Kryptonite, depowering him.

Batman and a depowered Superman have to work together to take down Luther. Before this they have a knockdown drag out fight because Snyder saw it in the Avengers and wants his movie to make $1 billion dollars. Wonder Woman stops them, then poses to look sexy before leaving to deal with another issue.

Batman and Superman fight Lex Luthor. Depowered Superman would have learned how fragile humans really are due to being depowered but since it is a Zach Snyder movie he instead kicks Luthor off of a high rise while screaming "This! Is! Metropolis!", gets his powers back, and circles the globe, not to revive Lois Lane, but as a victory lap.

End.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #519 on: February 03, 2014, 09:11:30 AM

and in every fight Captain America did a highly contrived gymnastics routine. The fate of the world rests on him swinging around on an I-Beam or some shit.

Facepalm

Nuance really isn't your thing, is it?

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: February 03, 2014, 07:29:17 PM

Nuance really isn't your thing, is it?

Are we really pretending that Captain America doing gymnastics so that he can pull a lever to stop a flying aircraft carrier from falling out of the sky is "nuance?"

They needed to give Captain America something to do so they came up with contrived scenarios that played to his strengths. It's like having a guy on the team that can shrink and on every mission there's a tiny doorway that only he can enter. Nuance!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:34:09 PM by Margalis »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: February 03, 2014, 11:51:18 PM

I have to kinda agree.  I really loved Avengers, but CA had to be pretty much shoe-horned into it.  I actually thought they did a better job getting Hawkeye and Black Widow to make sense (though to be fair, the only thing you have to do to get Scarlett to fit into any movie is to have her stare at the camera), because they are clearly meant to be second tier superheroes.  Captain America is a first stringer, with second stringer abilities and plenty of contrived parkour being shown.    He also came across as an unlikable douche, so even the leadership angle didn't work.

I think he comes off better in the stand alone movie.  I saw Avengers first, and didn't like him at all.  The Captain America movie helped redeem things a bit, because his powers make more sense in that context.

Anyway, as soon as you put Batman together with Superman, you end up with the same problem.  Batman is another first stringer with second stringer abilities (shit, technically it is probably third stringer since he doesn't actually have anything superhuman).  The only way this works on any level is to somehow reduce Supes, pretty much as Margalis describes.  And the only reasonable way to do that is kryponite, and fuck that in the ear already.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: February 04, 2014, 02:16:14 AM

I have to kinda agree.  I really loved Avengers, but CA had to be pretty much shoe-horned into it.  I actually thought they did a better job getting Hawkeye and Black Widow to make sense (though to be fair, the only thing you have to do to get Scarlett to fit into any movie is to have her stare at the camera), because they are clearly meant to be second tier superheroes.  Captain America is a first stringer, with second stringer abilities and plenty of contrived parkour being shown.    He also came across as an unlikable douche, so even the leadership angle didn't work.

Agree. They did a pretty good job with Hawkeye and Black Widow, all things considered.

With Cap his powers didn't lend themselves to much, and him being an excellent leader didn't come across well either. They tried - in the end battle he sort of lays out their plan, but it's pretty lame. In the comics he often provides the human glue that keeps the team together, but that's hard to make work in a movie.

Haem, you should really watch it again (or not) and look at how much of Cap's action is swinging around on stuff.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: February 04, 2014, 02:50:09 AM

He also came across as an unlikable douche, so even the leadership angle didn't work.

They ALL came across as unlikeable douches except for Banner who was likeable because he literally had no other option beyond turning into a giant rage monster.

That was kind of the point of Avengers Assemble.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: February 04, 2014, 05:45:20 AM

Ironman is a dick, but an extremely charismatic, sarcastic and funny one as far as the audience is concerned.  Everyone wants to be, or be friends with, Tony Stark.

Thor is a dick, but has the big ole hunky Adonis type charisma that human beings are automatically drawn to, whether we like it or not.

Hulk is a dick, but in a totally awesome and sometimes hilarious way.  We also feel bad for him, so there's that.

Cap is a dick....and yep, pretty much just a dick.  He needs some kind of schtick, something that we can respond to positively.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: