Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:00:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Bridge (The American one) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bridge (The American one)  (Read 2889 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: July 19, 2013, 07:46:00 PM

Absofuckinglutely bizarre, but so far incredibly watchable. The original idea comes from a joint Swedish/Danish production.

A body is found on the Bridge of Americas between Juarez, Mexico and El Paso, Texas. Or should I say, two halves of two bodies. The top half belonging to a white Texas politician and the bottom half a Mexican prostitute.

Responding to the scene is an El Paso homicide detective with Aspergers and a Mexican detective with a somewhat shady past.

Pretty good two episodes in. I'm interested in seeing how it differs from the European version.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:02:05 PM

I like it, too.  It's different and that doesn't seem to happen much on television anymore.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:06:13 AM

"Hola amigo!" "Howdy partner!" was fucking great.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:33:33 AM

I haven't watched the second episode but the main American character in the first one just annoys the piss out of me. I think she's supposed to, but she feels weird for the sake of having a weird, House-y genius character involved.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:21:16 PM

She's the one with Aspergers.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 01:27:31 PM

I haven't watched the second episode but the main American character in the first one just annoys the piss out of me. I think she's supposed to, but she feels weird for the sake of having a weird, House-y genius character involved.

Like Signe said, she's got the 'Bergers.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:57 PM

Is that what it is? Because they are taking great pains to make her insanely awkward. It's almost like they are trying too hard. But the rest of the show is really good.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 01:46:16 AM

They aren't doing a great job on portraying the Aspergers.

Bob in Regenesis was a good portrayal of it, imo.

Still, enjoying the show.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 02:18:29 PM

I disagree.  I've known a bunch of people with Aspergers and while there is a large field of variations between them, the lady pulls of a competent functional who is overcompensating for known issues.  Obviously it's not perfect, and they need to hedge for a script, but it's pretty good. 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 02:23:23 PM

I disagree.  I've known a bunch of people with Aspergers and while there is a large field of variations between them, the lady pulls of a competent functional who is overcompensating for known issues.  Obviously it's not perfect, and they need to hedge for a script, but it's pretty good. 

Fair enough, I guess. I don't know much about Aspergers, beyond dealing with a couple people with it (who acted more like Bob from Regenesis than the female lead from this show). I think my biggest issue with the female lead isn't the script but a bit of her tone and body language just doesn't bring Aspergers to mind for me.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 11:25:54 PM

There's a wide variation (that's why it's now called Autistic Spectrum Disorder), from people who just have an unusual degree of social anxiety and a naturally flat affect that they can disguise to some degree, through people who are one step short of disappearing into their own navel.

IT in general, and the games business especially, are filled with people somewhere on that spectrum.  Even the more normal people in games are used to the pace and social queues of a culture dominated by people on the spectrum, it can be jarring to jump between them.

One of the funniest things to watch is when someone uses viral marketing (and free drinks) to draw a bunch of college girls to an industry party filled with actual developers (rather than suits and marketing types).  Poor girls can't figure out what the hell is going on.  They're dressed like they just stepped off the pole, they're surrounded by guys, and *nobody* is hitting on them.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 06:20:15 PM

7 episodes in, and I think the show is amazing. But boy does it keep surprising me left and right.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 05:48:18 PM

This show is incredible.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 11:32:51 AM

Did not see that coming. Like, at all.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:54:08 PM

But it makes sense.

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 02:28:36 PM

Anyone know how this compares to the original?  I saw the original and liked it, but tried the US pilot and was just ugh on the main character.  She seems completely unconvincing as a detective.  And I don't want to watch this if I already know how it's all going to end, so I'm curious if they pulled a major rewrite a la The Killing.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Bridge (The American one)  
Jump to: