Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Phantasy Star Online 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online 2  (Read 4559 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

on: July 19, 2013, 10:50:56 AM

I couldn't find a thread for this.

Still no movement on a US release. The last word on it a few days ago was "we'll let you know when we have anything" ie "oh god everything is broken why isn't this out yet".

The game has a pretty healthy English-speaking playerbase though, in part to the plethora of English translations that are available for the game. A friend of mine suggested we play and I dipped my toe into untangling the translation work.

This game is quite fun - seems like an honest update of the original PSO in a good way. I've only played a little bit, and while there are still large chunks of server-side text that are not translatable, 95% of menu options and most of the story missions have been translated at this point, and there is healthy information online on where to get started. (here is a link to the guide list I used)

Also, the character creation tool is... pretty great.

EDIT: If you end up playing, make a dude/lady on ship 2 (that's where a lot of english players are) - and if you're feeling generous, when it pops up asking you for a number when you make a new character, plug in 10312454 and we both get cool badges and items and stuff

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:10:29 PM by Nonentity »

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:03:26 AM

I didn't play the actual PSO but I played (or tried to) some other Phantasy Star games.  What would make this one not a raw pile of puke?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:19:08 AM

Seems like it's pretty action-oriented for an MMO. It's been around live for over a year in Japan, and they've added classes and subclassing and all sorts of other fun things.

The core gameplay loop is similar to the original PSO (not as much PSU), but brought up to modern standards with things like a proper hotbar, double-tap dodging, while still keeping the whole 'keep this rhythm to pull of your combo' core of the original PSO.

It also feels like there is more modern class design, having builders and spenders and a skill tree. You're still going to a quest counter, though, accepting quests and heading out on missions. They have added all sorts of stuff like personal housing, team housing, and a billion other systems which I have not even started to poke it.

There's a lot here.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:39:33 PM

It's a diku.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 09:46:47 AM

It's a diku.

It's more Diablo than diku, tbh. There's no holy trinity.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 06:29:21 PM

Is there any single player/local play mode?  I liked PSO, but I can't get behind an online only release after how quick they've been to kill the servers for every previous PSO release.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 07:34:41 PM

WTF
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:31:50 AM

Is there any single player/local play mode?  I liked PSO, but I can't get behind an online only release after how quick they've been to kill the servers for every previous PSO release.

No, it's strictly an MMO. Judging by how much money they're making in Japan with it, though, it should have a healthy life. They just released Episode 2 with some new tutorial stuff and a new class, and more content.

I like this enough that I am jumping through some pretty stupid hoops to get a Japanese Webmoney account and plugging money into it with a prepaid card to buy spacebucks.

The one downside is basically any kind of player-to-player transactions you can't do without a premium account, or lucking out and getting a 3 day pass on the free scratch cards to open up your shop.

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 06:09:27 PM

Phantasy Star Online 2 - Kuna Concert "永遠のencore"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSIh-djuHk
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 09:16:44 PM

wut

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 06:35:07 PM

Phantasy Star Online 2 - Kuna Concert "永遠のencore"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSIh-djuHk

Anyone else notice that there was a slight delay between what was happening 'live on stage' and the 'broadcast feed' on the video monitor? Wonder if that was intentional or just a result of the game engine. Neat touch if it was intentional.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 11:49:13 PM

Ok, I figured I'd give this a shot. I like the Phantasy Star asthetics, though I found the first PSO rather dull.
I got past the japanese captcha to set up my account, and goddamn is this a long download. I'm going to have to let it run overnight.

Ok fuck. I didn't attach PSO2 to my Sega account, I went in to try and do that, and I have to solve another japanese captcha to log in! I'm giving up for tonight and going to bed.  swamp poop
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:05:26 AM by Ratman_tf »

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:34 AM

Yeah, the whole japanese captcha thing is the worst. I'm sadly getting better at it.

That being said, I'm still surprised often at the amount of content they've put in this game. The original PSO was always lagging behind the Japanese version in added content, but being able to sidestep around that by playing the actual JP version is nice - there's tons to do.

I was sad, though, when I realized that a cool item I wanted required me to have played a Japanese Sega mech combat arcade game with my Sega ID.

EDIT: added my player ID to the initial post if you wanna or whatever
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:10:46 PM by Nonentity »

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 11:14:32 PM

Account was attached after all.
Finally got the client downloaded and patched up.
Got a few error codes. I needed to put my user ID all lower case.
...and the servers are down.  Heartbreak

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 01:07:39 AM

Anyone with magical Asian-language related skills would like to get into this free Gundam online game and tell me how the hell do it? I would be eternally thankful.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNHKzv2ET9o  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 08:26:18 AM

Anyone with magical Asian-language related skills would like to get into this free Gundam online game and tell me how the hell do it? I would be eternally thankful.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNHKzv2ET9o  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

That looks worse than Exsteel. and Exsteel was fun.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 10:57:51 AM

Gundam.

Gundam.

Gundam.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 02:10:38 PM

Oh, Exteel.

And it looks like there's a thread on SA about setting up an account for that Gundam game but I don't have a paid account nor do I plan to.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Phantasy Star Online 2  
Jump to: