Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014  (Read 8048 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

on: June 26, 2013, 12:10:38 AM

Is out for Android and iOS now.  Pretty much the same game as the desktop computers, but nice to have on a tablet.  I wouldn't try playing it on a phone, however.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 08:46:15 AM

Is out for Android and iOS now.  Pretty much the same game as the desktop computers, but nice to have on a tablet.  I wouldn't try playing it on a phone, however.

You can't play it on the phone anyway. At least on iOS.

beer geek.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 03:28:57 PM

The Android Store thread for it has a fair number of IT SUCKS ON MY PHONE complaints.

The interface is pretty acceptable on Android, I would say. Deckbuilding finally lets you take cards out before putting cards in.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:30:21 PM

I have 2013 on my iPad. Rather enjoyed it, Got me back into mtg. Comes with the usual drawback of not being able to construct your own decks

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:37:13 PM

I forgot that they got it onto the iPad a generation before Android. Not sure how it works on iPad but in the Android Store it is a free download, you can play it a bit to try it out and see if you hate the interface, then the full purchase is $10 in-app. 1.2 GB though, be warned.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 03:39:19 PM

Same for iOS (free + IAP).
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 08:21:42 PM

Android version needs work.  Started good but got progressively worse until it was unplayable.

"Me am play gods"
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:26 PM

Welp, it seems Sealed Deck tournaments are not reset after you finish them. That is a cheap money grab.

I want the Microprose MtG back.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:57:01 PM

I thought about buying this for my tablet, but I'll probably just wait for Hex. Wouldn't want to get sucked back into MtG.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 08:10:45 AM

Android version needs work.  Started good but got progressively worse until it was unplayable.
Seems to have cleared itself up overnight. I guess android garbage collector kicked in?
Wow the starter decks are even worse the 2012.

"Me am play gods"
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 03:58:36 AM

Was away for the weekend so I got this on the iPad. Pretty happy with it tbh.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 08:15:50 AM

Welp, it seems Sealed Deck tournaments are not reset after you finish them. That is a cheap money grab.

Not only that, the pool of sealed cards is so stripped down and basic it's pretty lousy.  They basically didnt include any interesting (read potentially complex) cards at all that i could see.  And the rares i pulled from my packs in my first sealed pool?  2 Mind Springs, 1 Redirect, 2 Nightmares, 1 Rune Scarred Demon, 1 Silklash Spider and 1 Overwhelming Stampede, 1 Awake the Ancients (new M14 card to make a Mtn a 7/7 giant).  It like Portal 2.0.

(still think the regular game is worth $10 though)

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 05:24:41 PM

Not only that, the pool of sealed cards is so stripped down and basic it's pretty lousy.  They basically didnt include any interesting (read potentially complex) cards at all that i could see.  And the rares i pulled from my packs in my first sealed pool?  2 Mind Springs, 1 Redirect, 2 Nightmares, 1 Rune Scarred Demon, 1 Silklash Spider and 1 Overwhelming Stampede, 1 Awake the Ancients (new M14 card to make a Mtn a 7/7 giant).  It like Portal 2.0.

I don't really agree with this. There are a lot of different rares and you're going from a small sample size. There are 38 different rare/mythic rare cards in the pool (151 cards). In my 5 sealed decks I've had a fair bit of variety and they've all done a few different things.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:27:57 PM by lamaros »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 03:34:57 AM

In one of my two sealed deck games, I got Door to Nothingness twice.

Ohhhhh, I see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Xilren's Twin

Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 07:51:36 PM

Not only that, the pool of sealed cards is so stripped down and basic it's pretty lousy.  They basically didnt include any interesting (read potentially complex) cards at all that i could see.  And the rares i pulled from my packs in my first sealed pool?  2 Mind Springs, 1 Redirect, 2 Nightmares, 1 Rune Scarred Demon, 1 Silklash Spider and 1 Overwhelming Stampede, 1 Awake the Ancients (new M14 card to make a Mtn a 7/7 giant).  It like Portal 2.0.

I don't really agree with this. There are a lot of different rares and you're going from a small sample size. There are 38 different rare/mythic rare cards in the pool (151 cards). In my 5 sealed decks I've had a fair bit of variety and they've all done a few different things.

My second pool wasn't much better; 3 of the same rares above (redirect, overwhelming stampede, nightmare) plus the happy door to nothingness and 4 copies of 3 different commons.  Best rares were Day of Judgement and an Earthquake.  Add 4 shocks and the deck builds itself (which by the way, it can do if you reset your deck and attempt to leave the screen).
My initial though on spending $2 for another pool was, eh, cheap enough, but the available pool is small enough i just don't think ill be doing that.  It's not just the card availability, the enemies decks are mono colored boring too.

At least in the campaign you have some interesting twist matches (like the one you have to win by turn 9).  Of course the flip side is that idiotic "25 1CC high priests where you can sac 6 to summon 1 demon".  Hold one removal spell and it beats itself...

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 08:48:56 PM

My second pool wasn't much better; 3 of the same rares above (redirect, overwhelming stampede, nightmare) plus the happy door to nothingness and 4 copies of 3 different commons.  Best rares were Day of Judgement and an Earthquake.  Add 4 shocks and the deck builds itself (which by the way, it can do if you reset your deck and attempt to leave the screen).
My initial though on spending $2 for another pool was, eh, cheap enough, but the available pool is small enough i just don't think ill be doing that.  It's not just the card availability, the enemies decks are mono colored boring too.

At least in the campaign you have some interesting twist matches (like the one you have to win by turn 9).  Of course the flip side is that idiotic "25 1CC high priests where you can sac 6 to summon 1 demon".  Hold one removal spell and it beats itself...

I think you'll find playing against other humans more engaging?

The "build deck itself" very rarely gets close to the best setup in my view. Mine have varied quite a bit, and a look on the Wizards forum shows me that others have a few that are very different to mine also.

Also: It's sealed. You might have 3 extra packs, but it's still sealed. It's not like you're going to be building any fancy combo decks...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 09:42:35 AM

So I picked this up to get some freebie practice in before Hex releases.  Yeah, there's some bugs in it that make me hope the same card shuffler isn't used in MTG:o.   

Like what, you say?

Well, playing the silver deck against the Gruul Raiding party I got him to 2 life then decided to see how big I could pump the silvers up.  He proceeded to draw nothing but land for the next 30 turns and never played another card. 

My proof: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157654175

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 08:49:11 PM

You realise that those encounters are stacked decks that don't change? Only the 'Planeswalker' duels use an actual deck.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 05:58:08 AM

I think the fourth one of each world might use real decks as well.

But yes, the first free are just what DotP 2012 called Encounters, fixed decks where the enemy always draws the same cards in the same order.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 08:45:33 PM

I think the fourth one of each world might use real decks as well.

But yes, the first free are just what DotP 2012 called Encounters, fixed decks where the enemy always draws the same cards in the same order.

Aye, them too. I get confused with the whole 'universe' of Magic. I thought those people were Planeswalkers too.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 05:00:15 AM

No, I know they're set but look at that for a second again. 38 lands on his part and only 2 creatures out. He never dropped the Phoenix that I know is in his hand by turn 4 because of previous matches and it certainly wasn't a mana problem.

Ingmar figured it out in the other thread in the MTG subforum.  I'd played a card that made them shuffle the 'deck' and that fucked the AI setup. Seems like a rather large bug.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 05:31:56 AM

Now that you mention it I had similar occurences when forcing him to discard cards. Most of the time the AI only loses lands and isn't really bothered, but once in a while he doesn't play a land for a turn afterwards, like the one he wanted to play is gone.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014  
Jump to: