Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: RIP Richard Matheson 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Richard Matheson  (Read 1192 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: June 25, 2013, 02:27:39 AM

Much, much respect to him: he was such an influential writer, and not only for what would later become the "zombie apocalypse" sub-genre.  If you only know about I am Legend through the various adaptations (the most faithful one is 1964's "The Last Man on Earth") made over the years, do yourselves a favour and pick it up at your local bookstore.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:28:51 AM

I feel even worse now to think that someone recently called "The Last of Us" something along the lines of "I am Legend - The Videogame". This guy deserved better than to be remembered by lots of people for that terrible recent adaptation of his novel. (And I agree that 1964's, although weirdly shot in Italy, was a much much better). He is one of the writers who made me into who I am (take that any way you want).

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:52:55 PM

"Full circle, he thought while the final lethargy crept into his limbs. Full circle. A new terror born in
death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever.

I am legend.”

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:41:49 PM

"Full circle, he thought while the final lethargy crept into his limbs. Full circle. A new terror born in
death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever.

I am legend.”

*shivers*

A brief note from Stephen King:
http://www.stephenking.com/news_archive/article399.html

We've lost one of the giants of the fantasy and horror genres. From THE BEARDLESS WARRIORS,
his brilliant (and largely unread) World War II novel, to THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN and
all the wonderful TWILIGHT ZONE scripts and stories, Matheson fired the imaginations of three
generations of writers. Without his I AM LEGEND, there would have been no NIGHT OF THE
LIVING DEAD; without NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, there would have been no WALKING DEAD,
28 DAYS LATER, or WORLD WAR Z. Matheson wrote the script for Steven Spielberg's
extraordinary film, DUEL, and created one of the most brain-freezingly frightening haunted
house novels of the 20th century in HELL HOUSE. He fired my imagination by placing his
horrors not in European castles and Lovecraftian universes, but in American scenes I knew
and could relate to. "I want to do that," I thought. "I must do that." Matheson showed the
way. In addition to that, he was a gentleman who was always willing to give a young writer
a hand up. I will miss his kindness and erudition. He lived a full life, raised a fine family,
and gave us unforgettable stories, novels, TV shows, and movies. That's good. Nevertheless,
I mourn his loss. A uniquely American voice has been silenced.

Stephen King

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: RIP Richard Matheson  
Jump to: