Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam and Mac games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam and Mac games  (Read 2218 times)
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

on: June 24, 2013, 11:04:35 AM

I've been really surprised at how many games are available for the Mac, but where Steam doesn't get them. For example, Spore, some of the CoD games, AoE II, and most recently XCom are PC-only in Steam, but can be bought for MacOS through the Mac App Store. Does anyone know what gives?

(Yes sue me, my main computer is a MacBook Pro these days. I boot to Windows for games, but obviously would rather play natively on the Mac when it's possible.)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:31:10 AM

You partially answered your own question. Licensing deals and such sometimes make it easier to sell things through the app store than through steam.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 03:54:56 PM

I read a comment on this suggesting there's basically one large game porting company (Aspyr media?) and they have a mixed loyalty to steam. Though in this article they point out that working with the app-store means the version sold is basically a product in it's own right compared to the steam / retail / other digital.

Given they're a small company not surprising there's not commonality of games I guess.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:00:15 AM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 06:12:04 AM

Oh ok, that makes a lot of sense.

I had assumed that by now, companies that had Mac versions of their games were using platform-idependent engines like Source or Unity. I had hoped the crap Wine-based porting was behind us.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam and Mac games  
Jump to: