Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:22:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Golf 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Golf  (Read 5052 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

on: June 20, 2013, 12:02:15 PM

HALP!

I'm looking for a good computer golf game.  Tiger Woods is terribad and I can't seem to find anything similar to the old Links or Golden Bear games.

Anyone know of a good indie/shareware/freeware golf game?

Multiplayer internet support is a plus.

No laughing!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:05:11 PM

World Golf Tour is a F2P game that got good reviews when i launched. Can't speak to it now, but it's not bad looking and pretty fun if you don't mind ads.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:13:48 PM

What don't you like about TW? I haven't played the PC version, but it is pretty fun on 360.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:20:09 PM

I wish you had named this thread "White People."
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 05:25:54 PM

What don't you like about TW? I haven't played the PC version, but it is pretty fun on 360.

It plays like it should be on a console.  I hate the feel of console games ported to the pc.  The controls and menu feel clunky.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 07:47:04 AM

Nintendo golf.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 07:51:55 AM

Its funny, I couldnt imagine playing a golf game without swinging a wii remote...pushing buttons on a controller just seems...wrong? (I binged on a lot of Tiger Woods 2010)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 10:51:23 AM

The latest TW approximates the complexity of a golf swing pretty well. At the highest difficulties you have to hold the target on the ball with one stick while swinging back and foward with the other, and even the slightest deviation will ruin your shot. Is nightmarishly hard. Luckily they allow you to choose which of several components you want to use in customized difficulties, and award XP based on that. It is really a great system.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:03:02 PM

The latest TW approximates the complexity of a golf swing pretty well. At the highest difficulties you have to hold the target on the ball with one stick while swinging back and foward with the other, and even the slightest deviation will ruin your shot. Is nightmarishly hard. Luckily they allow you to choose which of several components you want to use in customized difficulties, and award XP based on that. It is really a great system.

Yeah, as someone who has recently taken up Golf as a "real" hobby, TW is pretty good and will actually help you think about golf. THere really isn't any other game or platform that competes.

And Schild is right. There's no shame in that.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 07:18:24 AM

It is really a great system.

Is it a great system before or after the game offers to sell you super duper advanced "bonus" tokens. Three times. Before you make it to the first tee.

I should have known where EA was heading with the sports games after playing NHL12, but the micro-tran stuff in Tiger13 was enough to make me just walk away. Yes, in theory I could just ignore it all, but the game makes every effort it can to make sure I don't.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 07:50:58 AM

Which is why I was asking for a computer (aka PC) version.  The swing system on TW using the mouse is terrible and an obvious bad/money-grabbing port. 

I just want a Links clone with better graphics and possibly a course designer that supports multiplayer.  Apparently this doesn't exist anymore.

-  Mark Twain
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 08:23:37 AM

Has Links aged so bad? I admit I would like to start playing some golf games again: I started way back with Leaderboard, then Jack Nicklaus for the Atari ST, Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf for the Amiga; Oh, and I had great times playing Neo Turf Masters at the arcades with my friends.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 08:42:55 PM

Go buy an old Golden Tee unit and set it up in your garage.   why so serious?
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 03:37:16 AM

I don't know why more golf games didn't copy Microprose golf. It was made with one of Microprose's flight simulator 3 d engines and was a favorite with all my friends back in the ST/Amiga days. All the other golf games seemed to use a corridor model and paint the distance views on the corridor walls. Hated that.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 10:47:06 AM

In before Sky to point out that, while not a golf game like the ones mentioned, Sim Golf is awesome.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 06:44:36 PM

PGA tour golf (Amiga) was my favourite golf game,  I played the shit out of it.  Earlier Tiger Woods had a similar feel to it,  the recent ones I find overly complex.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 11:24:03 AM

I would love to see a course creator/editor for TW or something similar. It would be a blast creating all my favorite local courses.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 07:48:31 PM

I'd kill to have an updated SimGolf. Played the shit out of that game. My golf courses were a terrible mess.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 09:05:48 PM

I would love to see a course creator/editor for TW or something similar. It would be a blast creating all my favorite local courses.

Most course designer things I have seen don't allow you to place a drink cart on every hole.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 12:52:42 AM

Shot Online on Games Campus

PC Golf sim that has multiplayer, online games. F2P with pay to win, but has rankings, community and purchasable cosmetic crap too.

I played it first back in 2003 (IIRC), and was pleasantly surprised it's still around when I searched for it when seeing this topic.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 09:23:28 AM

NECRO'ED!!!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

At long last, it looks like "The Golf Club 2" might be a good golf game (first game was so and so)

No, we're probably not talking "Links" level of goodness (or, even earlier, Jack Nicklaus' Golf, Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf or Leaderboard) but, from the videos I've seen on Youtube, Golf Club 2 seems to have reached a decent medium between sim and Neo Geo's Neo Turf Master (damn, I loved that one at the arcades).

Have a look at "ApexHound" playlist

You can also create and play courses created by other players (the course designer seems to be very very good).

Yeah, price tag is quite high at the moment unless you're REALLY into golf.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:10:25 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
WayAbvPar

Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 10:18:33 AM

Nice! I have been eyeing the first one for quite a while- I really wanna build some courses. This will go on my wishlist for now, but I can see myself pulling the trigger sooner rather than later.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 09:53:58 AM

Sim Golf is awesome!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Golf  
Jump to: