Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 04:37:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The LEGO Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The LEGO Movie  (Read 16883 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 15, 2014, 07:41:44 PM

I utterly disliked the real world portion of the movie.  It took me out of the story they were telling me, and didn't add anything to the experience.

Plus, Will Ferrell.  Ew.

I thought Frozen was eh (other than Let It Go, which I.  Cannot. Stop. Singing.  (Please help me.))
Except that the entire story they were telling was essentially an Imagination based Allegory for the way the Father and Son interacted with the Lego sets, so, yeah.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #71 on: March 15, 2014, 11:19:54 PM

They dropped the ball with the message portion of the movie, it broke the flow and broke the fun.  But aside from the one (major) speedbump, the rest of the movie was fantastic.

It did break the fun for me, but only because if put the spotlight on how I've become my Dad when it comes to letting my kids play with my "stuff". I felt like a hypocrite and a greedy, petulant dick after the movie. My basement is a manchild wonderland of Unbuilt model kits, unbuilt garage kits, unbuilt warhammer shit, etc. There's more of it than I could ever put together in my remaining lifetime, but that didn't stop my from guarding the basement door like a dragon. After the movie I let my kids each pick out whatever they wanted to build, and the three of us sat down and built models together. Well, anything except the tanks, those things are $50-$70 bucks each.

Stupid movie, teaching me lessons and crap...

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 16, 2014, 02:43:54 AM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #73 on: March 17, 2014, 03:16:40 PM

I disagree but mainly because that particular father/son interaction hit me right in the feels both directions (i.e with my dad and with my son).

It basically just went on way too long for me, is all. That and having the cat poster repeat word for word what Morgan Freeman said not five minutes earlier annoyed the shit out of me for overdoing the joke.

God Save the Horn Players
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 17, 2014, 04:26:12 PM

Everything in the live action section annoyed me as it was all one big cat poster.

I just like to pretend that section never happened. Then it was a great film.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 17, 2014, 06:17:58 PM

I never get tired of this place.  Reading the comments you'd think this lackluster piece of cinema was something best saved for watching until it was free on tv, not one of the most well received movies of the last few years.

I get people have opinions and really I'm not shitting on you guys, it just boggles my mind how opinions can vary so wildly.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #76 on: March 17, 2014, 11:06:02 PM

I never get tired of this place.  Reading the comments you'd think this lackluster piece of cinema was something best saved for watching until it was free on tv, not one of the most well received movies of the last few years.

I get people have opinions and really I'm not shitting on you guys, it just boggles my mind how opinions can vary so wildly.

And this is a ridiculous pile of hyperbole so it fits right in. The thread has been overwhelmingly positive; no reasonable person would think what you said above at all.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #77 on: July 28, 2014, 10:32:39 AM

Watched this again last night.  It's still very good.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 15, 2015, 02:00:08 PM

The fact that this didn't get an Oscar Nomination for at least best animated film is ridiculous.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 15, 2015, 02:11:56 PM

The Oscars are complete shit anyway.  It's basically the Hollywood elite gathering to smell their own farts.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 15, 2015, 06:30:57 PM

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #81 on: January 16, 2015, 11:07:46 AM

Fuck the Oscars. It's amazing they even have an animated category.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #82 on: January 16, 2015, 11:28:55 AM

Recall why they do; too many Animated movies were crowding-out "real" movies and threatening them for best picture. So they got tossed in a bin away from the "real" work.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #83 on: January 16, 2015, 01:58:33 PM

Good for him. Fuck the old shitheads in the Academy. The Golden Globes is a far more entertaining broadcast anyway.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 17, 2015, 03:29:36 AM

Fuck the Oscars. It's amazing they even have an animated category.
Considering that a pixar movie has won, what, like 10 or so out of the last 15 years, I am not sure it is fair to call it an "animation" category.  They should just give pixar an honorary academy award every year for free and let someone else actually have a chance.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 18, 2015, 01:32:34 PM

Wait, are we still bitching about cell vs 3d? In 2015?

Anyway, Pixar makes great movies, and generally deserved the award. In review, since the category was introduced, Pixar has been nominated 9 times (out of 14 years), winning 7.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #86 on: January 18, 2015, 08:31:51 PM

Not saying Pixar might not have deserved their awards, but Lego not even getting nominated is just horseshit.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: January 18, 2015, 09:27:44 PM

Sure. Dunno what that has to do with Pixar though. My response was mostly directed at SurfD.

beer geek.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 19, 2015, 12:20:50 AM

I was just ribbing the Accademy on the fact that every time Pixar has a movie in the running, they are almost statistically a lock for the award.  Winning 7 times out of 9 is pretty crazy from the same studio.  Especially when you consider that the only reason they didnt have nominations in some of those years was simply because they didnt have a movie to nominate (and you can bet that if they did have one,  there is a good chance it would have won).  We always kind of joke around at work that that the Accademy needs a "best pixar movie" category, so other stuidos can have a shot at best animated.

(also, I personally think Cars should have had the award over Happyfeet, but that's just general bitching about Accademy shit in general) (I also knd of aggree with you about Paranorman, but then, I also think that full on Claymation stuff like that should argueably have it's own category, as it is so far and above different from normal "animation" that the two really are not comparable in the same sense.)

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: January 19, 2015, 01:01:32 AM

The only Oscar choices that turned out to be obviously wrong are picking Shrek over Monsters Inc, and Brave over anything else. Which is still 7 of 9 for Pixar.

Not nominating Lego is an oversight but the Oscars actually do pretty well in this category.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: January 20, 2015, 05:17:52 AM

I actually think everything 2012 was better than Brave, and I didn't hate Brave.

2009 was a year where it was unfair because everything was so good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The LEGO Movie  
Jump to: