Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:34:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Adventure Time 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adventure Time  (Read 7433 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: June 18, 2013, 06:59:24 AM

I'm not sure why there isn't already an Adventure Time thread.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/06/17/192385255/an-adventure-for-kids-and-maybe-for-their-parents-too

There are already too many seasons to start talking about things, and I'd want to spoiler things for the people who haven't seen any of it.  I can probably safely say that I'm a huge fan of the setting and the Lich arc, as well as the Ice King/Marceline arc.  My favorite standalone episode might be "BMO Noir".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:01:23 AM

This whole show is freaky mental.

Elena LOVES it, but I'm sometimes sitting there with my extreme What The Fuck face on.

Just like Gumball and that other one about the Squirrel dude that works for an actual gumball machine.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:15:57 AM

Regular Show

All 3 are brilliant in ways I'm jealous of my kids.  I thought the cartoons I grew-up on were awesome because I was 8 and didn't know better.  These actually are awesome.

"My New Prison is SHAAAME!"

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:17:27 AM

Adventure time is awesome. Although it skirts the edge of being appropriate for children sometimes, it is mostly tame considering what kids get exposed to via the internet and daily news outlets.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 07:24:52 AM

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:34:01 AM

The kid also likes Gravity Falls, too.  Gnomes that barf rainbows!

Regular Show is one of the best.  Party Pete!
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 07:40:44 AM

Adventure Time is amazing and people that don't like it are generally very unfunny people.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 07:44:00 AM

I am not sure how to describe it but the show seems to teach very mature female/male dynamics that I haven't seen in other shows.  And that's one thing MLP gets wrong: Uni-sex Equestra can't do that.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:50:30 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:50:51 AM

Is there a convenient online venue for watching the whole show? Aside from black flags.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 07:54:39 AM

Netflix has the first season streaming.  Other than that, you'd have to go to someplace like Watchcartoononline.com and put-up with the ads.  There's 6 seasons now.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 08:10:49 AM

I was initally concerned about the apropriateness for young kids, but I eventually realized that was because I am old.  Finn is a true white knight and a great example for a young boy, unlike most everything that aired in the 1980s.  It doesn't treat kids as idiots, and they aren't (well, they are but not in the ways or as much as many think, anyway), but of course having a lot of things for parents is great as well.

I also have a thing for continuity.  Possibly my favorite is after the episode "Dad's Dungeon", Finn uses his adopted dad's demon-blood sword from then on.

If you like identifying voice actors, it's also a treat.  Donald Faison's Cookie is one of my favorite characters, and I really enjoy Ron Perlman as the Lich.

About catching up on episodes, it's pretty important to watch in order.  Continuity, callbacks, and Shada's voice matures as time passes along with Finn aging.  Do you know of any other cartoons where characters age?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:12:13 AM

I thought the cartoons I grew-up on were awesome because I was 8 and didn't know better.  These actually are awesome.

I maintain that Ren and Stimpy and The Tick still beat anything on current TV.  But I'd put Adventure Time in the same league for sure.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 09:22:41 AM

Mate, they're not the ones you grew up with, you lying bastard.

why so serious?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:27 AM

Partially right.  He'd have been 12 when they came on.  Not 'growing up with' but still impressionable.  Unlike we who got animated commercials from ages 4-17.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 11:38:30 AM

Ren and Stimpy

Every body wants a log, log log log...

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 11:43:53 AM

Partially right.  He'd have been 12 when they came on.  Not 'growing up with' but still impressionable.  Unlike we who got animated commercials from ages 4-17.

Fuck me.  That can't be right.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 11:55:37 AM

The Tick was pretty funny but let's not compare apples to party platters.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 11:59:10 AM

Fuck me.  That can't be right.

I'm being charitable to us by using '92 for Ren & Stimpy instead of '91 since The Tick was '94.

Sam's born after '80.   awesome, for real   Get off my lawn!

schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 01:36:22 PM

Anything you see before girls get boobs (so anything prior to 13-14) should be considered "watching something as a kid."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 01:52:57 PM

Your class was full of late bloomers, then.  I recall some girls starting at 11 and being filled-out at 12.

Hell, I thought my daughter's best friend was 16 the first time I met her, not one month away from 13.  ACK!

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 02:17:25 PM

Regular Show is one of the best.  Party Pete!

We no longer play rock-paper-scissors in our house.  It is quartz-parchment-shears and shall be forevermore.

I have never played WoW.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 02:17:59 PM

Your class was full of late bloomers, then.  I recall some girls starting at 11 and being filled-out at 12.

Hell, I thought my daughter's best friend was 16 the first time I met her, not one month away from 13.  ACK!
No, his class was normal.  13 year old's who were just as busty as they were when they hit 16 were very rare where I grew up as well.

You just spent way to much time focusing on your daughters friends breast apparently.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 05:29:43 PM

Nah, memories of 6 & 7th grade where girls & their parents weren't aware of things like "open weave/ loose neck sweaters are a bad idea at this age."

The daughter's friend was an  ACK! moment, though.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:56 PM

Partially right.  He'd have been 12 when they came on.  Not 'growing up with' but still impressionable.  Unlike we who got animated commercials from ages 4-17.

Fuck me.  That can't be right.

I'm being charitable to us by using '92 for Ren & Stimpy instead of '91 since The Tick was '94.

Sam's born after '80.   awesome, for real   Get off my lawn!

Only barely, but yes.  I guess I was 10 for Ren & Stimpy, and 13 for The Tick.  I count anything before high school (age 14 for me) as being a "kid".  Ren & Stimpy is pretty much my benchmark for "what the fuck am I watching" cartoons -- I actually appreciate them MORE as an adult because I notice all the effort put into the art.

I'd also put classic Looney Tunes up against pretty much anything produced since.  Watched a lot of those because ABC ran a two-hour block of them every Saturday morning.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 08:06:21 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 09:09:32 AM

For Schild:

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Adventure Time  
Jump to: