Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:56:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: [Football Manager 2013] From the pits of carnage to Gloriam Aeternam 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Football Manager 2013] From the pits of carnage to Gloriam Aeternam  (Read 20140 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: June 13, 2013, 03:00:55 AM

PLEASE NOTE

- This is my first radicalthon/let's play/AAR/whatever on any website. Suggestions are VERY welcomed, but please be patient and clement  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
- English is not my native language: I consider myself decent enough when writing in italian, but of course the result in another language may vary :P
- I'm a VERY slow player in general, but with any FM edition in particular, I REALLY like to take my time and get off the path, so to say.

- With this radicalthon, I hope to give you a sense of why, year after year, this game confirm itself as one of the greatest sim ever created; it now plays more and more like some sort of CRPG, which I think you should try even if you don't like soccer/football.
---

Some initial game annotations/settings:

- I'll start this game unemployed; for those interested, I'll show you a screenshot of what teams I can apply for at the beginning of the game (plus some other interesting tidbits about them), and you will decide what I'm going to manage. The only thing is, I don't want to start in any english league: too common, would like something a tad different.

- At the beginning, I'll load some of the main european leagues, plus some more "obscure" ones (together with Argentina and Brazil). As the game goes by, I can always load more.

- I'll try to play and report back "live" as much as I can: I really don't like to accumulate days of playing then blurt out everything in a couple of posts two minutes apart. Don't expect a regular schedule: as I said, I'm quite slow and unfocused, but for once, I would like to complete something like this (which might mean ending this radicalthon around the time FM 2014 comes out...That means end of october, by the way ::D).

- I also hope to provide Youtube highlights of my most important matches.

Ok. That is all for now  Grin

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:49:20 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 05:39:27 AM

Here's the initial league selection:

For now, Argentina and Brazil are view-only, I don't intend to get a job overseas.

So, this is me:

just like in RL, an average dude, AC Milan fan who pretends to know something about football because he has been playing FM for the last 21 years. The only problem is that, now, I consider football players as faces on a computer, with their human values undoubtedly judged on a scale from 1 to 20  why so serious? . I'll be sure to let them know about this as soon as I get an actual team to work with.

So, let's take a look at the available jobs. I feel so ready  Ohhhhh, I see.

The list goes on, but they're mostly reserve/under-19 teams. The "proper" list stops at about the middle of the screenshot, with the " FC Municipal Targu Mures"
-----

Now, like I said above, I would gladly avoid starting in England altogether. Also, I would like to start *below* the premier division of any league. Which means no Jupiler Pro, Eredivisie, Greek Superleague; also, the RUS and the FRA team are placed even lower than the min. league I set for those championships, so I don't want to choose them either.

That leaves us with (sorry if I don't use special characters):

Norway:

- Egersund
- Frigg
- Randaberg IL
- Vidar
- Algard
- Ostsiden
- Mandalskameratene
- Birkebeineren
- Nesodden
- Buvik

In July 2012, the start date I chose, the norway leagues are well underway.

Romania:

- FC Otelul Galati
- FC Botosani
- FC Municipal Targu Mures

Sweden:

- Vasalund
- Vasby United

Again, leagues are well underway in Sweden too

Portugal:

- CD Santa Clara

Netherlands:

- AGOV Apeldoorn

Ukraine:

- Krymteplytsya Molodizhne  - AWESOME NAME  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

In Ukraine and Romania, leagues are about to start, friendlies have already been played.

Quite unsure about what to choose; they are all horrible  Heart
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:57:37 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 05:56:20 AM

Predecessors of Football Manager have been some of the games I wasted more of my life on. Addicted to Championship Manager since the early 90s, I was no stranger to losing days of school for a night session that stretched too long on the original Football Manager, or a few years later the lifekiller known as Player Manager.

Looking forward to this Radicalthon.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 05:58:11 AM

Krymteplytsya Molodizhne

Can there be any other choice?!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:44:39 AM

I would accept Frigg, FC Municipal Targu Mures or Vasby United as well.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 07:40:01 AM

Krymteplytsya Molodizhne

Can there be any other choice?!

Yeah, go with that one.

You're going to make me want to start up a new game of this. I blew through 51 hours in a season and a half in charge of a Blackpool side that didn't stay long above 10th place.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 07:49:32 AM

Waiting to see if some more of you want to weigh in about the team I should choose, then I'll pick :)

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:29:43 PM

I think it has to be Krymteplytsya Molodizhne.

That said I think CD Santa Clara are probably in the best league.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 01:51:34 PM

So, the majority of the  crowd (well, yeah) has decided: Krymteplytsya Molodizhne

Now, what are my main objectives?

- First and foremost,  Have sex with a lot of ukrainian girls, of course  Thumbs up! Eat
- Drink lots of vodka, so that the morning after I can barely remember the name of my assistant manager  Yahoo!

- From time to time, try to teach football to that sorry bunch.  Shaking fist

I'm sure they will all love me.
--------

BUT HEY!!! Before booking a Tupolev to Molodizhne, I want to have a better sense of how welcoming the town will be; the local customs, "attractions" and so on. SO LET'S...well, let's google some stuff, shall we?  why so serious?  Google It

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 02:40:07 PM

...And Wikipedia is my initial friend, of course:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molodizhne,_Simferopol_Raion

Here's a pic of the town and its denizens, passing some quality time together:

Err...no wait, wrong pic  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Here's a fantastic aerial view with Google Earth:

Yes, ladies and gentleman, this district was probably put together by an OCD SimCity player even before the game existed!!  awesome, for real

There is no street view, but just a few photos here and there. Now, let's pick one:

Lovely, uh? I can already imagine zombies crawling up to me at night  ACK! ACK!

Here's the house I'll take as mine, "with fire and blood" !!  Rock Out (not really, but it looks scary enough)

In the first Google Earth pic I posted above, at the top you can notice a 360 pic: that will be my theatre of dreams, the apotheosis of my ego. It's the KRYMTEPLICA STADIUM (or KT Sports Arena)

http://www.360cities.net/it/image/simferopol-fckt#0.00,0.00,70.0

(back later or tomorrow for the real start :D)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:42:06 PM by Lucas »

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 04:13:29 PM

Can I sign up as a player, or can you not do that in this version of the game?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 05:02:30 PM

Can I sign up as a player, or can you not do that in this version of the game?

In this version they noticeably opened up the online portion and made it easier, thanks to Steam. Among other things, you can create an "hot seat" game for multiple users playing on the same computer. Or, you can create an online save with one of the players acting as a host (plus the interesting "versus" competition)

http://www.footballmanager.com/manual/?game=33&locale=en_GB&id=278

Personally, regarding this playthrough, I would prefer to do it alone, mostly because, like I said above, I'm quite unfocused and it's also my first radicalthon. But hey, maybe you can find someone else in here interested in playing together (and maybe post a radicalthon of it :D)

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 05:32:09 PM

No no, what I meant was, 'can you create a player in-game that is named after me?' As in, once you take over a club, hire a player named Megrim (and put him as striker).

Rock on!

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 12:00:11 AM

oooooh, lol, ok  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yeah, you can via the game editor, something I never dabbled with, sorry :).
---

Oh, and about this, a couple more annotations:

- On the official forums and other fansites, there are sections dedicated to tactics, finding the best player values (the so called CA Ability and, more important, the PA, potential ability) via the editor, but I don't do that. The only help I usually look for is with the training, which is an aspect of the game that, in the past, I always put on the sidelines ('til two or three editions ago), leaving it on "general" and to my assistant manager/coaches. Now I try to micro-manage it too.

I like to play this game arming myself with only my knowledge of football (of course I'm no expert, but watching matches LIVE at S.Siro stadium since the mid-eighties, and on TV, and also having a passion for the game in general somewhat helped :D) and, regarding players, via personal and external scouting (meaning, my scouts). Yeah, like in any other game (but FM has a lot of hidden "dice rolls" and mechanics that can progressively crack down the efficiency of your team), FM has a dedicated portion of fans that try a "min/max." approach, trying to exploit the flaws of the match engine, but that's not my case, I opt for a "realistic" approach to tactics and match management in general.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 03:57:23 AM

further down the road, I'll probably create some sort of index of this radicalthon, modifying the first post of the thread. Not right now, though.

First Approach

So, with my bag full of dreams condoms, I somehow arrive in Zombieland Molodizhne, an adventure in itself that my stomach will never forget :P.

At the KT Sports Arena, I meet with the absolute monarch of the team, Mr. Olexandr Vasyljev, and the contract discussion can get underway:

Yes, generally I like to play possession football, not really Barcellona-style, more akin to AC Milan during the 2002-2007 period. Regarding the wage, it's ok, I guess enough to sustain my booze, girls and the excellent ukrainian microwave food  Ohhhhh, I see.

In other news, I swear, I tried to keep this fundamental meeting seekret, but somehow it reached some ears over at Fifa.com, who promptly posted the news  on the website :(

Bah  why so serious?

Oh, and in more news, looking at the newsfeed, all norwegian managers are being sacked and substituted with war mechs.
-----

YAY! Application accepted, and now I can look forward to a fantastic meeting to know the past glory and achievements of the team:

Next: we'll start to get deeper into the team (story, finances, staff and, finally, players) and the Persha Liha itself: general rules, transfer market etc.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:59:53 AM by Lucas »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 07:00:08 AM

Sooner or later the normal "week to week" match grind will start. Bear with me: the initial stages of a full FM game are normally slow and boring while you get accustomed to your new team and league, especially if it's in a region you are not familiar with.

First Approach Part 2

Here's how the meeting with El Presidente went:

I couldn't stand any more babbling, so I delayed the meeting with the Assistant Manager 'til the afternoon; plus, as you can see, I'm not sure about the Wage Budget, and infact:

I upped the season expectation to promotion, in order to have slightly more margin with the wage budget.
---

Now, if you are totally in the dark about the league you're going to play in, first thing to do is read the "rules" section of your league to get a good overview:

Yep, no real differences compared to the more famous central european leagues, beside some transfer deadlines and the foreigns rule (similar to pre-Bosman in central europe).

Here's the rest of the Persha Liha roster, by the way:

Yes, one game has already been played (before I could get the job), but more about that later in the radicalthon :)

Then, let's take a quick view (because there is not much to see, really :P) at the glorious history of the club:

Yep, they never reached the top Ukrainian division, so that's a legit goal I'll strive to reach before escaping this hellish place :P

Another thing to do when setting up the season: check your staff, what positions they cover and if the boardroom will allow more.

Yup, as you can see in the last, spoilered pic, I can recruit two more coaches (beside the scouts...And nice to know about Brazil), and that's VERY important for training, otherwise the various training duties would be covered by the Assistant and my (currently) dearest Mykola Fedorko only (GK coaches should really stick to GK only), maybe duties they really suck at (we'll see when we take a look at the training screen).

Last but not least, Finances are good enough, for now (I still have to get the confirmation about the increase in wage budget, but I'm sure I will get it).

Next: some more initial, necessary steps before we start advancing the calendar: my first official game is in just three days!

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 03:09:19 PM

First Approach, Part 3 (Staff Hunting)

Ok, first of all, let's take care of the staff.

My assistant manager has average values, but at first I thought I would make them suffice; same goes for my only coach, but he's pretty low on the fitness deparment, something that is quite important in nowadays football, so I started looking for more coaches giving the priority to fitness training (at least 14).

It gave me 2 results (basic staff/coach search, unrealistic targets filtered by the Assistant):

Not bad, and it's always good to have high values of man management and working with youngsters.

But it's the other result that was quite interesting. I compared him (left numbers) with the values of my Assistant Manager (right numbers):

As you can see, Mr. Ischenko has quite good numbers, perfectly suitable for an Assistant Manager: hence, I think I'll try to quickly sack my current one and hire Ischenko; meanwhile, I'll try to get Mora too, of course (plus another coach, see below). On the short term, my players could suffer because of this Assistant Manager change, but I think it will benefit them in the long term.

I'm not sure I want to hire the head of youth development, for now.

I also looked for another coach, and I ended offering a contract to this guy:

Well, decent values where I lacked with the others: attack & defense, tactica & technical. Anyways, I think you don't really need to lose sleep over training min./max. in lower leagues, especially if you don't have a very young and promising team at your disposal or if you don't plan to stick around that team for long. Just be sure there is a good fitness trainer, decent enough physio and a good assistant manager that can help you to keep the squad morale high.

Next: since my first match will happen in only three days, my staff situation might be still unresolved by then. Like I wrote above, I sacked by current AM, tried to hire the new one, plus I contacted the other two coaches. Before I advance the calendar, my next post will finally take a closer look at my team, with the first attempt at putting a tactic together)

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 04:11:30 PM

MY SORRY BUNCH AMAZING ENSEMBLE

Here they are!

Now, I won't post the profile picture for each player right now; I'll post them as the need arises (goals or anything interesting involving any of them).

First glance: yeah, the situation on the flanks is dire, especially for the defense: even looking at the player position in the profile, I have only one player that can adapt as a Defender Right (Lutsenko, my vice-captain) and no one who can play as a D L  ACK! . I need some quick free sign or a couple good loans.

Let's take a look at 3-4 players. I have a good GK:

Yep, could be better at Handling, but the good reflexes, paired with nice physical qualities and some important mental ones (Decision, Determination and Bravery) are a good recipe.

And hey, look at my second choice:

Beside looking 20 years older than his age and like a STASI covert agent, I'm almost tempted to make him a full back. Look at those damn physical values :P

Here's the captain of my team, Volodymyr Romanenko (WB/M R )

Well, I hope he does his job on the right flank :P. But hey, you can't go wrong with someone who played in the Stal Dniprodzerzhynsk team and over at BANANA Yerevan!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

And last but not least, my most physical (and, by far, complete) striker, Igor Tymchenko:

The other two strikers  are typical, rapid poachers/advanced forwards.

For these reasons, I think that, at least on a very short term, I absolutely need:

- Two D R (or that can also play as such)
- Two D L (see above)
- One more physical striker that can make some space in the area, acting as deep lying or Target man, whenever Tymchenko gets injured or tired.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:17:48 PM by Lucas »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 05:59:35 PM

SCOUTS, A LOOK AT THE FIXTURES AND ADVANCING THE CALENDAR

So, a brief step back: I should try to hire a couple scouts, so I approached the following two (they requested wages that IMO were a bit high, but hey...):

At least Leonenko might advise about some good player in mother Russia (and both have some knowledge of Brazil, which is ok, since the boardroom will allow for some scouting there) :D
----------------------

So, the fixtures screen:

Unfortunately I'll have to stay in the dark about my previous performances, 'cause the matches were carried out the moment the game was created, without any detail (no highlights, in other words).

Notice that there is a 3-month gap between November and March; no league games will be played (tad cold, I guess :P).
-----------------

Here's the player who scored my first official goal for this season, Ruslan Zeynalov:

At least on paper, I definitely like him as a trequartista/advanced playmaker. Passing and Technique are nothing to die for, but the mix of First Touch, Flair, Off The Ball and decent quickness makes for an unpredictable (for the opposition) player on the pitch.
----

Ok, at this point, let's advance the calendar, which stops the following day, July 16th 2012. I have a wonderful and VERY crowded presentation press conference to attend!  Ohhhhh, I see.

I bravely faced a barrage of eleven questions, that the local news properly summarized as follows:

awesome, for real

A couple more interesting items came up when I advanced the calendar, but those (and other stuff) will be the subject of my next update: it's getting late over here, and the ukrainian girls are waiting for their sugar daddy.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 06:11:01 PM

Tymchenkos' finishing is fairly poor, but he looks like a decent centre forward. Might be worth looking at someone with decent finishing to partner him.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 06:20:11 PM

Tymchenkos' finishing is fairly poor, but he looks like a decent centre forward. Might be worth looking at someone with decent finishing to partner him.

Yep, that will hopefully be the duty of the other two strikers I briefly mentioned (along with the incursions of Zeynalov) and that I still have to show, and who both have higher finishing values (but between 12 and 14 if I recall well, nothing glorious), typical of poachers.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 02:17:28 PM

FIRST SCOUTING, STAFF AND TEAM MEETING,

So, after the press conference, I've been contacted by a couple vampires agents about their respective clients, but in both cases I had to immediately reject because, like we previously discussed, I have no transfer money and at least for now, I don't intend to adjust the wage budget in order to increase the transfer one.

It's kinda tricky: when you're totally ignorant about the playing field of a (obscure) league, and the previous data isn't exactly abundant, you really have no idea how your amazing ensemble will perform against the rest (yeah, you can compare the market value of your players with the other teams, but it's not reliable data). In other words, like we've seen in the "rules" section of the Liha, the transfer window ends on August 31st, so I still have time if I want to make adjustments to the budget (and, by then, with league matches played).
---

So, having said that, I have to start looking for someone affordable (out of contract or loans). Let's start with a full back that can primarily play as a Defender Right. In the end, I've come up with Victor Melnyk (amongst other players who were equally interesting or even better but requested VERY high wages) :

We'll see how it goes: he's wanted by other six clubs, and I've been the first to make an offer (that he accepted), which I may adjust if the competition gets tight. I also like the fact he can play on the left side and in the middle.

Regarding the left defender, after much scouring and lots of pain in the ass by the President, I think I'll first try with this loan:

Yeah, beside some masked attributes, I'm not that happy, and infact I'll keep diggin' for something better (also because I need one more no matter what); also, he might turn down the move to my club, I'll have to wait and see; also, I badly need some more direction by the new Assistant Manager (which still has to agree to the transfer) and a couple scouts.

Ok, let's end this very preliminary approach to the transfer market and let's move on. Backroom Advices :

Not really interested in any of them for now: already made up my mind about scouts and Assistant. I'll wait to have the full staff roster before thinking about individual training; finally, I'll change the squad status only when I recognize the player deserves (for better or worse) it (ie, lemme see him on the field).

Moving on, let's have a talk with my FELLAS in the locker room. After all, I have to pretend I care about them as human beings, right?!?  why so serious?

See? They already love me. Nothing can possibly go wrong from now on.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 02:49:24 PM

..IN WHICH I MESSED UP BADLY WITH STAFF SEARCHING

See what I meant when I told ya I would have sunk in vodka during my nights in Molodizhne??

Yeah, about the staff I tried to hire a few days ago, I don't know why I slightly :P overlooked the fact that for those already employed (like Ischenko below) elsewhere, I would have needed transfer money, that, again, I don't have unless I adjust the transfer/salary budget meter (*FACEPALM*), which I don't want to, for staff members. After all, I'm pretty new at this, it's not like I've been playing every incarnation of FM/CM for the last 21 years undecided :

So, wheeeee!!! It's back to the drawing board with the coaches and the assistant manager: meanwhile, I advanced the calendar, tomorrow (July 18th, 2012) it's matchday and my Assistant Manager is nowhere to be seen. On the other hand, my first scout arrived, and he's got a baggage full of condoms goodies:

Ok, I'll take a look at his report and I will tell ya if someone in particular grabbed my attention.
---

But not today. In the next installment, we'll finally get deep into the heart of football: tactics and formation for my first match, a look at my opponent and the match itself!!

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 04:53:46 PM

July 18th 2012, Matchday n.2 : Obolon Kyiv vs Krymteplyskya Molodizhne - Presentation

- Fixtures:

- Standings before Matchday n.2:

It was another "forever alone" (in this case, pre-match) press-conference, with only a reporter from a newspaper. Worthy of note is the fact that my main striker (I talked about him a couple posts ago), Tymchenko, is an ex Obolon Kyiv player, so the media (or, actually that lonely press guy) asked the usual, boring staff about how could he react and yadda yadda. I downplayed the importance of this so I hope he'll be a tad more relaxed.

Looks like the bookmakers don't like my chances (after all, my opponents have been relegated from the top league):
---------

Tactics

I opted for a 4-4-2 :

As you can see, it's quite plain, a bit aggressive on the opponent. While on the flanks I opted for my players to act as wide midfielders, I told them to run often with the ball, same goes for my full backs, at least in the beginning. In the midfield, Zeynalov as an Advanced Playmaker. Tsoy the other midfielder is quite dynamic on paper, so it would be wasted as a "simple" ball-winning Midfielder:

Finally, I want to experiment with my GK, infact he'll act as a sweeper keeper instead of a "plain" one, because of his high values in rushing out and kicking.

Of course I plan to heavily tailor my team's behaviour via match shouts, as the need arises. I really don't know what to expect, so I could start yelling at them like 30 secs into the match :P .

- Lineups:

They'll adopt a more aggressive 4-4-2, with advanced wingers, so I expect my wide midfielders to be quite busy on the defense :P

I tried to ease up the atmosphere in the locker room just before the match, and hey, apparently it worked:

Ok, time to KICKOFF, then!!!!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 06:59:28 AM

Barely relevant: I was checking Steam Stats (is it reliable?) and it turns out Football Manager 2013 is, 8 months after launch, the third most played game on Steam. Whoa.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 08:05:26 AM

Soccer is a pretty popular game, ya know, especially when you simulate it to such a degree to have actual pictures of players who look like Russian mafia hitmen. :D

Really enjoying this radicalthon by the way, even though I dont care for soccer hat much :)

Hic sunt dracones.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 12:52:10 PM

From now on, my team will be known as "The Kryms" : boring, but much more practical :P)

Obolon Kyiv vs The Kryms 0-0;  Highlights, Comments, Post-Match

Here are the highlights (tell me if you can't visualize them! I'm pretty new to both the "upload highlights" function of FM 2013 and Youtube videos: I never uploaded a video on YT before this one. I hope to get better at organizing the highlights):

Obolon Kyiv 0-0 The Kryms  (ahem, I'm the red team. 720p and full screen advised :P)

--------

Complete fixtures for Match day 2:

And here's the League Table after MD 2:

The post-match atmosphere in the locker room was good:

So, all things considered, I'm satisfied: my two strikers could have definitely been better in front of the keeper (I guess the "On target" statistic in the first screen speaks for itself :P). My best chance, beside the initial header by Tymchenko, was the incursion by Symonchuk toward the end of the first half, but he wasn't in a favourable position to score. Their best chance undoubtedly came with a shot just outside the area by Sibyriakov, but he couldn't angle it enough (nice job by my keeper).

Anyway, I preferred to play it safe for the entire duration of the match, meaning that I wanted to avoid pushing my luck too much by attacking and leaving my defense naked, for example by using my lateral midfielders as pure wingers or my other central midfielder as a constant support for my advanced playmaker. I really have to know my team better (but I'm starting to get an idea, more about that in a subsequent post when I'll talk again about tactics) and also the rest of the playing field.

Yeah, the usual, lonely reporter from the "Agrarne Football Messenger"  was bored too, that must means something (actually, no, he's simply starting to get on my nerves)

But look! More reporters! I don't think I can't handle them all the same time:

Surprise, surprise, press-conferences in FM are boring, just like interviews and conferences with players/managers are boring in RL too; but actually there are nice little features in the game like "storming out" of the conference or adding personal comments that you write yourselves (which have no impact). I plan to make ample use of "SHUT THE FUCK UP" :D
----------

Ok, that is all for now: I still have to take care of a few aspects before getting in the week-by-week match grind (evaluating transfers 'til the end of the transfer window, training, taking a closer look at my team); then, hopefully,  things will get speedier and funnier :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:55:57 PM by Lucas »

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 02:49:19 PM

The first match ends in a scoreless tie. Very fitting.  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 03:12:54 PM

I plan to change the game skin, from time to time. Here's "OPZ Beam 5". Download link: http://www.fmscout.com/a-fm13-skin-opz-beam-v5.html

19th - 21st July 2012 PART 1:  NATIONAL CUP 1ST ROUND DRAW, STAFF ROSTER COMPLETE, TRAINING, RAMBLING ALL OVER THE PLACE

On matchday, the Ukrainian federation also made the draw for the 1st round of the KUBOK UKRAINI, the national cup. Here is it:

I'll play on August 1st. Should be a comfortable debut, right?  Ohhhhh, I see.

My next match is in only three days, on July 21st 2012. I absolutely have to dig for more players and complete my staff roster, so that I can compile my training assignments and schedules.

One more thing you should do in the beginning phases of any FM game: check the squad status of every player and decide if you want to change it (your staff will advise you on this matter too). It's not something you should do right away, but with these peculiarities, the database is not always right: a very good player might not always be in your first team selection, but it doesn't mean that he should be listed as a "backup for the first team", like my GK was at the beginning :P

Once you start to understand your players' capabilities, have a check on every one of them, and change accordingly (team selection screen ---> right click on player---->transfer---->squad status). Pay attention, though: he might not be happy to pass from "important first team player" to "rotation". On the other hand, if a young player see himself promoted too quickly, he might feel the pressure. Player's morale is one of the most important attributes to manage, in Football Manager (some say it's the most important factor in the game, even more than tactics...And that reflects reality if you think about it).
-----------------------

My staff roster is now complete. I have a new Assistant Manager (who earns more than me, the BLOODY BASTARD), two new coaches and one more scout:

Let me show you my new Assistant, at least:

Nice man management,level of disciple, tactics training; no good at motivating, but that would be more important if I left half-time and post-match team talks to him, something I never do in any game (for those who don't play the game, you can leave those talks, as well as press conferences and match preparation, which means specific training the day before a match, to your assistant manager via a game option.)

Now let's take a look at the coach assignments:

Yeah, a pretty average set-up, I'll keep experimenting, but like I said a few posts above, for my objectives with this team (no real "long-term" planning), it will do.

General Training Screen:

- For now, I'll leave the specific match preparation to my Assistant Manager. I'll give the players a day of rest after a match (but not always).

- I'm no expert with training, but regarding the "default focus" (upper left), with lower/obscure leagues, just like in reality, you should strive for the following three things, in order of importance:

*Your players should get less tired than your opponents as the match goes on (in other words, work on fitness) ;
*Your players must learn to play as a team (team cohesion) ;
* Your players should try to understand your tactic as the season goes on (tactics) .

Now, normally, if I could start during pre-season, I would put them on a heavy fitness schedule, but no, we're already in the heat, so they must learn to play together on the field; then, let's try with Team Cohesion

Finally, I'll wait 'til next in-game week to take a look at potential individual training regimens.

Next: a new player should arrive! A bit more scouting. Matchday 3 incoming!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 03:18:45 PM

Damnit, you are making me want to start another play of this.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 03:43:01 PM

19th - 21st JULY 2012 PART 2: A NEW PLAYER ARRIVES, SECOND THOUGHTS ON A LOAN, MORE SCOUTING

Matchday n.2 will have to wait 'til tomorrow, but let's see what happens with my transfer market before calling it a night (and what a night it will be :D).

Victor Melnyk (see post n.21) is mine!!

Good addition for the entire defense, I hope :)
---

On the other hand, I had second thoughts on the loan of Bochkur (again, see post n.21), so I rejected it, especially now that I have scouts and an Assistant Manager as slaves to advise me.

He was soooooooo enthusiastic, what a pity  why so serious? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Goin' on, after being advised by Leonenko, I made an offer for Artem Savin. See the homicidal wary and intelligent expression on his face? I can't wait to have it here at the KT Sports Arena  Facepalm

Having said that, I still have to look for a strong Target Man/Deep Lying Forward that can substitute Tymchenko, plus one more full back and maybe see if I can add something for the attacking flanks, especially because I'm thinking about experimenting with an asymmetric 4-2-3-1 tactic. Finally, I'm starting to eye a couple of my players for a possible sale.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 05:13:17 PM

just a minor thing Lucas, could you put all the images in spoiler tags from now on? Its making the thread jump back and forth for me as the images load and its making this very frustrating for me to read. Putting the pics behind spoiler tags eliminates this problem.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 03:21:50 AM

No problem for me: I wanted to post the most relevant pics per message so that this thread could be a little more graphical and less boring, considering that the game itself is already a glorified spreadsheet :) . But ok, will do (anyone with a different opinion?)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:43:38 AM by Lucas »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 05:43:03 AM

JULY 21st 2012, MATCHDAY N.3:  THE KRYMS vs ARSENAL BILA TSERKVA - PRE-MATCH PRESENTATION AND TACTICS

I'm so in love with Ukrainian team names  Heart

So, before dwelving deeper in MD 3, I made an offer for another striker, georgian Lasha Jakobia. We'll see how it goes.

Hey, at long last, I finally found someone who vaguely resembles a normal human being!!!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Now, he's decent, although I was looking for a stronger one (strenght 9 is a bit low, and at 31 yrs old he can't really improve with training); I like the fact that he can play as an advanced midfielder too, a position which I suspect I'll prefer for him (cutting inside, maybe): he's not a "penalty area" man, no matter his quickness: finishing is average, "positioning" and "off the ball" are below average. The Heading/Jumping combination is good though (but 180cm and low in strenght  are not good values for Target Man/Deep Lying, at least on paper).
-------------

Matchday 3 - Complete Fixtures:

- League Table before MD 3:

My opponents, Arsenal Bila Tserkva:

"close match", the bookmakers say. It will also be a "clash of newbies", 'cause their manager took the team's hot seat only 3 days ago, on the previous matchday:

------------
Tactics

Yes, risky, but I want to experiment with a 4-2-3-1. Here it is:

Still miss a couple of players in some key positions, and also the general condition is not ideal, but the sooner I try this formation (with the players getting a bit familiar with it), the better. Of course I'll be quick to switch to a plain 4-4-2 if the match requires me to do so. While not attacking from the get go, I'll try to be more daring but, as usual with this league, I don't know the level of my opposition at all, beside the fact that they won 2 out 2 (not really telling at this stage :P)

Melnyk will of course make his debut; my promising 18 yrs old, Redvan Memeshev, will play as Advanced Midfielder:

My first team pick, Zeynalov, is a bit tired from the previouis match, but I'll throw him in as soon as possible.

(Almost specular) Lineups:

Let's have a talk with the players:

Ok, it's KICK-OFF TIME!!  Ohhhhh, I see.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 05:56:51 AM

fuck, you are going to make me buy this game.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: [Football Manager 2013] From the pits of carnage to Gloriam Aeternam  
Jump to: