Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  (Read 81314 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #280 on: September 17, 2015, 09:14:03 AM

That's a fine fucking time warp I just went through.  Samwise, you're the new King of F13.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: September 17, 2015, 10:03:52 AM

Seriously though, I disliked that about the originals. I thought the action was more entertaining in these Hobbit films though.
Was it Bilbo's Boisterous Barrel Ride?  That's the one that pushed it over the top, I bet.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #282 on: September 17, 2015, 10:11:43 AM

Seriously though, I disliked that about the originals. I thought the action was more entertaining in these Hobbit films though.
Was it Bilbo's Boisterous Barrel Ride?  That's the one that pushed it over the top, I bet.

It was goofy, but it didn't drag on. That's the main difference with a lot of the Hobbit films' action.

The coolest action stuff was oddly the most non-book element: Evangeline Lilly. Shortbows and daggers. I'm good with that.

edit: Wait, the whole interspecies thing for her character was stupid though.

Especially since they made the dwarf just a small human with a pretty boy face. They don't even have the balls to make a real dwarf, when pushing this story. But at the same time, I'm thankful for that. Actual dwarves are bulbous pieces of shit, and I hate them. And their fans.

Anyways.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:25:51 AM by stray »
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: September 17, 2015, 01:30:36 PM

Since I'v spent time reading this, I'll just be the glutton for punishment and say I enjoyed all three movies and have no real problems with the content added.  Yes, pacing could have been better and some items expanded upon more and/or less, but overall, I had a fun time watching them and didn't go beyond that.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: November 20, 2015, 07:23:09 AM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: November 20, 2015, 07:55:01 AM

Seriously. That's some George Lucas-level "I decided to fuck up every bit of goodwill and high regard I got for my earlier work" shit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #286 on: November 20, 2015, 08:45:29 AM

Seriously. That's some George Lucas-level "I decided to fuck up every bit of goodwill and high regard I got for my earlier work" shit.

And it showed in just about every bit of all three movies. Seriously, the only scene I thought was really worth a shit (and I haven't seen 5 Armies yet) was the Gollum riddle scene.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: November 20, 2015, 10:25:00 AM

Did I missread the article ? To me it said that he was "winging it" because del Torro dropped out and production/filming was already going on. It's not like he did not give a fuck. I read it like he was not given enough time (what a shocker).

Now why there were no storyboards and an unfinished script when del Torro left and he "jumped in" , that I would like to know.

Also, I have not seen the 3rd Hobbit movie yet, is it any good ?  why so serious?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #288 on: November 20, 2015, 10:28:35 AM

He said why - del Toro was doing the movies one way and Jackson didn't want to do it that way, so he had to redesign everything (or most things) from scratch.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: November 20, 2015, 10:50:37 AM

He said why - del Toro was doing the movies one way and Jackson didn't want to do it that way, so he had to redesign everything (or most things) from scratch.
That might not have been the smartest decision, but what I got from a quick look at Wikipedia is that there was a lot of dramz between Jackson and the production company ?
Still, I remember almost nothing from the 2 hobbit movies I saw, but I don't think I was terribly offended either, so ... meh ?

Shit, I need to post more often, I just got freaked out by my own avatar.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: November 20, 2015, 10:59:55 AM

Did I missread the article ? To me it said that he was "winging it" because del Torro dropped out and production/filming was already going on. It's not like he did not give a fuck. I read it like he was not given enough time (what a shocker).

Now why there were no storyboards and an unfinished script when del Torro left and he "jumped in" , that I would like to know.

Also, I have not seen the 3rd Hobbit movie yet, is it any good ?  why so serious?

God forbid they pull back a bit and delay things while they sit down and hammer out some story/scenes that are actually coherent and grounded. But that might cost some money, so full speed ahead. I guess never mind that any losses incurred from delays would be fairly trivial for a trilogy that pulled in $3 billion box office. So although his ability to turn CGI crapfests into moneyhats has been validated, perhaps his ego has been bruised from hearing cocktail party jokes or something about how bad they were, at his expense, and he is trying to salvage his reputation as an artist.
WayAbvPar

Reply #291 on: November 20, 2015, 02:10:01 PM

I hope his ego is bruised. These are definitely subpar. Not Star Wars prequel bad, but not even close the LoTR quality.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #292 on: November 20, 2015, 02:18:45 PM

I hope his ego is bruised. These are definitely subpar. Not Star Wars prequel bad, but not even close the LoTR quality.

See, I disagree. The Hobbit had 3 movies that weren't even watchable because they were so wargarble. I nearly walked-out of the first and skipped the last two and still regret catching "3 dwarves and a little lady play at war" on HBO.  The prequels were watchable the first time and even Sith has grown on me a bit, ham-fisted terribleness of overacting and nonsensical fights and all.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #293 on: November 20, 2015, 02:26:12 PM

I am re-watching the prequels now with my son (to prep him for TFA), and I have fallen asleep numerous times. And I am bitter all over again at how wasted Darth Maul was. The scene where he flips off the speeder and attacks QGJ is badass.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: November 20, 2015, 07:05:38 PM

SW prequels are infuriating because of bad decisions, and Clones is dull, but Phantom and Sith at least move along ok.

I found all three Hobbit films a fucking snooze except when I woke up because: a) Gandalf or b) the badness was actively infuriating (dumb chase scene inside the Mountain, dumb drawn-out mano-a-mano shit in Battle of Five Armies, dumb obsession with the son of the Master of Laketown).
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: November 20, 2015, 08:09:34 PM

They had to do SOMETHING with Stephen Fry.

why so serious?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: April 24, 2018, 06:29:56 PM

ARISE!

I love this dissection of the films. It's really smart, really interesting. It's like Red Letter Media at its best, only better, without the Mr. Plinkett crap particularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPJr_tKkO4&t
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #297 on: April 24, 2018, 06:59:26 PM

The third one is out that focuses on the NZ labor issues and how the films screwed actors and crew up until even now.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: April 25, 2018, 01:49:57 AM

Oh, is the third one out ?  I did love that series because it crystalized exactly why the series was utter wank.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: April 25, 2018, 03:10:26 AM

Right? It really explains it all beautifully. It shows you that media criticism isn't always just "meh, I don't like it", but can really be meticulous and factual while also talking about individual preferences and feelings.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #300 on: April 25, 2018, 06:25:25 AM

Youtube's algorithm kept shoving those at me until I watched them, too.  Very well done.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #301 on: April 25, 2018, 11:46:41 AM

I just watched all three of those and goddamn were they good. Red Letter Media often has some salient points but the whole VCR repair shop and the character schtick often distracts as much as it does entertain. She is a fantastic media critic.

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: April 25, 2018, 03:28:22 PM

I think this series on the subject is better. Maybe it's just because I saw them first though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TijkFnT8D-U
(It's five parts. I trust you can manage to click part two through five successfully)

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #303 on: April 25, 2018, 07:04:00 PM

I just watched all three of those and goddamn were they good.

I just clicked into this thread cold and marvelled at your revisionist embrace of The Hobbit movie trilogy, then scrolled up a bit.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: April 26, 2018, 02:31:43 AM

Oh. That girl used to call herself the Nostalgia Chick. Great to see she is still doing work, I always liked her but lost track of her in the last few years.

Those documentaries were excellent.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #305 on: April 26, 2018, 07:25:08 AM

Her stuff on Michael Bay's Transformers is also excellent.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: April 26, 2018, 11:18:40 AM

On a rewatch I just noticed that 1t 13:20 She had the Game of thrones books up with the underline "293,000 words (most of them about food.)"  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #307 on: April 26, 2018, 08:24:51 PM

Oh. That girl used to call herself the Nostalgia Chick. Great to see she is still doing work, I always liked her but lost track of her in the last few years.

Those documentaries were excellent.

Aye.  These videos are terrific.  Thanks Khal -- this is a great find.  She's really good.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  
Jump to: