Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:32:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  (Read 82114 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: June 22, 2013, 02:50:25 AM

Look, at some point, either you like the baseline source material or you don't.

No such point exists.

It's not about source material, it's about Peter Jackson being a bad director who fell in love with lame CGI shit and is too big to be contained by any producer or editor. Regardless of the strength of the source material (or lack thereof) Peter Jackson just makes bad movies.

All his movies from the past decade or so suffer from the same set of problems. This is easiest to see with King Kong since people don't have the same emotional attachment to the source that they do to LOTR and can see the movie for what it is, but all the problems in King Kong also exist in the Tolkien stuff. Same lack of genuine character emotion, same inappropriate jokey shit at odd times, same reliance on CGI beasties hitting each other as if that's exciting, same "how do you follow a CGI battle scene? Another CGI battle scene!" philosophy, same interminable padding of absolutely everything.

I'm sure if you measure out King Kong it has a great deal of stuff that isn't CGI fighting, probably more than the running time of many movies, but that stuff feels like boring filler to get to the CGI stuff - which is also boring. (In part because the story as a whole has no weight) It's like watching a super expensive Syfy movie of the week.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:01:03 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 22, 2013, 05:34:07 AM

I agree the battle scenes were overpadded, though at the same time they gave the film a slightly cartoony slightly folk tale air which isn't really wrong for the hobbit. The bit in the goblin mines felt like watching the Ant Hill mob.

The gandalf scenes, rivendell scenes, and everything involving the necromancer felt forced and besides the point.

But I had no issue at all with the endless dwarf chatting scenes.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 22, 2013, 06:01:06 AM

I agree that Jackson's handling of The Hobbit is bad. But it's not because there's not enough downtime or not because there's not enough character development. I think Ratman is right in his most recent post: it's all there, just not delivered *correctly* or *well*.
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 14, 2013, 11:39:36 PM

No, my complaint is that Blibo didn't get enough character building.

The most bravest of all hobbits, Blibo!  I want to hear more about Blibo!

*Should be working*
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: July 15, 2013, 05:46:55 PM

It's not about source material, it's about Peter Jackson being a bad director who fell in love with lame CGI shit and is too big to be contained by any producer or editor. Regardless of the strength of the source material (or lack thereof) Peter Jackson just makes bad movies.

All his movies from the past decade or so suffer from the same set of problems. This is easiest to see with King Kong since people don't have the same emotional attachment to the source that they do to LOTR and can see the movie for what it is, but all the problems in King Kong also exist in the Tolkien stuff. Same lack of genuine character emotion, same inappropriate jokey shit at odd times, same reliance on CGI beasties hitting each other as if that's exciting, same "how do you follow a CGI battle scene? Another CGI battle scene!" philosophy, same interminable padding of absolutely everything.

Like I have said for years, the Fellowship of the Ring was a great movie. But after that Jackson got carte blance and ultimate power to do what he wants, and so the rest of them were utter crap. Hell, the 2 Guys following Gollum were the most interesting parts of the second movie.

What else were you looking for with Bilbo in the first film? That he have an adulterous affair along the way with Galadriel? (Not that he's married--say Gandalf if you prefer). 

Galadriel was married.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

But seriously if you are saying that Dwarf 5 got some actual personality as a plus point, well gee even Jackson has to feel out 2 hours of cinema with SOMETHING between the CGI.

Hic sunt dracones.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: August 01, 2013, 01:55:18 AM

Finally got around to watching this (borrowed the DVD from a friend).

It stank.

Not a little bit, this was the smell you get when someone up-chucks their own shit style of stink.

It was boring and insipid and there was a total lack of depth. I couldn't even enjoy the CGI, there was no feeling of being transported into another world.

I feel ripped off even though I didn't pay to watch it. How the hell they can justify this crap over 3 movies I do not know.

They should have sold it as the book told it - instead they got arty/greedy and made it mindless.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #76 on: August 01, 2013, 10:33:13 AM

My son (11) is already asking me to go to this.  He loved the first installment.  He has yet to read any Tolkien.

I have never played WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 01, 2013, 10:48:43 AM

My son (11) is already asking me to go to this.  He loved the first installment.  He has yet to read any Tolkien.

Here's your chance to introduce him to books.  Tell him you will, complete with popcorn, if he reads the book!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: August 01, 2013, 12:41:33 PM

And tell him if he doesn't read it, you will beat him with it.  Tell him the books get heavier as time goes on.  Mention that you have him on a loose schedule to be reading Joyce's Ulysses before year end.  Then laugh without smiling and walk away.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 01, 2013, 12:58:02 PM

And tell him if he doesn't read it, you will beat him with it.  Tell him the books get heavier as time goes on.  Mention that you have him on a loose schedule to be reading Joyce's Ulysses before year end.  Then laugh without smiling and walk away.

awesome, for real

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #80 on: August 01, 2013, 05:46:14 PM

Here's your chance to introduce him to books.  Tell him you will, complete with popcorn, if he reads the book!

That is not a bad idea.  He is a reader, though.  Just not Tolkien...yet.

I have never played WoW.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #81 on: August 01, 2013, 06:10:53 PM

We read The Hobbit when I was in 6th grade.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 02, 2013, 05:31:48 AM

How many times did they beat you with The Two Towers before you got all the way through?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #83 on: August 02, 2013, 06:43:41 AM

Of all the books, the Two Towers is the one I had to slog through the most.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 02, 2013, 07:42:35 AM

I basically find Frodo and Sam's storyline pretty boring until they get to Cirith Ungol--that was always my struggle reading the books. (And actually in the movie too, though I appreciate how Jackson tries to make some more tension around the relationship between Frodo, Sam and Gollum before Shelob.)
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: August 02, 2013, 11:42:00 AM

I basically find Frodo and Sam's storyline pretty boring until they get to Cirith Ungol--that was always my struggle reading the books. (And actually in the movie too, though I appreciate how Jackson tries to make some more tension around the relationship between Frodo, Sam and Gollum before Shelob.)

I'd rather he didn't than watch the terrible end-results. Shit made no sense.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: August 02, 2013, 08:59:28 PM

That's most peoples reaction I think. The sad thing is that an oft heard comment after the seeing the movie was that the bits with Sam and Frodo walking in fields were the most interesting parts.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:32:22 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 02, 2013, 09:15:40 PM

I still haven't seen this and I liked the LOTR movies but....I'm just too weary of it all and 3hrs? no thanks.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: August 03, 2013, 05:24:38 AM

Yeah, I really wouldn't. It was a frustrating experience because there was a decent enough flick trying to struggle out from underneath the bloat.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 11, 2013, 09:26:46 PM

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 12, 2013, 04:22:44 PM

OK that was good!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #91 on: October 01, 2013, 12:10:08 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #92 on: October 01, 2013, 12:15:59 PM

That was equal parts  Ohhhhh, I see.  swamp poop  DRILLING AND MANLINESS and ACK!

Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: October 01, 2013, 02:57:28 PM

Smaug's voice reminds me very much of Tim Curry in Legend.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #94 on: October 01, 2013, 03:31:09 PM

It's been a while since I read The Hobbit, but I don't recall Legolas being in it. Let alone being in it enough to occupy a solid 20% of the preview clip. Added for tween girls?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: October 01, 2013, 03:37:12 PM

There some elves but almost none of them are named. Plausibly one of them could have been Legolas--he's a prince of Mirkwood. But he's not named and none of the elves really get anything like dialog or characterization.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #96 on: October 01, 2013, 04:02:15 PM

It's been a while since I read The Hobbit, but I don't recall Legolas being in it. Let alone being in it enough to occupy a solid 20% of the preview clip. Added for tween girls?
His dad is in the book so by Jackson's logic Legolas would've been in those scenes too even though he wasn't mentioned in the book:
He's Thranduil's son, and Thranduil is one of the characters in The Hobbit, and because elves are immortal it makes sense Legolas would be part of the sequence in the Woodland Realm.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 01, 2013, 04:53:13 PM

Sounded like Bane to me. Except I could decipher it.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #98 on: October 01, 2013, 07:07:56 PM

Sounded like Bane to me. Except I could decipher it.

I dunno... I got a Tim Curry feel as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3J91bPrW9A

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 01, 2013, 08:24:04 PM

You guys are close; I got a very eerie, evil brit. vibe as well but not quite Tim Curry.  Close to as awesome though imo.  Here is the voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixaxZcB-4MA

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: October 04, 2013, 04:04:08 PM

I think Benedict Cumberbatch is doing Smaug. I'll never know because I have no desire to see these films. I quite liked the Lord of the Rings films but turning the Hobbit into 3 films just smells of bloat and out of control ego. No thank you.

Oh, and to the guy upthread who said PJ is a bad director, I disagree but like many, he needs a good editor to pull him back and say "No, that's too much". I get the sense he had that in LoTR but not in the Hobbit.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 06, 2013, 10:41:03 AM

He had that in the first movie but they just turned him loose in the other 2 lotr films.

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 07, 2013, 12:04:02 AM

LotR was fine with the exception of RotKs endings. If anything the theatrical cuts were too short, the DVD versions are much better. King Kong OTOH....

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: October 07, 2013, 02:47:27 AM

I think Benedict Cumberbatch is doing Smaug. I'll never know because I have no desire to see these films. I quite liked the Lord of the Rings films but turning the Hobbit into 3 films just smells of bloat and out of control ego. No thank you.

Oh, and to the guy upthread who said PJ is a bad director, I disagree but like many, he needs a good editor to pull him back and say "No, that's too much". I get the sense he had that in LoTR but not in the Hobbit.

Agreed.  Keep the movies tight and save that extra for the blu-ray.  I'll eat that shit up.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 05, 2013, 10:06:59 AM

Is it me or does it seem like there's just not the "momentum" there used to be with this franchise (or any 'geek' franchise lately)?  I got VIP tix for the midnite museum IMAX show no problem; there was a time that'd be impossible unless you showed up the moment they went on sale.  Same thing happened with the last trek and the last Iron Man.

Have the hipsters moved on or something?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  
Jump to: