Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 09:20:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Tom Clancy's The Division 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tom Clancy's The Division  (Read 150452 times)
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #140 on: January 21, 2016, 01:47:26 PM

I think I was interested in this initially, but this has become such a non-game that I don't even know what it is anymore.

Hipster shooter.

ooooooooooh ic

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #141 on: January 25, 2016, 03:11:53 AM

Before jumping into the interview, here’s a quick run-down of what you can expect from the PC version of the game. It’s unusual to see such a marked difference between PC and console at a preview event, but the version that we four PC-dedicated journalists played was splendid. I usually jump into the menu screens to invert my y-axis and then hop out immediately. The Division has so many options to play with though.

At the base, there are strong keyboard and mouse controls, which make inventory management a drag-and-drop joy in comparison to the controller equivalent. Those go hand in hand with extensive customisation options. Those include a wealth of visual settings (you can turn ambient occlusion off, should you wish) and a fully customisable HUD. Windows and other elements can be resized and shifted around the screen (or screens; up to three are supported as are multiple GPUs) as you desire.

All of that and no framerate locks. Right. On with the interview.

[RPS]: And on the PC version, you go even further by making the whole thing fully customisable. Elements can be repositioned, resized, completely eliminated. Almost every developer tells us that they care about PC but most don’t go this far. How important was all of the customisation in the PC version for you?

[Jansén]: PC is incredibly important to us. There are plenty of incentives to do a good PC version. Personally it’s important – a I play on PC whenever I can and I want the thing they play at home to be the best possible version. That is not to be underestimated as a driving force. Secondly, both of the studios, Massive and Red Storm started out on PC so it’s a matter of pride, or heritage and pedigree if you will. We feel kind of ashamed if we don’t do the PC version really well. It really is something that we care about.

Source: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/22/tom-clancys-the-division-interview/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:37:28 AM by Falconeer »

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #142 on: January 29, 2016, 03:06:52 AM

Anyone in the beta(demo) they are doing right now? Opinions?

After SW: Battlefront beta let me down, I am not keen on purchasing this site unseen.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: January 29, 2016, 03:29:01 AM

I think only XBOX ( why so serious? ) started yesterday. But PC starts today. In Europe, it's around 1pm. So I will post my first impressions in a few hours.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: January 29, 2016, 12:22:37 PM

My impressions after a couple hours and doing the one story quest they have available on mostly hard difficulty (Which seems like a huge red-flag to only have one story quest).

1. For a cover based shooter they have not made using cover as seamless as they should. They have all these cover points indicated and you have to run up to it. Hit the cover button and then peep over to shoot your gun then hope for some reason you didn't detach from the cover and if you want to find other cover you have to run to it instead of hitting the cover button to automatically get to the next cover. Also if you vault on top of something your pathfinding is likely to spin you in circles trying to get down while you get shot 56 times and then let you jump down.

2. Someone in your group will have a hot mic and you will be forced to hear the monstertruck commercial version of everything the NPC's say. I need to turn off voice I think.

3. It looks pretty.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: January 29, 2016, 12:45:40 PM

I confirm my initial impressions: it is a better Defiance, but the gameplay is 100% Defiance. It's not necessarily a bad thing, Defiance gameplay wasn't bad it was simply too shallow and too short. In these regards, it's impossible to judge where The Division stands since the beta only lets you see a very small portion of the whole, but as a Defiance clone it certainly is a giant step forward in aesthetics, setting and polish.

Bonus: the dark zone (PvP). It is a lot of fun for now, but it will take a few days to see if people find a way to ruin it, or the design will fall apart somehow.

Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: January 29, 2016, 02:36:50 PM

Bonus: the dark zone (PvP). It is a lot of fun for now, but it will take a few days to see if before people find a way to ruin it, or and the design will fall apart somehow.

FTFY... minor points.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #147 on: January 29, 2016, 02:51:06 PM

As of about an hour ago, the dark zone on PS4 is a complete shitshow. Roaming packs of over-geared assholes in the same parties are ganking anyone that enters or tries to get gear airlifted out.

I like it though. So far. Despite the fact that the only things they got right are Madison Square Garden and the post office across the street from it. The rest of the city looks like a google maps version of it. The fact that they couldn't license some of the buildings like the Empire State and Chrysler doesn't help either.

All that said, I will still get it because I like the storyline so far.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: January 29, 2016, 05:43:21 PM

I got my nice, sorry but you didn't preorder so no beta. But we'll let you know. I'll keep an ear open since Surly seems to not mind it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #149 on: January 29, 2016, 06:09:14 PM

He liked Destiny, though, so his opinion is suspect.
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: January 29, 2016, 07:08:17 PM

He liked Destiny, though, so his opinion is suspect.

As did I, for the most part. Birds of a feather and stuff.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #151 on: January 29, 2016, 07:41:42 PM

Oh, carry on then.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: January 29, 2016, 10:30:40 PM

Schild should like this, it's got Diablo'ish style loot. Then it hit me...This might actually be Hellgate: NYC.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #153 on: January 29, 2016, 11:10:41 PM

It kind of is Hellgate:NYC. Hopefully it fares better. The shooting isn't as crisp as Destiny's but it is fun once you get the hang of it and start getting better gear.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: January 30, 2016, 02:35:02 AM

Hellgate and Diablo though are about hordes of enemies that you vaporize with the blink of an eye. This is the opposite; a few human enemies here and there that absorb your bullets as if they were made of candy wraps. In Hellgate you feel like a god, here you feel less effective than an actual, real life gunman.

I'm enhoying it though for what it is. An action MMORRPG set in modern times. Cool take.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #155 on: January 30, 2016, 05:13:38 AM

Once you start to get better guns, it gets easier. With my current loadout, I'm one and two-shotting most dark zone mooks. (With the glaring exception of that climbing gym across the street from the rooftop LZ.

Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: January 30, 2016, 07:02:12 AM

Once you start to get better guns, it gets easier. With my current loadout, I'm one and two-shotting most dark zone mooks. (With the glaring exception of that climbing gym across the street from the rooftop LZ.

SPOILERS!!  why so serious?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #157 on: January 30, 2016, 09:43:00 AM

We take a break from this apocalypse in progress for nature's call...

http://i.imgur.com/n5NlnOQ.gifv

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: January 30, 2016, 09:47:15 AM

We take a break from this apocalypse in progress for nature's call...

http://i.imgur.com/n5NlnOQ.gifv

Wha...?  Is that a dog squatting and taking a shit? ACK! Facepalm
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: January 30, 2016, 12:28:25 PM

I like how some animator had to waste a day or two on that, including the particle effects or whatever used to make the actual shit coming out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: January 30, 2016, 12:31:57 PM

Dogmeat doesn't crap once.   awesome, for real
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #161 on: January 30, 2016, 12:43:03 PM

Did the poop just magically disappear? It's kind of hard to tell from that clip.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: January 30, 2016, 12:47:50 PM

Yeah it kind of just melts into the pavement.  Too bad that rat in the background isn't dragging around a slice of pizza.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: January 30, 2016, 01:10:21 PM

Listen, if we're going to have a realistic post-apocalyptic setting, some shit's just gotta be done.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #164 on: January 30, 2016, 02:25:01 PM

Did the poop just magically disappear? It's kind of hard to tell from that clip.

Like all dog poop in the winter in New York, it sinks into the snow, waiting for an unsuspecting passer-by or twelve to step in it and track it across the city.

As for pizza rat, all of his cousins are out in force.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #165 on: January 31, 2016, 12:40:16 AM

My impressions after a couple hours and doing the one story quest they have available on mostly hard difficulty (Which seems like a huge red-flag to only have one story quest).

1. For a cover based shooter they have not made using cover as seamless as they should. They have all these cover points indicated and you have to run up to it. Hit the cover button and then peep over to shoot your gun then hope for some reason you didn't detach from the cover and if you want to find other cover you have to run to it instead of hitting the cover button to automatically get to the next cover. Also if you vault on top of something your pathfinding is likely to spin you in circles trying to get down while you get shot 56 times and then let you jump down.

2. Someone in your group will have a hot mic and you will be forced to hear the monstertruck commercial version of everything the NPC's say. I need to turn off voice I think.

3. It looks pretty.

1. The minute you see the cover indicator you just need to hit the cover button the attach to it. You're detaching from it because you haven't changed the setting that detaches you on moving backwards. You can move cover to cover by finding the cover you want and holding the cover button.

2. Mute them in group management
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: January 31, 2016, 03:25:44 PM

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: January 31, 2016, 11:17:37 PM

Defiance had the advantage of the relatively poor graphics and low architectural density making content creation cheaper. Combine that with beta being a thin slice and I suspect there's a good chance it will release content light.

Plus defiance, warframe and destiny all have plots that allow for game progression and mob variety. An epidemic and sudden collapse of society doesn't seem to have nearly the same scope. Even increasing difficulty by having large opponent counts will start to break the sense of realism, those games have enemy empires to explain the endlessly refreshing enemy hordes.

... I guess inevitably it's going to go zombie. Or it thinks it can sell on the PvP?

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: January 31, 2016, 11:29:37 PM

I think plot is fina and will be fine in The Division, what I have seen is promising. What worries me is variety: you have a level progression curve, but your enemies are only gonna be humans all the way up. Not sure you have much wiggle room with that. For what is essentially a MMORPG I believe that will be a problem, shortening longevity.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #169 on: February 01, 2016, 08:14:12 AM

The plot is awesome for a one-off. I too am worried about longevity though. Where do you go after saving the country from the brink of apocalypse?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: February 01, 2016, 08:34:51 AM

How does Destiny keep up the interest (does it?). Loot? DLCs? "Story"?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #171 on: February 01, 2016, 10:08:12 AM

A combination of all three. Or at least it did before it went into maintenance mode.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: February 01, 2016, 10:26:14 AM

Whoa. It did so early? I thought that at least on console was a huge success. If it isn't, then it's clearly not a business or gameplay model anyone should imitate. Unless... Warframe is still doing great right?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #173 on: February 01, 2016, 10:47:08 AM

Warframe is still doing very very well yes in terms of player numbers on steam. No idea how it is doing on Playstation.

Its in the Football Manager, GTA5, TF2, Civ5, Rocket League, currently popular survival sandboxes & currently popular AAA RPG's tier.

Which means its ahead of: old Counterstrike, f2p mmo's, whatever roguelikes happen to be big atm and moba's that aren't DOTA.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: February 01, 2016, 12:12:51 PM

The plot is awesome for a one-off. I too am worried about longevity though. Where do you go after saving the country from the brink of apocalypse?

Boston?  why so serious?

Destiny was great for awhile for me. I got my money's worth... didn't grab Taken King because I was barely playing at that point. I don't miss it nor do I regret buying it. However, that is going to be the last game I play without a preview, in terms of shooters. I was in the market for SW: Battlefront when I saw the teasers and trailers, but changed pretty quick after playing the preview weekend (no, that was not beta so I am no longer going to call them that).

Still curious about this game, but not going to get suckered into a $60 purchase for $20 worth of content because of 'new shiny.' I enjoy PvP to an extent, but once that becomes all the game has to offer (with little to no story), then there is no way I'll spend that kinda cash - not when I can play Warframe or Planetside 2 for free.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Tom Clancy's The Division  
Jump to: