Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:20:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Papers, Please - A Dystopian Document Thriller 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Papers, Please - A Dystopian Document Thriller  (Read 5889 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

on: June 10, 2013, 03:18:31 PM

This is a clever little game, with really unique gameplay, and I think it's probably best enjoyed by jumping in and trying the demo (final game not out yet) without spoiling yourself on gameplay, etc first.  Available here: http://www.dukope.com/

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqLFFEX4Obg

The communist state of Arstotzka has ended a 6-year war with neighboring Kolechia and reclaimed its rightful half of the border town, Grestin. 

Your job as immigration inspector is to control the flow of people entering the Arstotzkan side of Grestin from Kolechia. Among the throngs of immigrants and visitors looking for work are hidden smugglers, spies, and terrorists. Using only the documents provided by travelers and the Ministry of Admission's primitive inspect, search, and fingerprint systems you must decide who can enter Arstotzka and who will be turned away or arrested.

On Steam Greenlight over here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138290904

I have learned that I am a terrible, inefficient bureaucrat.  At the end of the 8 days of the demo, my family was sick, freezing, and starving...

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 03:19:35 PM

I tried to get rk47 to play this in video form. It's so fantastic.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:24:40 PM

I'm really interested in experiencing the full 30 day "campaign" when it launches, but I'm going to have to up my game if my family is going to survive.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 05:13:37 PM

This is awesome.

EDIT: Day 1 purchase.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:19:49 PM by Falconeer »

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 05:38:15 PM

Gameplay Tips (spoilered because figuring out the mechanics is sort of part of the gameplay):

Interesting tidbits / spoilery things:

Some cool behind the scenes stuff in this 40-page thread/blog of development.  Linked page has a few posts about the procedural portrait system: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=29750.30
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:35:27 AM by Quinton »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:38 AM

I would not have believed that this game would actually be entertaining.  Cool throwback to the DOS days.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 05:17:33 PM

Rise from your grave!

I've played through the full version once and plan on doing so again.  Apparently there are 20 different endings.  (I made it to something like day 34 before getting sent to the work camps.  Careful who you detain!)

The guy who made this is at PAX and I got to shake his hand and tell him his game is awesome.  He seemed to have trouble believing that somebody had not only played it but played all the way through it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 05:23:19 PM

The guy who made this is at PAX and I got to shake his hand and tell him his game is awesome.  He seemed to have trouble believing that somebody had not only played it but played all the way through it.

That's weird, everybody I know who has it likes it.  Did it sell really bad or something?

My second playthrough has kind of snagged, there's some annoying feature where the Steam version uses the same save file as the Gog version.  I played through the Gog version first, and now all the stuff I did on my first playthrough isn't unlocking Steam achievements.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 05:33:53 PM

The guy who made it never responded to my email (which, admittedly, was nearly Spam) for the new version of f13.

Just sayin.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 05:34:38 PM

Kail, if that's the case, it's probably saving to a file in My Documents/My Games/Papers, Please! or something. Take a look through the games folder in your docs and nuke your save.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 05:39:02 PM

That's weird, everybody I know who has it likes it.  Did it sell really bad or something?

I think it's just that only hipster artfags like us f13ers have even heard of it.   awesome, for real 

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 11:58:15 PM

Rise from your grave!

I've played through the full version once and plan on doing so again.  Apparently there are 20 different endings.  (I made it to something like day 34 before getting sent to the work camps.  Careful who you detain!)

I've played through the release version and picked up one good and 4-5 bad endings.  I like the branching save system.

The final game is soooo good.  I love how
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 01:23:01 AM

I put a short review up on GOG, but in short...

I would never think that someone would (inadvertently?) make a game sort of based on my actual job, and make it fun.

It just makes me really miss real refusal stamps (we don't use them anymore as cases are all processed electronically). Friend of mine actually had a fake stamp made for me (people REALLY like stamps here; I blame the French), and using it on the paperwork we trash from refused applicants is downright cathartic.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 04:11:32 AM

The guy who made it never responded to my email (which, admittedly, was nearly Spam) for the new version of f13.

Just sayin.

I'm sure we're all just expecting the redesign to consist entirely of one review of Hex anyway.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 09:45:54 AM

Unfortunately, I was not that clever.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 10:36:46 AM

Game is on sale on Steam right now as part of the Greenlight special.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 06:01:49 PM

cobrastan is not a real country.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 02:54:04 AM

cobrastan is not a real country.

Don't worry, the documents are pre-approved!
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 03:02:29 AM

It's real to me dammit!
Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 01:11:52 PM

https://youtu.be/YFHHGETsxkE

The Short Film has beem released.

All hail Arstotzka!
 DRILLING AND MANLINESS
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 06:32:59 AM

Damn this game was sublime even in the way it technically wasn't enjoyable.

Film is not bad and a worthwhile reminder for this great game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:02:04 AM by patience »

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Papers, Please - A Dystopian Document Thriller  
Jump to: