Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:45:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (Read 350143 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #875 on: March 06, 2014, 12:00:42 PM

SWORD would be a whole other ball of wax that I'm not sure they are prepared to get into in the show. SHIELD is covering both org's functions anyway so why bother complicating things?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #876 on: March 06, 2014, 12:08:10 PM

It doesn't bother me that they shot these guards, it bothers me that they haven't shot more people in previous episodes.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #877 on: March 06, 2014, 12:15:39 PM

SWORD would be a whole other ball of wax that I'm not sure they are prepared to get into in the show. SHIELD is covering both org's functions anyway so why bother complicating things?
Since SWORD was a Joss Whedon creation in the comics, it's not as much of a stretch.  We need something that is operating in the same basic realm as SHIELD, that Nick Fury could turn to for help with Coulsen (so not bad guys), but is not just part of SHIELD.  SWORD fits the profile.

--Dave
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:14:15 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: March 06, 2014, 12:28:04 PM

...Since SWORD was  Joss Whedon creation in the comics, it's not as much of a stretch.  We need something that is operating in the same basic realm as SHIELD, that Nick Fury could turn to for help with Coulsen (so not bad guys), but is not just part of SHIELD.  SWORD fits the profile.

--Dave
Bingo.  That is why I suggested it as an option.  I'm thinking that S.W.O.R.D. is a super secret project that might be part of S.H.I.E.L.D., or might be separate. 

The other reason I think it could be S.W.O.R.D. is to coordinate with the GotG movie.  I think that MAoS will intersect with that movie in some fashion, and I think it will be due to Coulson and Skye's T.A.H.I.T.I. histories - and I'm still leaning towards Skye turning out to be an Inhuman - possibly even Crystal, although I've been looking for forshadowing of Crystal's powers and have not seen any (and I'm not certain ABC/Disney has rights to Crystal, or if they're tied to the F4 rights).

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: March 06, 2014, 06:19:54 PM

If it was a Frost Giant it'd be a lot bigger then that.  It's gotta be a Kree.  Here's a good theory:

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: March 07, 2014, 03:44:42 AM

I think it's just generic Kree #2,023 if that's what it is. The show is clearly leery of going to deep into geek, they're not going to start really Easter Egging it up too much.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: March 07, 2014, 09:37:20 AM

I think it's just generic Kree #2,023 if that's what it is. The show is clearly leery of going to deep into geek, they're not going to start really Easter Egging it up too much.
I think they're trying to earn their geek, if you will.  If they put a new super villians or new super hero into the show every week, it'd get ridiculous.  They seem to be using Season 1 to set the stage - to create an enviornment in which you can start to introduce more and more characters without it being a sudden and massive change in the world.  The comic Marvel universe was not built in a year.  The Marvel Cinematic Universe won't be, either.

As they blew the corpse up, I do not think that was Mahr Vehl.  However, Mahr Vehl, may make an appearance in the show before too long to set up Avengers II and Captain Marvel in the movie.

The way I see things going:

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: March 13, 2014, 02:53:37 PM

I am pretty forgiving of plot holes in shows like this but even i can't overlook it when they do incredibly stupid shit like sending male agents to fight the chick with the power to control males.  Specially for S.H.I.E.L.D which isn't lacking in kick ass females. Also i'm still not over the good guys thinking it is perfectly fine to mow down two security guards just doing their job in order to save one agent.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #883 on: March 13, 2014, 02:56:08 PM

Well, technically they sent Sif in after Lorelei and she ran outside where Ward was fighting the dude's outside. Unless you mean local law enforcement, which yeah, should have been female or not there but if you're going to get all logical...  why so serious?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: March 13, 2014, 05:14:22 PM

No, i mean Ward and Coulson should not have been there at all.  Not when they have perfectly capable and kick ass female options.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: March 13, 2014, 08:08:50 PM

Yeah, my 13-year old was yelling at the TV about that point even before we did. "Wait, why are those guys there are at all?"

I'm sorry, how can this have anything to do with the guy who is very very self-aware about these kinds of plot cliches? Love Whedon or hate him, the one thing you can say about him is that Whedon is almost painfully ready to deconstruct, mock or subvert something like "Oh, it's a magical lady who can make men do her bidding, let's send a male agent to stop her even if they've been warned about what could happen if they do..."

Plus, ok, so: they're in the bar, there's fightin', then Lorelei is out back (well, on the roof--which looked really weirdly fake) and well, what was Sif doing during the fairly lengthy confrontation with Ward behind the bar? There wasn't anybody left to fight, there wasn't much ambiguity about where Lorelei could be. Did Sif stop to have a beer? What was everyone in the front doing? They'd incapacitated all the bikers and cops. The pacing on this show is so weird sometimes. Most of the time. There is just a kind of amateur-hour feeling about it. Sometimes it feels to me like the unit filming it is the same people that make Disney's tween shows.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #886 on: March 13, 2014, 08:48:33 PM

They forget they have guns on a bi-weekly basis. The whole send men at the man controlling super villain is par for the course.

With that said, this episode is closer to what I expected from the show, getting a chance to put a little spotlight on minor marvel heroes and villains. Sif was a lot of fun, more of her please.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #887 on: March 17, 2014, 10:35:45 AM

No, i mean Ward and Coulson should not have been there at all.  Not when they have perfectly capable and kick ass female options.

Yup that is pretty much my complaint with that episode none of the males especially not the highly trained killer ones should have been within a mile of her knowing what she can do. But that would make for a short episode.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #888 on: March 17, 2014, 10:49:59 AM

Yup that is pretty much my complaint with that episode none of the males especially not the highly trained killer ones should have been within a mile of her knowing what she can do. But that would make for a short episode.

Not necessarily, it would've been simple enough to have them meet Lorelei before they run into Sif.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: March 17, 2014, 03:20:30 PM

Yep, have them be the first responders on Lorelei's initial landing/beamdown.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #890 on: March 17, 2014, 06:51:37 PM

Couple of nitpicks, but I enjoyed the episode. Sif was fun, they might be learning.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: March 17, 2014, 06:54:26 PM

Interesting, this is a quote from an interview with the makers of the new Captain America movie.

LYT: Did you have to coordinate with the Agents of SHIELD TV show at all, because obviously this is going to affect that in a very major way, and I'm waiting for the TV continuity to catch up, just so I can see how?

JR: They, you know-listen, you know, there's a funny story. They all came to watch the movie for the first time, and none of them knew what was going to happen in the film, and I think they were all looking at each other a little stunned at the end of the movie. But there was coordination-I'm talking about the actors on the show. There was coordination between Kevin [Feige] and Jed [Whedon] and Kevin is really the linchpin for all of that.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #892 on: March 18, 2014, 10:48:24 AM

...JR: They, you know-listen, you know, there's a funny story. They all came to watch the movie for the first time, and none of them knew what was going to happen in the film, and I think they were all looking at each other a little stunned at the end of the movie. But there was coordination-I'm talking about the actors on the show. There was coordination between Kevin [Feige] and Jed [Whedon] and Kevin is really the linchpin for all of that.
[/quote]I don't see anything surprising there: The actors on the show saw the movie and had no idea what was coming, but Feige and Whedon(s) were in coordination all along.  Feige gets pitches, but he does the same thing for the MCU that has been done for the comics universe for the past 40 years - he vetoes or modifies story ideas to maintain consistency between the different movies and tv series.

The actors on S.H.I.E.L.D. generally do not get to know anything about their show until they need to know it, much less to know anything about the movies.  I'm betting Ming-Na did not know ... Actors being in the dark is standard procedure.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #893 on: March 18, 2014, 11:31:51 AM

Actors should definitely know is their character is doing something offscreen, keeping future events in the dark is one thing but current ones being kept secret can really mess up a performance.

I'd be more upset about dethlok's "costume" personally.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: March 18, 2014, 12:59:15 PM

I'm not sure what you're worried about here... it sounds like the SHIELD actors have seen the film, and saw it around thew time they were shooting the episodes that will surround the film.  In other words, it sounds like the actors had the exact access you wanted them to have.

Personally, I think we'll see the characters from the show learn of the events of the Cap movie on screen.  And, I think we'll see the impact of the events of the movie directly flow through into the show.  Specifically, I think Garrett was written into the show as part of the plans for building upon the movie - and to give us a peer SHIELD agent that Coulson knows and likes that his team will need to be in conflict with after the movie has impacted the organization.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: March 18, 2014, 01:13:45 PM

I'm not sure what you're worried about here... it sounds like the SHIELD actors have seen the film, and saw it around thew time they were shooting the episodes that will surround the film.  In other words, it sounds like the actors had the exact access you wanted them to have.

Personally, I think we'll see the characters from the show learn of the events of the Cap movie on screen.  And, I think we'll see the impact of the events of the movie directly flow through into the show.  Specifically, I think Garrett was written into the show as part of the plans for building upon the movie - and to give us a peer SHIELD agent that Coulson knows and likes that his team will need to be in conflict with after the movie has impacted the organization.

I was talking about your spoiler, that's exactly what an actor should know.  I'm not sure whether they informed her ahead of time or not but they really should have.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #896 on: March 23, 2014, 09:53:54 PM

There was a panel at Paleyfest.   I did not see it, but I read a recap.  The one key thing I'll point out from the recap:

They say to watch the April 1 episode, see Cap II, then see the April 8 episode.  Cap II has a huge impact on the show.  This is not a surprise for most, but it was confirmed on the panel.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: March 29, 2014, 01:39:33 AM

The train episode that ends with Deathlok was just shown in the UK, felt like a totally different show written by grown ups.

More of this please.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #898 on: March 29, 2014, 09:06:40 AM

Agree.

Also, they shot her.  Lol.  That was funny.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: April 01, 2014, 05:48:40 PM

It took them like 20-30 episodes, but they finally remembered they have guns and support.  why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #900 on: April 02, 2014, 07:48:32 AM

Very nice use of scenes shot for the Winter Soldier in the show from last night's episode. They really are starting to go whole hog on integrating the show with the Cinematic Universe as more than just an ad for the movies. Me likey.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #901 on: April 02, 2014, 12:36:40 PM

Very nice use of scenes shot for the Winter Soldier in the show from last night's episode. They really are starting to go whole hog on integrating the show with the Cinematic Universe as more than just an ad for the movies. Me likey.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: April 02, 2014, 06:12:03 PM

I enjoyed this episode.  Good to see the agents in action, too bad Skye was brought forth again.  Deathlok kicking ass, Coulson being Coulson and Ward's shocking action.  I'm finally buying into the Clairvoyant mystery. 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: April 03, 2014, 07:31:21 AM

I think we have seen the Clairvoyant.  I was looking at who was not there when they found the 'Clairvoyant.'

I had been hoping it was the Leader... after hinting at his creation in The Incredible Hulk, and no Hulk movie on the way, I thought it would make good use of an available setup.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: April 04, 2014, 04:26:39 PM

It's a lot easier to hypothesize who the Clairvoyant is after you see Cap2.  My guess?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: April 05, 2014, 05:11:58 AM

That would be a really satisfying answer, but would imply more integration between the shows and movies than I'd give them credit for.

My guess is they'd prefer to keep distance between the show big bad and the specific big bad you mention, so the writers of the show can write a big lazy climax without the need for a line by line approval from the movie team.

I can imagine the clairvoyant being something like but not actually what you wrote. The same way centipede is a bit like IM3 AIM but not actually the same guys.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #906 on: April 05, 2014, 10:01:09 AM

They cant keep their distance from the movie, they're the same universe and the same timeline.   It would literally make zero sense if they kept the show status quo after Cap2 came out; zero.  It'd be like having Abrams' Trek premiering at the same time as TOS.  I think in the beginning of the thread someone mentioned some kind of quasi-24 type season.  It's highly likely the last 5 epis will be in this format (the next one Joss wrote coincidentally), and season 2 will get a thumbs up from the studio albeit  

I expect this thread to explode after more have seen the movie.  I also expect the show to get better and more people to watch - a lot more.
I kinda feel like I've been duped this entire time; bitching and moaning about a show that seemed really lackluster.  It's almost like they did it on purpose.  Kinda have to watch now, dammit.  I dont even really like comics.   Ohhhhh, I see.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: April 05, 2014, 01:01:58 PM

They won't keep the status quo, but the TV show is likely to react to the movie, not the other way around. And I can't see the TV show being allowed to have any meaningful impact on the organisation that guy you mentioned is part of.

If the TV show somehow becomes a seriously big deal maybe that will change.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: April 05, 2014, 01:13:06 PM

Also, the events of cap 2 don't affect this show nearly as much as people are suggesting. The nature of the ensemble won't change, the monsters of the week won't change, the personal challenges don't change, even their relationship with Mitch Hennessey need not change. Basically the only things that have to change are the half a dozen terrible movie references they have some intern insert in the script each week, certain locations they'll have to switch some logos on, and a few minor background characters will have a slightly different minor background role.

Post CA2 the show has a few new plot options and the 'independent team' schtick makes more sense. But they aren't forced to change anything they don't want to beyond the superficial.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: April 05, 2014, 10:46:49 PM

The formula of the show need not change(though it really should) but there is the whole title issue.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  
Jump to: