Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:03:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy Strategy Game (In Development) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy Strategy Game (In Development)  (Read 9808 times)
Ludo
Terracotta Army

on: April 28, 2013, 04:21:37 PM

I am a guy working on a turn-based fantasy 4x game in my spare time - and I have been doing so for a few years. It doesn't really have a name yet, the working title is Wizards & Warlords, but I am bad at naming, and prefer to spend time working on making the game awesome, then I am sure a good name will come in time.

My background is as a programmer working in the games industry for a major development studio, and this is my little pet project I work on during my spare time. It is starting to reach a state where it is playable, so I am reaching out for people to help me test it, and give me feedback and ideas on the design and content.

The goal is to create a game with a scope, scale and depth beyond what has previously been done in this genre. My inspiration is drawn from games like Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Fall From Heaven, Dominion, Europa Universalis, and Dwarf Fortress. Sadly turn-based fantasy games with an epic scale are a rarity these days. Most games released are simplistic and/or focused on tactical combat. So I set out to create a game that I myself would love to play. The graphics are rather abominable as I am a programmer, and not an artist, and I prefer to spend time on coding, not drawing stuff that is just ugly anyway. Maybe I will try get some help for graphics in the future.

The feature set I am planning for the initial release:
* Turn-based 4x fantasy strategy game.
* Randomly generated worlds, with randomly generated races, cultures, pantheons and organizations.
* Different games modes. You can play as a warlord bent on conquest and empire building, a wizard with enigmatic goals or as a demigod trying to ascend to godhood.
* Research spells and rituals in wizard mode.
* As a warlord you research cultural and military advances, guiding the progress of your people so your armies grow mighty enough to conquer the world.
* As a demigod as you gain followers you can transform the world and its inhabitants.
* When playing as a wizard, you research spells and rituals of increasing power. Seek out ancient artifacts, forbidden tomes and forge pacts with otherplanar creatures.
* Defend against planar invasions, or take the fight to the alternate planes in search of arcane power, riches or military allies.
* Random events to spice up gameplay and help weave interesting stories.
* Hidden cults plot and scheme. Uncover their hidden agendas, fight their intrigues or even try to manipulate them into becoming your pawns.
* Hire mercenary sellswords, summon magical allies or raise regiments from your towns and castles. Enhance regiments with attachments and upgrades.
* Recruit mighty heroes and send them to explore dungeons, ancient ruins and forgotten temples - or place them in charge of your armies and conquer the realms.
* Ancient evils slumber. Beware waking them or taking too long to complete your goals. Defend your holdings against all consuming gigantic oozes, the mad ghoul king, eldritch horrors, or other ancient evils of great power.
* Customizable settings: size of the world, cultural and racial variety, planar invasions frequency, allowed modes (wizard, warlord, demigod), how dangerous the world is, and many other things.
* Synchronous and asynchronous multiplayer.

Currently it only runs on windows, but the plan is to have it run anywhere with Mono available.

Anyone interested in helping me test and assist me with input/ideas/opinions, use google or whatever black magics you prefer to locate my blog. I have taken down the link I originally posted in respect of the rules of this site.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:30:19 PM by Ludo »
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 04:02:16 AM

Welcome, Ludo.

I haven't actually downloadead anything yet*, but here is the thread this guy made at the Dwarf Fortress forums.
I'm in the midst of reading the blog. If nothing else, this guy has put in way too much effort into this for the payload to be a keylogger.

* I am downloading the NW client at the moment

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:29:24 AM

I've downloaded it now, and started up a couple games. Ludo, have you got a forum set up yet, and/or a preferred method of receiving feedback?

Ludo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:49:09 AM

Thanks for the welcome! I have been an f13 lurker for several years, but as a forumite I tend to be more of a lurker than a poster, so I never really posted anything.

<snip>

The challenge right now is prioritizing what order to work on the various bits to bring it to a state where one can actually have a more interesting experience playing the game. I tend to intersperse this necessary work with things that might not be quite as necessary, but which are really fun to do, which I eventually want in the game anyway. Doing this in my sparetime managing motivation is important, so that I can continously work at bringing it closer to completion.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:47:14 AM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:47:06 AM

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but "advertising here" will require posting here. What you've currently done amounts to little more than spam and if you've lurked long enough, you should know that. I've removed the link to your forum, but don't take that as aggression, people are treated pretty evenly here - which you should also know.
Ludo
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 12:28:52 PM

Fair enough - my lurking has mostly considered of reading posts, not rules for posting, which is probably a failing on my part seeing as I did make a post, and should have preceded that by making sure I wasn't overstepping any boundaries. I have removed the link in my original post, as I assume it was an oversight that you only removed the link in my second post.

I am aware that first posting what is basically advertisement is considered bad form and spam on many forums, but I was hoping it was ok since I am just a random guy posting about an indie project on a subforum about game design/development. I try to take care not to be spammy when posting about my game, I apologize that I miscalculated in this instance. The slap on the wrist was not unwarranted.

Anyways, if anyone feels what I am working is of interest google should help you find your way to the forum or blog. Hopefully at some point my game will be interesting enough to play that someone with a bit more of a posting history will post about it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:30:52 PM by Ludo »
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 01:23:34 PM

Ludo
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 02:48:48 PM

lulz

Or well, uh, conventions for proper posting that I am too daft to pick up on :)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 03:44:24 PM

I wasn't lulz-ing at you, but rather at the notion that the rules are actually tabulated somewhere  awesome, for real

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 08:17:02 AM

Rule 0 is you need to be perceptive enough to learn the rules before you get banned for violating them too many times.   awesome, for real  If all the rules got spelled out they wouldn't be as effective in weeding out dumbasses.  Is how I look at it.

It's kind of like real life except there aren't safety labels on everything that will get you banned if you put it in your mouth.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:18:46 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy Strategy Game (In Development)  
Jump to: