Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:30:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  (Read 49746 times)
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: November 04, 2017, 12:51:51 PM

There's been quite a change to how you progress through levels. Previously they made 50-56 easier, and then this recent patch were making the 59-61 lesser as well. There's also been recent changes that enable significantly more silvers (like 100s of millions) through quests, and are also many more changes and new items that drop (Asula set in Mediah areas), or you receive through quests (like mid 30 gears -and a lvl 50 to 54 set of off hand & main armor).

There is still a lot of content, and also grinding, but honestly what drives the majority of people away is the enhancement of gear. Past 58, and with TRI gear being so difficult to enhance it really tends to make everything at that level very counter-productive. For $6 though there's a ton of content, and casual life skills things to putter around with, and is what I'd mostly done.

This week however isn't a particularly good one to buy the game or return though, because the two most recent patches have included some sort of change in their net code that seems to be making connections extremely unstable. The servers were mostly crowded prior to Halloween, but since this weds it's been barely any population, with 1-3 showing Crowded and most channels empty on NA server. There's lots of forum threads and an announcement about "ISP issues" but I am kinda convinced (from my own instability) that the game changed how it transmitted to the client which is presenting itself mostly as connection problems.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #491 on: November 05, 2017, 07:51:44 PM

Progress is incredibly fast now. Maybe too fast, but considering how grindy the game would be otherwise I think it all feels right at the moment. It rains XP and money, and as a result the grind at least until the late 50s is completely optional.

I haven't had any problem with disconnections or crowded servers anyway. It is also worth noting that there are many "servers" but they are just instances of the some ONE server. Which is great because you can pick if you want to see a lot of people moving around you (crowded server) or just enjoy the content for yourself without having to fight for resources.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: November 05, 2017, 09:24:13 PM

Progress is incredibly fast now. Maybe too fast, but considering how grindy the game would be otherwise I think it all feels right at the moment. It rains XP and money, and as a result the grind at least until the late 50s is completely optional.
See, but up until last Thursday, every channel was routinely showing "Crowded", excepting the head-start/boost servers (Olvia). Since the update the connection issues have dramatically trimmed much of the populations, and of course I speak of this from personal experience since I can't remain in the game for more than a few minutes in cities where players congregate. There wasn't really "crowding" but there's definitely a much lower count of afk people in major cities, and less overall populations than just 2 weeks ago.

I haven't had any problem with disconnections or crowded servers anyway. It is also worth noting that there are many "servers" but they are just instances of the some ONE server. Which is great because you can pick if you want to see a lot of people moving around you (crowded server) or just enjoy the content for yourself without having to fight for resources.
The way they designed channels make it really easy to just avoid most PVP if you want to, but there still really aren't many places to go toward the higher levels, which does end up leading to competition for "camps".. Now though, it's more about "rotations", where a solo player or group will claim a series of spawns that they rotate through, and some people will pvp you just for being near "their" mobs.

I personally like many things about the game, especially the variety of casual lifeskills or things to do. The combat is very smooth and satisfying feeling, but it definitely does a number on my carpal tunnel if I combat grind too much. I also am not trying to make it to max level because of that wrist/finger pain, and instead do little bits of combat combined with many hours of the game doing things while minimized (cooking, leveling horses, processing, etc.).

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: November 05, 2017, 10:14:30 PM

Ah, funny side note: I recently found out that there's NO max level  awesome, for real

The highest level 62 player is ~62.20 he is about 14-16 months out of level 63.
Levelling from 62-63 takes about 21 months.

And this is the screenshot of a statement made by a GM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: November 06, 2017, 01:21:41 PM

I downloaded this to play again after a year of not playing.

I have to pick a class. DK, striker, ninja? Can't decide. Maybe a valk.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: November 06, 2017, 01:55:55 PM

DK and Striker are both very good with PvE, and have some nice combos and abilities that make them easy to progress with and that damage large groups of mobs (AoE). Striker right now is slightly OP, even after a slight nerf to their accuracy in the recent update. Striker kind of is the meta now, and in PvP they are one of the classes that can compete against witches/wizards (which was the previous PvP meta class).

Ninja (and sister class Kuno) is a very mobile and fast class, more about quick stealth attacking at melee range and then using evades to return back to range. I personally like this class, but it definitely isn't as easy to clear mobs in PvE as a DK, Striker, or witch/wiz can. They also aren't great at PvP except maybe in a support capacity.

The Valk is a class I really want to like, and supposed to be a tanky damage dealing class, but right now their accuracy and AoE ability just doesn't stack up to some other classes. A well geared Valk is maybe able to sustain PvP with their tankiness but I really wouldn't consider them unless you really like their combos and abilities. They also seem to not really open up many AoE and massive damage attacks until post Awakening (after lvl 56) when their weapon goes from Longsword to Lancia.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: November 06, 2017, 02:00:43 PM

My main is a Valk. Up to level 50 or so it's a lot of fun, mobs just explode no matter what button I am mashing. But that can be said for every single class in the game, at least until level 55.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: November 06, 2017, 02:03:11 PM

Yeah. I have a 55zerker, 50 tamer, 40 something maehwa and witch.

Looking to play one of the newer classes. I had to delete some characters last right and I forgot I had to wait 24 hours.

I need to pick one class or else I'll just waste my time in character creation.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: November 06, 2017, 02:16:25 PM

/shrug
I have 13 characters, and the only class missing is Wizard.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #499 on: November 12, 2017, 12:04:21 PM

I picked this up and have NO IDEA what to really do besides follow the quests around. The combat is pretty cool.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: November 12, 2017, 12:42:43 PM

Basics are, in top left near "Level" are 3 bars. Top is combat experience, middle is energy, bottom is contribution. Across the top of the screen is bar for progress through the Level. You get Energy exp from knowledge and quests, you get contribution exp from questing or turn ins of by products from professions.

You use contribution points to "invest" in nodes across the map (by visiting node mgr) or in buildings in towns (can buy cp things of towns anyplace using map). Linking nodes allows you to get distance bonuses with trade and send workers to linked nodes to collect items (great for some passive income). Town buildings also allow for creating items (armor, tools, weapons) or trade crates, etc with workers, or can be turned into lodgings, residence or storage space.

If you open the P (professions) panel it has experience bars for all the different types of lifeskills toward the bottom. Life skills are mainly where you'll spend energy. Gathering is basically all the tools at General vendors (lumbering axe, pickaxe, etc). Leveling lifeskill Gather you have a higher chance to not spend energy gathering, as well as more things or count of things you receive. Mining after artisan for example you would get not only rough stone, and metals, but a slight chance for gold, gems, or the like.

Other things you can spend energy on are rolling workers, doing mini games, using Channel chat (1 energy per msg lol), or going to the "Night vendors" in cities to sell 50 energy to get a possible item buy chance (great for some black stones now). You also can bottle energy, but only from Alustin in Velia.

The leveling of other stats in your Professions panel, Like Health, Stamina, and Strength, are also things you should consider progressing. Strength will help you carry more, and can be leveled using a trade pack auto loop, and Health increases your overall health/mana pools (increased by eating foods). Stamina is "Breath" experience, which is basically running with shift held down all the time (and maybe in loops). There's also mini games for some of these too. ;)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  
Jump to: