Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  (Read 191859 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #280 on: March 02, 2016, 07:32:43 AM

Uh? That was my point. Considering it is a rolling headstart, there is no way to figure out what the real population on the servers will be until tomorrow, when the final flood gate opens. And when I wrote that post, only the 100€ tier people were in.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: March 02, 2016, 08:13:36 AM

Uh? That was my point. Considering it is a rolling headstart, there is no way to figure out what the real population on the servers will be until tomorrow, when the final flood gate opens. And when I wrote that post, only the 100€ tier people were in.

Ah sorry, I thought I was up to date on the thread when I clicked to latest post.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: March 02, 2016, 09:01:08 AM

If only there was some way to see when a post was made. Like a stamp, which shows time. Man, scientists need to get on this one why so serious?

Anyways, fuck fishing. Fuck node management. Fuck crafting. They're time consuming as hell, and yet I find myself enjoying the crafting more than any other game before to a point that I'm just taking a slow ride to 50. It's actually kind of refreshing.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #283 on: March 02, 2016, 10:09:21 AM

I bought a new gfx card so I should be able to play this soon.  I had to get more power for it.  Bleh.  Tax refund gone in a micro second.  :(  Do we have like guilds or whatever for this game?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:39 AM

I have 20 hours spent in the game so far, and I am combat level 15. Which I attained in the first 3 hours.  awesome, for real

Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: March 02, 2016, 06:06:27 PM

I've gotten about 2-3 levels just from all the non-combat things I've been doing. I've also gotten sucked into farming and now have 5 farms outside of heidel that I am constantly running back to to make sure my precious greenlings don't get overgrown or eaten by bugs. I don't quite 'get' farming though, so I'm gonna have to read a guide on it. My best skill ups have been random chance ones from getting 'Spirit Leaves' after I kill bugs that have infected a plant. One got me 40% of my farming level, then it jumped up by 80% the second time. Wheat's probably terrible for farming for actual skill though, but atleast I'm getting plenty of ingredients for fertilzer and beer.

Game's fun, should have just named myself the gentle green giant.

EDIT: And now I just found a magical stick from pruning that shot my farming skill up another 50%, weird.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:10:50 PM by Bhazrak »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #286 on: March 03, 2016, 08:12:52 AM

I have 20 hours spent in the game so far, and I am combat level 15. Which I attained in the first 3 hours.  awesome, for real

So you got lvl 15 in a few hours and spent 17 hours doing other stuff.  I like that!  I haven't tried the game yet.  I broke my computer.  :(

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: March 03, 2016, 09:47:42 AM

Ugh, so not only are classes genderlocked 5 out of 8 are female? that is so fucking annoying.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #288 on: March 03, 2016, 09:59:56 AM

Ugh, so not only are classes genderlocked 5 out of 8 are female? that is so fucking annoying Korean.

FTFY  why so serious?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: March 03, 2016, 11:11:33 AM

Levelling gets really slow after 25 or so.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: March 03, 2016, 11:17:15 AM

And by slow, you mean, 1-50 finished in 8 hours in a dedicated group pushing to do so.  15 is average from what I hear if you're actively trying and group up.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: March 03, 2016, 12:12:53 PM

With the hordes of people around now, I'd be surprised if even 15-20 hours is manageable any more.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: March 03, 2016, 12:54:01 PM

I'm confused. Are we really complaining about not being able to get to max level in about three days?

hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: March 03, 2016, 06:59:33 PM

I have to say, this game is forgitable.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: March 03, 2016, 07:08:31 PM

I have to say, this game is forgitable.

I have to ask two questions. First, how do you consistently ignore the spell checker? I mean come on man, put just a tiny bit of effort into it for us. Second, why do you feel that the game is forgettable?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: March 03, 2016, 07:39:16 PM

Uh compared to tera, compares to blade and soul. (ive played both today and black desert a bit). Theres no comparison. Its a weaker game. Done.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: March 03, 2016, 11:55:16 PM

Hahaha.

Ok, NO. The combat is on par with both games if not better. And then, on top of the combat, there's an immense amount of things those games wouldn't even have if they tried combining their efforts together for a decade. This coming from someone who thinks both TERA and Blade & Soul were more than fine. And bear with me, I am not even saying that Black Desert is better, cause that's a matter of taste I guess. It is simply different enough and so bigger that "weaker game" is pretty much the most ridiculous comment one could make when comparing it to two traditional theme parks only saved by the wonderful execution of the combat portion.

All I can tell from your post is that you prefer quest hubs, instanced dungeons and a clear vertical progression path. Good for you. Now let's forget your opinion.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: March 04, 2016, 01:26:27 AM

So, during the Closed Beta Test 2 I managed to snag 3 keys to this (one gifted to me, one I won in a giveaway, and one mailed to my account, that I'd applied for >after I'd already redeemed one). I barely was able to play 5-6 hrs during that weekend, but what I did see made me want to try more, yet also didn't really inspire me enough to think anything other than "when F2P" or "at a severe discount in a year". I just today won a Guest pass to get another 7 days, but I really can't see me finding anything (even massive crafting diversions or housing) that will make my initial opinions change.

The combat was very mouse clicky (carpal tunnel inducing pain 4 me) and although it was pretty with lots of sparkly effects going on, it didn't really seem any different to me than Tera or Blade and Soul (I'd even say Blade and Soul felt the most varied in terms of attacks). The classes of Black Desert all had different attacks, but all the combos seemed damned near exact in BDO regardless of class, and for the most part it seemed every class had only one optimal or expected build that couldn't really make me unique compared to all the other clones of my exact class. It also seemed overly busy, with too many players all competing for resources and spawns, with all of us jammed into a not very large and varied world compared to Tera and Blade and Soul. If getting kill stolen throughout the entire game for the same quests everyone is funneled into, it definitely would be bland and frustrating way too soon for me.

All these games have twitch like combat, with really linear progression, and no real differences between class origin, starting areas, or quest-lines , with only tons of repetitive gameplay to look forward to, imo. Since I prefer trying multiple classes and progressing through storylines or exploring, when all of these games had me doing the exact same things regardless of class (Tera being the one exception and only after I think it was lvl 20), none of them really grabbed me and made me want to adventure through them. In the 5-6 hours during Black Desert's CBT2 I had 3 character classes all to 15, and had nearly exact experiences with all 3 characters EXCEPT that they had different combat effects and animations.  

Black Desert also doesn't really appeal to me because there is no real content, dungeons or raids, with mostly just strings of really bad quests (that are the same regardless of class from what I saw) in one of the most horrible FULL SCREEN quest UIs I have ever seen. Localization and terrible voice-overs certainly made this even worse. The ghost creature was annoying to me, and not explained enough in the early game, so along with people literally bumping into one another tripping over the same content or limited resources/NPCs, (every character and NPC getting anyplace near one another kind of rudely body check you? and stand u up briefly stopping you? Huh?) I really can't see grinding through this being a "fun" experience.

I'd have done more testing, and probably will in the next 6 days, but from what I've seen and heard I can be level 50 probably before my 7 day guest key expires, and only have grinding, crafting or PvP to look forward to... So, basically even more reason to keep me from investing. Maybe after their content catches up with the Korean version or at a steep discount, but for now Tera and it's f2p is probably more appealing than Black Desert is.

I could spend hours in the Black Desert character creator, though, and probably will now that I'm done downloading the gigs of data over again.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:29:20 AM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: March 04, 2016, 02:11:20 AM

Just to clarify again: Black Desert does NOT offer ANYTHING to those looking for the traditional theme park / WoW / EQ formula. NOTHING. The loot is crap, there are no instanced dungeons, no bosses, no PvE end game whatsoever. If that is what you are looking for, the game will look "empty of content".

It's a design choice though. It just means the game is not for you. Clearly clearly something they didn't advertise too much because why not snag some extra money? But there's a reason why expansion after expansion they still refuse to craete instanced dungeons or simply scatter some bosses around the newest open ones.

In Black Desert the ONLY end-game that I know of is PvP warring over castles and nodes, and/or becoming a rich merchant or crafter.
You know what is it inspired to? EVE Online and SWG. Not WoW, or Tera or B&S.

Black Desert is much more about its Trading/Crafting/Spreadsheet simulation in a "realistic" world than it is about the usual things you do in MMORPGs. Or at least it's 50/50. And that's why it is so confusing. There is a lot of content. Just not the kind of content most people expect or were looking for. It tries to draw people in with graphics and the stellar technical execution of everything, but I would say that design wise it's almost a niche game.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:06:04 AM by Falconeer »

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #299 on: March 04, 2016, 08:43:59 AM

Maybe it's because I haven't played a Korean MMO in forever, but this game is weird as fuck. I have no idea what I'm even doing.

-Rasix
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #300 on: March 04, 2016, 08:53:25 AM

If anyone ends up with a guest pass they don't have a need for, I would like to try this game.

Please and thanks!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #301 on: March 04, 2016, 09:23:08 AM

I should have two guest passes but I haven't got any preorder stuff yet.  I might be buggy!

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #302 on: March 04, 2016, 09:28:13 AM

Maybe it's because I haven't played a Korean MMO in forever, but this game is weird as fuck. I have no idea what I'm even doing.

THIS  swamp poop

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: March 04, 2016, 12:52:05 PM

Uninstalling and asking for a refund, I hope. What ARE you doing?
Rasix

Reply #304 on: March 04, 2016, 12:53:25 PM

Free trial.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #305 on: March 04, 2016, 01:43:36 PM

I played for an hour or so today.  This game makes me cry in my soup.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: March 04, 2016, 01:44:00 PM

But we both know you'll inevitably blame me when you end up buying it.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Rasix

Reply #307 on: March 04, 2016, 01:49:11 PM

That's a given. 

It's actually interesting enough to at least play through the trial. It's just confusing, and I'm not really sure if I'll like it or not once the whole picture is apparent.  I had a very poor initial impression of Warframe but ended up loving that.

At worst it's a 1 week break from playing D3.

-Rasix
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: March 04, 2016, 02:08:11 PM

It's a giant absolutely confusing mess.  I finally got my head completely wrapped around the crafting and worker situation last night, and holy shit I can't stop playing now.  I went to bed way way too late after setting up the start of a copper refinement pipeline, and I still have to do a bunch more to pad it out tonight if I get time.  I definitely don't give two shits about the combat or the pvp in this game even if they are good now that the crafting stuff has it's hooks into me.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: March 05, 2016, 04:55:59 AM

But we both know you'll inevitably blame me when you end up buying it.   Ohhhhh, I see.
That sounds familiar!  awesome, for real
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #310 on: March 05, 2016, 06:07:38 AM

It's a giant absolutely confusing mess.  I finally got my head completely wrapped around the crafting and worker situation last night, and holy shit I can't stop playing now.  I went to bed way way too late after setting up the start of a copper refinement pipeline, and I still have to do a bunch more to pad it out tonight if I get time.  I definitely don't give two shits about the combat or the pvp in this game even if they are good now that the crafting stuff has it's hooks into me.

I hope this happens to me!  Even though I'm having a bit of a problem sorting stuff out right now, it's hard to stop looking at this game.  It's really pretty.  I still haven't figured out the free guest passes and other stuff.  I have a feeling I'm gonna have to read something, aren't I? 

I'll go do that now.  :(

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: March 05, 2016, 08:00:58 AM

Oh yes, I have two guest passes. So if anyone wants one, post here and I'll PM a code to you.

They last for seven days and I think the advantage is simply that they let you try out the game without having to pay (for anyone who doesn't know, the game is is buy to play, no sub, cash shop).

The servers are new but everything seems to be stable. No particular reason to wait, although the zones are busy with people levelling which may be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: March 05, 2016, 10:19:22 AM

I'll take a guest pass; didn't get around to trying it in the beta.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: March 05, 2016, 10:48:19 AM

I'll take a guest pass; didn't get around to trying it in the beta.

Sent - one left
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: March 05, 2016, 10:50:58 AM

Thanks mate.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  
Jump to: