Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:05:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  (Read 191856 times)
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: December 21, 2015, 04:32:03 AM

Are your workers and farms and stuff vulnerable to PvP at all?  If so can you log in to find over night all your stuff has been killed/destroyed/stolen whatever?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #176 on: December 21, 2015, 05:09:23 AM

No they aren't. The only thing that is vulnerable to PvP is yourself when you are moving around trade packs.

It is also worth mentioning that Black Desert doesn't provide the same kind of excitement that you can only get out of persistent house-building like in UO, SWG and more recently Archeage. Nothing beats finding your own piece of land and building houses and gardens in a non-instanced fashion. Archeage truly was/is a great game. It just fell short due to some highly questionable design decisions concerning the late game.

Black Desert seems to offer a lot, but judging from what everyone say it suffers very similar problems in the late game. Specifically, it is said that there's close to no group content at all, and player interaction is almost non-existent outside of Guild vs Guild warring. Lots of patches are coming out in Korea, but it's hard to say how much of that is being changed and when it'll make it to the English version.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: January 19, 2016, 06:00:53 AM

Character Creation tool available as a standalone download. This is an infinite amount of levels of awesome, and the best (and cheapest) advertising ever that an MMORPG company came up with... since City of Heroes.

awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/events/ccm/?trcode=PRCCM1

EDIT: Characters made this way will be available to be imported in the final game.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:04:13 AM by Falconeer »

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: January 19, 2016, 07:24:11 AM

That'll keep creepers occupied for years.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: January 20, 2016, 12:45:25 AM

The character creator is 6 GB and requires an account login?

It's lucky it's so pretty.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: January 22, 2016, 12:46:30 AM

From the Character Creator, someone has crafted Rey.

Or, you know, Charlie Sheen.  swamp poop

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:03:24 AM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: February 01, 2016, 04:42:00 PM

Official launch date: March 3rd.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6rmBCMBJWs

Here for a chance to join the last beta stage: https://www.blackdesertonline.com/events/cbt2/ApplyForm.html

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: February 03, 2016, 03:36:10 PM

If you downloaded the Character Creator, they have a contest to enter to win some Beta keys, which closes Feb 5th.

The Beast phase of the Beauty and the Beast Event

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: February 04, 2016, 02:54:03 AM

An interesting article on why you should care about Black Desert. My own personal addition is a concern I've expressed about longevity, and the end game.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/03/black-desert-online-preview/

I am bored to death of MMORPGs. Not their potential mind you, but the execution. The seemingly endless chains of quests, the sole focus on murdering everything that doesn’t give you a quest (...).

This is exactly what I was expecting to see when I sat down and hesitantly logged into Black Desert Online for the first time. Here we go again, I thought. But within my first hour of playing, Black Desert (...) made me feel something that I haven’t felt while playing an MMORPG in a very long time: I felt lost. The good kind of lost.

EDIT: Since launch is now imminent, I also feel like pointing you all back to my lenghty notes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:58:17 AM by Falconeer »

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #184 on: February 04, 2016, 09:28:01 AM

That article boils down to "i expected to get the usual chains of quests but instead got the usual chains of quests gated with jumping through undocumented bullshit hoops to unlock them, so it's all new and exciting".

edit: come to think of it talking with NPCs as preliminary to get quests dates back as far as Everquest, if i'm not mistaken. And turning that into a mini-game was supposed to be major point ("diplomacy sphere") of that whatitsname Everquest successor that flopped pretty bad, no?

edit2: Vanguard! that's the flop's name, google to the rescue Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:34:49 AM by tmp »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #185 on: February 04, 2016, 05:30:09 PM

giggle

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: February 04, 2016, 06:01:00 PM

I keep telling myself, "It's a Korean MMO, you know what happens with these things", but I like a lot of the more worldly aspects this seems to have, even if they become just another grind/frivolous thing in the long run. Gonna try and get into its final beta before buying it though.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: February 04, 2016, 11:33:40 PM

Tmp has some points on that review. That said, you can read my notes and see what's new here and worth taking a look at. If anything, as I said before, Black Desert tries a few new things, or tries to put a twist on a lot of old things, and that's definitely something for a MMORPG these days. It could not be enough to make the genre interesting again, or make it stick (the end game as previously mentioned seems to be only about PvP and a guild of 20+ is pretty much mandatory), but there's clearly enough fresh stuff, on top of unbelievable graphics and a fantastic combat, to make it worth a look. Too bad it has a purchase price.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: February 09, 2016, 08:42:53 AM

PSA for those with pre-orders: 1pm est is when name reservation goes live. So 1.25 hours from now.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: February 09, 2016, 09:16:02 AM

PSA for those with pre-orders: 1pm est is when name reservation goes live. So 1.25 hours from now.

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/shop/preorder/namereservation/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: February 09, 2016, 10:08:22 AM

Name Registration server already collapsed  why so serious?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #191 on: February 09, 2016, 11:14:35 AM

I have this game.  Well, not yet, obviously.  I did get names though.  My old standby, Stabitha, and the surname, Apple.  Because A is for... and I couldn't come up with anything else because my brain is tired today.  So, I'll be using fruit oriented names for any other character I might eventually create.  I hope this game is worth the 0 dollars I paid for it!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: February 09, 2016, 11:46:12 AM

I want to try this game, but I am not sure I want to pay dollars for it yet.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: February 09, 2016, 11:48:15 AM

Reserved my name: First name Palmer, family name Palmer

Apparently archers are a bit overpowered so that's what I'm going for.

Here's my effort on the character creator

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #194 on: February 09, 2016, 11:50:10 AM

I want to try this game, but I am not sure I want to pay dollars for it yet.

The package I have comes with 2 extra beta keys so I can send you one.  I don't know when beta starts... soon-ish, I think.

Edit:  oops.  It's for 7 days of gameplay, not beta.  I don't know when the game is launched, either.  :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:54:45 AM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: February 09, 2016, 12:06:27 PM

So yeah, name reservation was handled poorly.
Reserved my name: First name Palmer, family name Palmer

Apparently archers are a bit overpowered so that's what I'm going for.

Here's my effort on the character creator

http://i.imgur.com/dxL2n7S.png

Nice. I only messed with it a little, but I'll figure something out before beta. Until then here's the template for Obama - The Warrior of Change!

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: February 09, 2016, 01:16:43 PM

He looks like a nice friendly guy, who could crush your skull with his bare hands.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: February 09, 2016, 01:47:49 PM

I have to admit, the avatars in this game look gorgeous. I do wonder how much soul draining grinding there is and whether open world PVP will be as annoying as it usually is.

"Hi new peson!" *gank!*

And I don't want to hear "oh it affects your karma" because I've never seen that actually work as a deterrent.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: February 10, 2016, 09:08:58 AM

I have to admit, the avatars in this game look gorgeous. I do wonder how much soul draining grinding there is and whether open world PVP will be as annoying as it usually is.

Has there ever been an MMO out of Korea that wasn't a soul-crushing grind?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #199 on: February 10, 2016, 09:20:25 AM

Has there ever been an MMO out of Korea that wasn't a soul-crushing grind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cgbZqR2AGI

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: February 10, 2016, 09:58:44 AM

There has been plenty. The Korean grind is actually a trope from the past, especially when it comes to those ported to the West. It's like saying: "Oh I don't like western MMOs because when you aggro a mob they all follow you like a train to the zone line". Their MMORPGs now all follow the WoW formula (quest grind), and the leveling curve is way way faster than vanilla WoW for example. I guess you haven't played a Korean MMORPG in the last ten years.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:00:25 AM by Falconeer »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: February 10, 2016, 11:11:31 AM

Just because they moved the soul crushing grind out of leveling and into other areas of the game doesn't mean it's not there.

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: February 10, 2016, 11:37:38 AM

The grind is there in the same measure it is there in ANY other MMORPG in existence. West, East, South, North, all that slighty changes now is the character style and the way to get the best end gear. You are still gotta grind your eyes out in ANY MMORPG no matter the country of origin when you get to the level cap if you want to get new stuff.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: February 10, 2016, 11:46:08 AM

Ok, so the grind is covered. And the PvP? Is it a Shadowbane/UO style gankfest?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: February 10, 2016, 11:47:33 AM

What Threash said. The average KMMO is way more punishing in terms of time-to-acquire endgame gear; it's usually just hidden behind an awful RNG crafting or enchanting system.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: February 10, 2016, 12:48:22 PM

Nope Riggswolfe. The open PvP is really regulated by the karma system, in fact the forums are on fire as they say the karma system is so punishing that the game basically has NO open PvP. It's quite true: you can kill whoever you want, but you will get such a negative karma hit that after three ganks you are flagged permanently, which means a potential enchant loss on death, and to be sent to prison town to grind for freedom. On top of that, ganking basically gives you nothing. Anyway, the devs are discussing some changes to this system because they are aware their target audience seems disappointed with it, and they are considering a bounty system where you can hire a PK to kill another PK. It's convoluted and I think it's quite crap, we'll see. I don't think they will really do it.

PvP though is supposed to be the endgame, in the shape of Castle sieges and Node Wars. The former are supposed to be for guilds of 60+ members, and the smaller Node Wars apparently require at least 20 members to have a shot.

As you can see, there isn't much room for smaller groups to PvP and since the end game is basically the PvP you can see why a lot of people are concerned about the future of the game once they hit the cap.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:51:26 PM by Falconeer »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: February 10, 2016, 12:54:31 PM

PvP though is supposed to be the endgame, in the shape of Castle sieges and Node Wars. The former are supposed to be for guilds of 60+ members, and the smaller Node Wars apparently require at least 20 members to have a shot.

As you can see, there isn't much room for smaller groups to PvP and since the end game is basically the PvP you can see why a lot of people are concerned about the future of the game once they hit the cap.
Ugh. Thanks for posting that; I've been jonesing for an MMO a bit lately but now I know not to bother with this one.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: February 10, 2016, 05:40:03 PM

Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: February 10, 2016, 07:28:38 PM

The PvP part with all the guild vs. guild going on will probably be what pushes me away eventually, but I'll be trying out everything and maybe some of the non-combat oriented pve aspects will keep me around.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: February 11, 2016, 03:51:44 AM

The game looks a bit intriguing. I wish I could beta test it before making a decision whether or not to buy it. I still have a sneaky suspicion that when it goes live it is going to devolve into a UO-style gankfest which I'd find to be less than entertaining.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  
Jump to: