Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:53:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  (Read 191869 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #105 on: December 24, 2014, 04:52:32 PM

Holy shit  Heart In love In love

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #106 on: December 24, 2014, 07:02:32 PM

Similar to Vindictus is also the fact that your class defines your gender and race, so archers are all elf women, warriors are human men, and so on.

It's almost 2015 and still with this shit?  Especially after that insanely awesome character generator.  
It's not like there was some revolutionary breakthrough in 2014 that led to artists being able to churn out content dozen+ times faster than before.

If anything, the extra fidelity only means things got slower.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: December 24, 2014, 08:46:37 PM

They already have the content, there is no reason to gender lock classes.  It is actually limiting your already made content for no reason at all.

I am the .00000001428%
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: December 24, 2014, 09:50:57 PM

It would probably double the amount of combat animations required as most would need male/female versions, but yeah - if you're sinking whatever crazy amount of resources these people are into your art production, I don't know why that feature in particular would be the one to make your team say "no, too much effort."
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: December 25, 2014, 09:35:30 AM

And finally F13 finds the one minute thing that makes the game unplayable for them and then dismisses the game as shit. Congrats guys, you're all dumber now.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: December 25, 2014, 10:08:04 AM

They already have the content, there is no reason to gender lock classes.  It is actually limiting your already made content for no reason at all.
Unless the existing characters of both genders use the same outfits then no, they don't -- for each outfit for say, female elf archer they'd need to make equivalent of it for male elf archer. And then ones for both male and female human and whatever other races they have, which may be more or less complicated depending how much of body differences there's between the races.

Not to look too far for examples, that's pretty much why even TERA didn't make their new added class available for all races/gender combos like they did with their original content. They simply didn't have the manpower for it (anymore)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:11:32 AM by tmp »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #111 on: December 25, 2014, 10:16:58 AM

And finally F13 finds the one minute thing that makes the game unplayable for them and then dismisses the game as shit. Congrats guys, you're all dumber now.

Except no one did that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: December 25, 2014, 10:41:26 AM

It would probably double the amount of combat animations required as most would need male/female versions, but yeah - if you're sinking whatever crazy amount of resources these people are into your art production, I don't know why that feature in particular would be the one to make your team say "no, too much effort."
double the amount of combat animations
no, too much effort.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #113 on: December 25, 2014, 11:29:21 AM

Except no one did that.

I kinda did, and I'm okay with it.  I'm not dismissing it as shit, but I'm disappointed they are going to limit the classes based on gender because it promotes sexist attitudes.  Only the men can be warriors and only the women can be archers?  Silly and irresponsible design.

It's almost 2015 and we can do better.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: December 25, 2014, 12:13:08 PM

I didn't say the game was shit, i said gender locking is a deal breaker for me. 

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #115 on: December 25, 2014, 01:12:50 PM

I'll still give it a shot because the character creator looks like the dog's danglies.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: December 25, 2014, 07:49:51 PM

The catch is that it is a Korean game and they are going to publish it world-wide with a Korean company. They lean too hard on that KSN-to-account method to limit exploits. It will be a bug ridden mess that is completely filled with exploits everywhere else in the world.

If you like the game you may as well learn Korean, because it will be a fucking disaster in the rest of the world.

In fact everyone talking about how well it runs with all of the attack animations and combat and stuff points directly to it being mostly client side.

I'd just write it off right now. I'd love for a single product out of Korea to prove me wrong, but the chances that this are it are slim.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #117 on: December 25, 2014, 08:13:20 PM

I'm not dismissing it as shit, but I'm disappointed they are going to limit the classes based on gender because it promotes sexist attitudes.  Only the men can be warriors and only the women can be archers?  Silly and irresponsible design.

KOREA.

Asia in general doesn't give a fuck about US Coastal concern over gender stereotypes.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #118 on: December 25, 2014, 08:15:19 PM

He does have a point.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #119 on: December 25, 2014, 08:48:14 PM

Yeah, he does. However, I'm not going to bitch about it when it comes from a culture that still somewhat views women as property.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #120 on: December 25, 2014, 08:56:20 PM

I was saying you have a point, but hey.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #121 on: December 25, 2014, 11:23:38 PM

I thought about that after posting and it's a completely valid point. 

Look at that, a Christmas miracle. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: December 26, 2014, 11:44:58 AM

Except no one did that.

I kinda did, and I'm okay with it.  I'm not dismissing it as shit, but I'm disappointed they are going to limit the classes based on gender because it promotes sexist attitudes.  Only the men can be warriors and only the women can be archers?  Silly and irresponsible design.

LOL

I'll still give it a shot because the character creator looks like the dog's danglies.

It's really good.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: December 27, 2014, 05:14:40 PM

I have been playing with this. However, I'm finding it hard to understand what's going on while the game is in Korean (in contrast to Archeage, which I also played on Korean servers and found pretty simple in the early stages). So I will probably wait until the Russian beta comes out - when there is likely to be an unnoficial English language patch - before I give it a serious go.

Character creation is a blast though. You can drag different bits of the face around, set how frizzly you want the facial hair to be, set whether the character should look sweaty(!), decide whether different bits of the face should look aged or not and loads more.

Here is a barbarian type I made:

Some footage of the character editor: http://youtu.be/9rzjzNBCGzY
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:09:08 PM by palmer_eldritch »
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: December 27, 2014, 07:31:22 PM

I have been playing with this. However, I'm finding it hard to understand what's going on while the game is in Korean (in contrast to Archeage, which I also played on Korean servers and found pretty simple in the early stages). So I will probably wait until the Russian beta comes out - when there is likely to be an unnoficial English language patch - before I give it a serious go.

Character creation is a blast though. You can drag different bits of the face around, set how frizzly you want the facial hair to be, set whether the character should look sweaty(!), decide whether different bits of the face should look aged or not and loads more.

Here is a barbarian type I made:

Some footage of the character editor: http://youtu.be/9rzjzNBCGzY

That looks like Ron Perlman in that show he was in with Linda Hamilton, Beauty and the Beast.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #125 on: December 27, 2014, 08:01:21 PM

Across between Perlman and David Boreanaz.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #126 on: January 04, 2015, 12:48:34 PM

The catch is that it is a Korean game and they are going to publish it world-wide with a Korean company. They lean too hard on that KSN-to-account method to limit exploits. It will be a bug ridden mess that is completely filled with exploits everywhere else in the world.

If you like the game you may as well learn Korean, because it will be a fucking disaster in the rest of the world.

In fact everyone talking about how well it runs with all of the attack animations and combat and stuff points directly to it being mostly client side.

I am afraid you are, or will be, 100% right here.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: May 30, 2015, 02:30:11 AM

Hard to pretend this isn't happening. I heard about the many flaws of this game already, but shit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7LJtd-bt0

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: May 30, 2015, 06:08:24 AM

Is that the Gandolfini class?

Edit: Phone error - read Gandolf
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:21:54 PM by Draegan »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #129 on: May 30, 2015, 10:27:42 AM

TangentGaming, the most popular English-speaking Black Desert Twitch streamer is currently leveling his new Wizard (made yesterday). He's up to 43 50 already.

Edit: streamer

Edit 2: actually the game has a soft level cap of 55 not 50 as I originally listed

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:14:42 PM by Trippy »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #130 on: May 30, 2015, 11:30:34 AM

Hard to pretend this isn't happening. I heard about the many flaws of this game already, but shit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7LJtd-bt0

Know what'd be awesome? If we could get a company that embraced the Asian market's understanding of spectacle and mechanics flow with the US market's ADD when it comes to time to dedicate to things.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: September 18, 2015, 08:16:05 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: September 18, 2015, 08:26:24 AM

Ok, this is not Black Desert, so I am officially Off Topic, but I don't want to open a new thread just for Bless, and since it looks like it's going to be the direct competitor to Black Desert in the Korean sandbox business it's not too weird to put this quite stunning video here.

As I said, "Bless" is the name of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfeYTE_ZdI

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:20 AM

Is this game ever coming out? Or is it out in Korea?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: September 18, 2015, 11:19:39 AM

Black Desert is in (open?) beta in Korea, and yes it is coming out in NA and EU, the Korean company (Daum, it's huge) is self publishing it in the West and they just opened a studio in Germany just for that.

Interview with Daum Games Europe

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: September 23, 2015, 05:20:11 AM

Ok, this is not Black Desert, so I am officially Off Topic, but I don't want to open a new thread just for Bless, and since it looks like it's going to be the direct competitor to Black Desert in the Korean sandbox business it's not too weird to put this quite stunning video here.

As I said, "Bless" is the name of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfeYTE_ZdI
Bless online is a 2-faction PvE-themepark, typical grind quests and holy trinity dungeon gameplay, with some instanced PvP-content. Its definitely going to be a competitor in the mmorpg market but there are very few similarities between the games.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #136 on: September 23, 2015, 10:18:58 AM

I think these games may be sandboxing the wrong stuff. Or I've just grown up past the Sandbox everything! Make it like a real virtual world we can live in phase?

I tried to check a little of this out and I saw some kind of insane horse breeding system that involved <some system> that results in your mount actually being fast or not. I'm curious if it involves slot machine elements, I never saw the actual horse birth screen or however it works. Then stabling them different places all so you could have the sandbox joy of long realistic travel times between places in the world. It all looked like a crazy travel time sink just so you could have horse breeding as part of the game. Fuck horse breeding? Seriously sandbox features for the sake of themselves aren't always good.

The thing is for a game to do stuff like that it basically needs to be Eve, where players can do crazy shit everywhere otherwise you are just making my play experience more tedious so that people with more time get more epeen and can play the game how they want to faster and more often than me.

That's also one of the only things I figured out about the game because its crazy in korean and of the about 1hr of streaming I watched basically nothing happened. This is not a dig on BD because all mmo's are fucking awful and boring to watch on twitch in my experience.

I will say you guys getting your panties in a bind over gender locked classes are cute. And this is the only issue that actually matters:

I'd just write it off right now. I'd love for a single product out of Korea to prove me wrong, but the chances that this are it are slim.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:28:38 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: September 27, 2015, 05:00:16 PM

I tried to check a little of this out and I saw some kind of insane horse breeding system that involved <some system> that results in your mount actually being fast or not. I'm curious if it involves slot machine elements, I never saw the actual horse birth screen or however it works.
It's a Korean MMO. There's no "if".
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: September 28, 2015, 09:14:54 AM

Are we going to need to pre-stage an intervention for Lant for the tamer class is my only question...

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: September 28, 2015, 01:54:48 PM

Depends how Korean the rest of the game is.  If Dragon's Prophecy can't hold me, a game where you have stables upon stables of dragons you can fly on right from the start, I'm not sure this will either.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  
Jump to: